PDA

View Full Version : My unhealthy Dachshund

captain cumulonimbus
28th Sep 2005, 21:25
I have a Dachshund,he's about three now,and loves polish vodka and biscuits,particularly the vanilla ones.He's getting quite fat and i would prefer him not to be,but the problem is he whines and cries every time i go over to the fridge or pantry.What to do??? Its pathetic to hear him and i havent the heart to say no,so i give him a biscuit and the occasional half tot.Anyone have an idea how i can get him to stop associating the pantry with food and stop him whining?

kooyheier
28th Sep 2005, 21:27
Be a man and stand your ground.... And if that doesn't work, buy some earplugs for the whining:p
:}

topcat450
28th Sep 2005, 21:36
a bear trap near the pantry entrance. Soon he'll start to associate the pantry with unbearable pain and having to gnaw through his own leg bone to escape.

If that doesn't cure him, either grow a backbone or try the earplugs trick. :ok:

Whirlygig
28th Sep 2005, 21:38
The only way to stop him associating the pantry with food is to STOP giving him titbits and especially not alcohol - you could be killing him with kindness Also bear in mind, that much "human" chocolate can kill a dog.

If he whines, let him. Be firm. You are starting to let him think he's in charge.

Feed him twice a day, his own food and at set times. Feed him before you feed yourself and do not ggive him scraps from the table

Sorry but you must be strict with him.

Cheers

Whirls

turn right heading 365
28th Sep 2005, 22:59
Agree with most of what you say, Whirlygig, except for feeding him first. The alpha male always eats first and this would be re-enforcing his leadership.

Dogs are opportunity feeders so are always ready for a feed, but not necessarily hungry. If your dog has two proper doggy meals a day this is more than enough. Try to desensitize him to the fridge by going there often, sometimes just opening the door and then shutting it, other times getting something out, putting it back and only occasionally eating as a result of going to the fridge.

Whirlygig
28th Sep 2005, 23:06
I see your point trh365 but with any of the dogs I have lived with, feding them first (animals, men, officers principle) meant that they went away to digest the delicious meaty chunks and didn't drool all over the parquet (and subsequently stripping it of varnish) or beg whilst you were eating.

Cheers

Whirls

planepsycho
28th Sep 2005, 23:10
Did you ever consider buying him a dog bone to chew on between meals? :confused:

Rollingthunder
28th Sep 2005, 23:27
Yes, there a plenty of healthy doggie treats available.

Here, there is even a bakery specializing in healthy cookies for dogs.

SyllogismCheck
28th Sep 2005, 23:28
At least dachshunds don't have far to fall if they drink too much. :ok:

BlueEagle
28th Sep 2005, 23:55
You can turn a dog into an alcoholic in about a week and it is a very sad sight to see, you really shouldn't give him any at all.

tinpis
29th Sep 2005, 01:16
Try and get him some healthy outdoor exercise :E

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/dog-fool.gif

captain cumulonimbus
29th Sep 2005, 22:12
thanks for the advice!

i never give him sweets or chocolate,and he gets one main meal per day,in early evening as per the vet's advice,and some doggy chunks in the morning.He insists on licking out my cereal bowl every morning,and howls if i dont put it down for him.I try to limit his alcohol too,he gets it very rarely but really loves a bit of vodka.he's not much into wine or beer.He enjoys onions too,surprisingly.

Im definitely going to be much more strict with him though,i believe they sag if they get too fat.he weighs around 8kg...is this too much?

airship
29th Sep 2005, 22:15
Well Captain, if you have no further need for the Polish vodka, just ship it over here...

ShyTorque
29th Sep 2005, 22:26
Every time you open the fridge or pantry door, kick the dog.

He'll soon get the idea......

tall and tasty
29th Sep 2005, 22:28
CC

Dogs are like children in more ways than one and also they are used to pack living with a hierarchical system where the one who feeds is like his mother. so you are playing that role to him and a 3 year old dog is very young still and needs to be taught who is the boss.

A fat dog will have a half life with numerous problems and little breeds like Dachs have more than there fair share.

He needs to be destracted from the going to the cupboard and associating it with food. If you go and he starts take a ball with you and roll it across the floor. He will be distracted for a second and interested thinking it is food. He will then play rather then want to eat. The go to the cupboard and do something different so he does not associate the same action with you walkimg to the cupboard.

He will learn very quickly that the door opening there does not mean food.

Try measuring out what he would have in one meal into three much smaller meals. Greedy dogs then think they are getting fed loads and loads but and this is the big thing you have to stick to the strick amount and not titbits in between. If he has dry biscuit with meat give him a few of the bics to eat if he is persistant and as they are not very tasty he will get bored pestering.

Take him for more exercise even if it is one of the balls that has holes in it and you can put a doggie small snack inside and then food becomes a challenge as it did in the wild

Have fun, you are the top dog in the house and he has to understand that.

You will relax and have a heathier and happier pooch

Every time you open the fridge or pantry door, kick the dog.

Please please do not do this even the most placid of animals will turn and it may not be on you but on a child. I applaude you never to use this and Shy T, I hope that was said in jest. I have seen horrendous injuries even little dogs can inflict on owners just from this action

TnT

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2005, 22:34
>A fat dog will have a half life with numerous problems and little breeds like Dachs have more than there fair share.

What's the difference between a market trader and a (fat) dachshund?
The market trader bawls out his wares . . .

ShyTorque
29th Sep 2005, 22:36
TnT,

:rolleyes:

Er YES, I WAS joking......

"I have seen horrendous injuries even little dogs can inflict on owners just from this action"

BTW, Dachshunds only have little legs and can't kick very hard...

And what's this - a Dachshund walls out his bears? :confused:

Whirlygig
29th Sep 2005, 22:43
Sounds like the poem by Les Barker ....

"Dachshunds, with erections, can't climb stairs"

Each night she's on the balcony
He loves her from afar
His soft, sad eyes are hypnotised
She shines down like a star.
His heart will break forever
His kind can't have affairs
For Dachshunds with erections...
Can't climb stairs.

His home's a humble bungalow
And her's a penthouse flat
He cannot go where she can go
And that, they say. is that.
He never can be near her
Although she knows he cares
For Dachshunds with erections...
Can't climb stairs.

You want to win a woman?
Just be cool... be aloof
The dog who doesn't hit the stairs
Can make it to the roof.
The dog who doesn't care
Will be the dog who wins the day
You'll never get to heaven...
With your chopper in the way.

The spirit soars, the body falls
And heavy lies the heart
That cries out with the pain of love
Be still my broken part.
How painful is the passion
And painful the repairs
For Dachshunds with erections
Can't climb stairs.

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
29th Sep 2005, 22:46
For years I had that very same problem and had to move into a bungalow. ;) :O

tall and tasty
29th Sep 2005, 22:47
You'll never get to heaven...With your chopper in the way.

sounds like something a girl would say to a heli pilot

TnT :p :E :p

Whirlygig
29th Sep 2005, 22:47
Try standing on two feet!!

Oh, you were ;) :p :suspect:

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
29th Sep 2005, 22:51
Sometimes the chopper takes the lady to heaven......... :p

Sometimes it's difficult, standing on two feet of chopper....

tall and tasty
29th Sep 2005, 22:53
Sometimes the chopper takes the lady to heaven.........

I had a very enjoyable ride in one a couple of weeks ago and that was half way to heaven and back.

TnT:}

Ps apologises CC I don't want to hijack the thread

airship
29th Sep 2005, 23:09
There could be a case for prosecuting all Dachshund owners who don't live in bungalows. At least when the lifts don't work. I'm reminded of that indomitable phrase uttered in a big studio somewhere "One small step for man, one giant leap forward for mankind". Consider the predicament of the Dachshund whose residence is on the 3rd floor. Every step is a giant leap. But do you read about his exploits? Can you visit a science museum extolling his virtues? I rest my case...

frostbite
30th Sep 2005, 12:57
I am reminded of the dachs owned by a local doctor....

It nearly died from its sneezing fits when they went out.

It would sneeze, bang its nose on the ground which made it sneeze, bang its nose on the ground........

They often found the poor thing in a state of near collapse when they returned - picking it up for a couple of minutes broke the cycle.

Gouabafla
30th Sep 2005, 15:41
If you want to understand a bit more about canine psychology, I strongly reccomend Steven Budiansky's book The Truth About Dogs (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/075381322X/qid=1128094743/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/202-8581951-1831069).

It's an extremely affectionate, but far from sentimental look at canines and well worth a read. I notice that Amazon have dropped the price, too.