PDA

View Full Version : Why Does the RAF have the Harrier today?

Pierre Argh
28th Sep 2005, 19:45
IMMSMC, twenty years or so ago, the RAF Harrier force was the mainstay of the support for BAOR/BFG, and was perfect for the job flying from mexe-strips and hides in the N.German countryside, ready to fight-back (OK, delay?) the communist hoards charging over the E.German Border etc, etc...

Today the GR7/9 cannot go near the smallest bit of gravel without Fod'ing an engine, so is operationally mud/sand-moving from airfields (a role also performed by Tornado and Jaguar)...

Of course, it also embarks on Pusser's Flat-tops; where it is about to replace the FA2, a multi-role aircraft that could both attack and provide organic air defence. True the GR7/9 has a better engine than the FA2 and all that entails for endurance, pay-load etc etc... but what puzzles me is how the single role airframe won over the multi-role variant?

ISTM that an enhanced SHAR would be able to bomb and dog-fight... on land and over the sea. Troops on the front line might be as desperate for fighter cover as for ground support... and jack onboard would, I'm sure, be equally happy with the protection of a first line of air defence (let's not forget HMS Sheffield/Coventry et al). There may be elements of "Jack of all trades" about the SHAR, but is a third type of bomber in the light-blue inventory really necessary?

I realise an arguement that cites twenty plus year old conflicts is going to be slagged off... Nice toys, but could someone please explain why the RAF are still in the Harrier Force today?

... in coming!!!!

BEagle
28th Sep 2005, 19:49
I thought the very same thing when flying over Cottesmore today. An aerodrome with a nice long runway - can the beloved 'bona jet' actually make it from one end to the other with any sort of a load without needing to refuel?

Too many Harrier mafia in high places to accept that the whizzy little thing has had its day?

ORAC
28th Sep 2005, 20:31
Simplistic answer,

1. Jack of all trades, master of none. In the present environment a platform has to show it equals the ability of other dedicated platforms, else it stays on the deck not being used.

2. Range, payload and PGW ability dominate.

3. No one has the billions to replace a platform halfway through the planned life just because the threat has changed. Modify and muddle through.

buoy15
28th Sep 2005, 21:12
Why are you people knocking things all the time?

The Harrier was and is a brilliant British invention

No other nation or aero company has come close to producing similar

It's the only ac the US have bought and developed (AV8B) apart from the Canberra (U2), from another country, which says a lot

Pierre
You need to go to an airshow and see a Harrier display to appreciate both the potential and versatiltaty of this remarkable flying machine

Beags
As an avid lover and pilot of aeroplanes, you surprise me with your comments. Take another pill and go to bed.

Love many, Trust a few, Always paddle your own canoe!

B15

Bing
28th Sep 2005, 21:31
I think you'll find the Canberra became the B-57, not the U-2.

Apart from that, a brilliant invention the Harrier may be, but that doesn't answer the question of why the RAF need it. The only time the Harrier uses its VSTOL capability these days seems to be going on and off a ship, which leads to a whole new argument about whether they should be a Strike asset or a Fleet asset. But if you're just going to be using runways it's a bit over the top.

FJJP
28th Sep 2005, 21:40
The Harrier has the capability to operate from short [relatively unprepared] strips using STOL, unlike the Tornado and other types that need a long, clean, runway.

So the GR7/9 can fly off a ship, carry out a strike and refuel/re-arm at a FOB which could be, for example, on a short piece of road.

If the fully-loaded ac launches from a carrier and does not complete the mission for some reason, it may not have the performance to land back on without jettisoning the stores; it can, however, land at a FARP [Forward Arming And Refuelling] point, thus saving munitions for re-use. This can be a spot, far forward [even forward of the FEBA], set up with the Tac Logs outfit, also refuelling and rebriefing from a Chinook or Herc refueller - Air Launched Arming And Refueling [ALARP] point.

Flexibility is the key to air power...

buoy15
28th Sep 2005, 21:52
FJJP

Spot on mate!

I'm in your gang

Military jet noise, the sound of freedom!

dirtygc
28th Sep 2005, 22:18
RAF Harriers are still the mainstay you fool. Go anywhere at any time for any job. Look at the Afghan deployment for instance, extended once again because the Jag Fags and Tonka Plonkas can't use the poorly runway, ah didums, how versatile is that then.

As for the FOD issue, pah. All engines suffer roughly the same amount of 'erosion/impact damage', it's only because the mighty pegasus is so visable to even the daftest of monkeys that it gets picked up on servicings. Just because t'other Jets ecu's are so far down the arse end doesn't mean that FOD evaporates once it enters the intake.

eeeeeee lad, when god was giving out brains you were doing a handstand.

earswentpop
28th Sep 2005, 22:18
Pierre ...

Mate,

You are delusional. For FA2 in the ground attack role, say "Hawk", in almost every respect ('cept hoovering). In other words, not a serious wargoer.

The Crabs are breathing for the Fleet Air Arm (Finger?) for the forseeable future. A little gratitude would be more appropriate.

You should also note that, in capability terms, there is no comparison between your quoted Harriers from 'BAOR/BFG' days and GR7/7a GR9/9a. Do keep up.

Bing
28th Sep 2005, 22:32
Poor runways, short strips and emergency landings are all times when we use VSTOL.

Fair one, I assumed if there wasn't water surrounding it, it was a long runway!

FB11
28th Sep 2005, 22:33
Pierre/ORAC,

I'm not sure what your reason for starting/adding to this thread are but it does sound a little like sour grapes. You've received some very candid replies which all make sense if you (hopefully) digest them. To add:

1. During TELIC, JFH (there was one RN pilot) had ZERO (nil, none, no, not one) engine removal for FOD. The mighty fin up the road had 19. NINETEEN. If I knew how to make the capitals bigger I would. We also had 91% serviceability and 93% sortie completion rate. I welcome your thoughts on those stats.

2. The reason the Harriers are in Afghanistan is that the Fins could not operate, and can still not operate, from the available strip.

3. Much as it galls me to say, the comments about the FA2, once you pick out the wheat from the chaff, are correct. Multi role we were, but capability? Have a read of the many comments (mine included) in the well beaten dead horse the "Sea Jet" thread.

JFH provides just shy of 25% of the total UK strike force and is deployed on 50 % of the current UK ops. Do the maths as to "Why does the RAF have the Harrier today?"

Oh yes, Pierre. Questioning the Harrier? Questioning the JSF? Single seat envy?

Jackonicko
28th Sep 2005, 23:21
Better payload/range than a Jag, more deployable than a Tornado, more useful than a SHar. So what if the STOVL trickery is largely an irrelevance nowadays?

But we ought to be keeping Jag, too. Cheaper to run than a Tornado or a Harrier, more deployable than a Harrier, more versatile than either. So what if the payload/range equation is a bit poor?

HAL Pilot
29th Sep 2005, 01:04
It's the only ac the US have bought and developed (AV8B) apart from the Canberra (U2), from another country The U2 is not the same aircraft as the Canberra nor was it derived from it. The U2 was developed at the Lockheed Skunkworks in the early to mid 1950s. It is not a British design.

Great job on the Harrier though :ok:

Jackonicko
29th Sep 2005, 01:14
and the DH4.

And the B-57 Canberra.

And the T-45 Goshawk.

And the C-27 Spartan.

And now the US101.

MarkD
29th Sep 2005, 01:45
Looks like the WB-57 (operating for NASA) will outlive RAF Canberras...

seand
29th Sep 2005, 03:31
(It's the only ac the US have bought and developed (AV8B) apart from the Canberra (U2), from another country, which says a lot)

I thought that in the 60's the US helped fund the peg!

As a designer the SHAR is a great airframe not too much plastic, bring back good old metal fuselages, although saying that the Har GR7/9 is a much more advanced fuselage then the SHAR .

Climebear
29th Sep 2005, 07:37
FB11

Good to hear form you again - are you getting a fealing of deja vue too! All we need now is a fictitious scenario and a copy of Beachead!

caspertheghost
29th Sep 2005, 08:06
Jackonicko

I don't see how you can say the Jag is more versatile than the Harrier. How is it more deployable too?
The advantage with the Jag that I can see is that we own the licence for it now and can develop all sorts of new toys such as Helmet Mounted Sight and fancy datalinks. If only we were allowed to fit such trickery into the Harrier or Tonka we could increase our capability even further.
The poor old Jag cannot operate in the conditions we find ourselves in today (hot and high) with anything resembling a warload. That is why the range/payload thing is so important.

maxburner
29th Sep 2005, 08:31
Casper,

Your data link argument does not hold water. The Tornado (in the F3 guise) has an excellent link 16 capability and has for many years now. The GR4 is getting it soon-ish. The GR7/9 should get at least the IDM in the same timescales as the GR4.

It also seems to me that the GR7 is doing a good deployed ops job in Afghanistan.

Regards,

MB

caspertheghost
29th Sep 2005, 11:31
Max, I agree with what you say, but why has a legacy aircraft that is being retired got better kit than our front line aircraft? It's all very well saying that we're going to get the kit, but we want it now.
I was only trying to find something nice to say about the Jaguar! ;)

PPRuNeUser0211
29th Sep 2005, 11:39
Jag? I heard it's got plenty of power;) single engine ops to save fuel and the rest.....

Pilot Pacifier
29th Sep 2005, 18:10
Quote...

Today the GR7/9 cannot go near the smallest bit of gravel without Fod'ing an engine, so is operationally mud/sand-moving from airfields (a role also performed by Tornado and Jaguar)...

I beg to differ!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/_79_Vortex/Harrier.jpg

I took this at the Roundnice Airshow just north of Prague in June this year!

PP

orca
29th Sep 2005, 20:21
Whilst i remain a staunch realist about retirement of the SHAR, let's not go calling it a Hawk with respect to it's A-G capability. It clearly cannot utilise PGMs but as for dropping dumb bombs (which still do exist...no seriously, they do) it can match any UK platform bar none.

No, not a 'save the Sea Jet' post but you must be polite and accurate about the Old Girl.

flipflopman RB199
29th Sep 2005, 21:57
As for the FOD issue, pah. All engines suffer roughly the same amount of 'erosion/impact damage', it's only because the mighty pegasus is so visable to even the daftest of monkeys that it gets picked up on servicings. Just because t'other Jets ecu's are so far down the arse end doesn't mean that FOD evaporates once it enters the intake.

That's not strictly though true is it? As someboby else alluded to in this thread, The Tornados apparently had 19 engine changes during Telic whilst the Harriers had none? A questionable claim, but a claim none the less.

If FOD damage is only easy for "monkeys" to spot when it is as visible as the Pegasus is on the Harrier, then how did the "monkeys" spot the FOD damage on the deeply buried engines of the Tornados?

"All engines suffer roughly the same amount of 'erosion/impact damage"

What a complete and utter load of Ar$e!!

All Engines are subject to strict limits and tolerances regarding FOD damage, and that doesn't matter whether it is a Pegasus, or RB199. If the engine is damaged beyond limits, it is changed.

Surroundings will have an impact on the extend of erosion/impact damage. Are you suggesting that an engine from the Gulf will have a comparable amount of impact/erosion damage as an engine that has spent the last few years punching holes around Norfolk?

Harriers ARE susceptible to FOD, the major reason being the same as you imply it is spotted. There is an enormous fan not 4 feet above the ground, powerfully sucking in a huge amount of air. Is it unreasonable to suggest that a large amount of crap is going to be picked up by this swirling mass of air, and passed through the compressor?

Tornados are also affected by FOD, however, this would be vastly reduced if Thrust Reverse wasn't regularly employed below the 60kt minumum. Instead of being used as an alternative to the footbrakes!

Jacko,

But we ought to be keeping Jag, too. Cheaper to run than a Tornado or a Harrier, more deployable than a Harrier, more versatile than either. So what if the payload/range equation is a bit poor?

If only you had a more up to date vision of the Jaguar, with it's multitude of sporadic leaks, numerous wiring problems, and labyrinth of age related cracks, perhaps you too would see it with Clear Tinted Spectacles:E

And that will do for this evening........

climbs off Sunlight soap box

ARINC
29th Sep 2005, 22:06
Having had the pleasure of 5 albeit not to recent years on the HF in Germany.

When operating in the field, Sennelager etc...A FODDED (sp) Jet would only usually need a Fan change...not the entire engine.

Still took a day though.

M609
30th Sep 2005, 12:04
The Harrier is more sensitive to sanded runways/taxiways than F-16s btw. (The F-16 is a hoover in it's own right)

Bluntend
30th Sep 2005, 15:24
Its important to note that although some engines are more FOD tolerant than others, most of the engines we operate are pretty robust (just look at the adour - well, the Mk 104 anyway). If FOD is visible and the damage is OOL and cannot be blended in situ, the engine will be changed. Although FOD is often found on strip, it is not always the cause for rejection and having FOD listed on a strip report can somtimes skew the analysis of any investigation into that rejection. With surge, for example, it is not easy to ascertain the exact cause when the engine is in bits in the bay, however, FOD is likely to be found at some stage within the engine especially if it is high life and is occasionally cited as a (if not the) contributary factor to the rejection.

As for "the Jaguar, with it's multitude of sporadic leaks, numerous wiring problems, and labyrinth of age related cracks". I totally agree. We've got our moneys worth out of the Jag but its on its last legs - most are pretty much held together with PRC.

Jackonicko
30th Sep 2005, 15:54
If one were keeping the Jag Force (or a small part thereof), the sensible solution would be to take the 2,000 hr ground instructional GR1 jets from Cosford, give them a major, and convert them to 3As (which would cost less than the £450k per jet paid for the current 5-7,000 hr 3As, since many LRUs could be robbed). That this is possible has already been demonstrated (two ex-GI aircraft have been converted straight from 1 to 3A).

And even if you didn't do that solving the Jags leaks and wiring would cost far less, per airframe, than the new rear fuselages required to keep the GR7s and 9s in service.

Nor is it an 'either/or' - keeping an enlarged Jag unit would give the Harrier GR7/9 and GR4 fleets a sporting chance of making it to their planned OSDs, which would otherwise look difficult to achieve without very major expenditure, and would give the RAF a FJ that was cheaper and easier to rapidly deploy, with a smaller logs footprint and that can do recce, TIALD, PWIII, etc. at least as well as either of its complementary platforms.

XR219
30th Sep 2005, 16:29
And the C-27 Spartan.

Erm, don't you mean the C-23 Sherpa? The C-27 is a G.222.

flipflopman RB199
30th Sep 2005, 17:36
Would either of those ex GI Jags you refer to be one of the Taxiable/Ground Running airframes Jacko?

As opposed to the mangled/hacked at/battered majority of ground instruction Jags at Cosford.

Having seen and worked around some of those training airframes that have been used for the past 20 years to train ham fisted 16 year olds the intricacies of complex aircraft maintainence, I think they would need a DAMN sight more than a major, and robbed LRU's to make them anything like serviceable.

Perhaps there are a few which have had their hydraulic / electrical systems kept in working order, but the majority of them are in a very poor state indeed. I do believe a study was actually carried out on the viability of re-introducing some of those aircraft into service, but was rejected on the amount of work that would be required, and ultimately, cost.

A great shame, as I actually quite like the Jag, as clearly you do yourself, but the realities of the situation mean that they have indeed had their day.

HOODED
30th Sep 2005, 18:09
Think you'll find most of the GI Jags have major frame cracks which is why they're GI in the first place.They would require Frame replacement to make them airworty and it's simply too expensive. Bit like the major structural repairs required to keep the SHAR going which is why it was binned and the savings put into upgrading the younger GR7.

Jackonicko
30th Sep 2005, 21:03
There are a number of recently retired Jags serving as GI airframes, and these do tend to have effectively irreperable Frame 25 damage, but there are also a shedload of ex RAFG GR1s, most of which have less than 2,000 FH on the clock, and which are in excellent condition, structurally. Two of the latter were converted to GR3A as a feasibility study, and the judgement was that the effort involved was no greater than for an in service GR1A/B - but that you gained a lot of airframe life. They did require a major, however.

India are extremely interested in these aircraft.

flipflopman RB199
30th Sep 2005, 21:15
HOODED,

Think you'll find that the entire fleet has Frame 25 cracks, and that most of the GI fleet has far less extensive damage than the in service aircraft.

It is true that this is the reason they are GI aircraft, however, these aircraft were simply the first to show signs of it, and as it was feared to be potentially terminal, panic ensued, and the aircraft were cleared "one flight only" to their final destinations as instructional airframes. However, it was subsequently discovered that the cracking was not nearly as important as first suspected. With regular monitoring of these cracks, the Jag has continued for a very long time, and as I said earlier, most of the GI frame cracks are far smaller than serving aircraft.

Most of the panels, hoses, pipes, tanks, rest of the aircraft....etc etc... is in far worse condition however!!

roughneck1
30th Sep 2005, 21:16
Go to Kandahar-Thats reason enough!!!!!

7FF
2nd Oct 2005, 07:38
Nah.
buoy15 got it right. Good for airshows.
Red noses anyone.:ok:

2Old2Care
2nd Oct 2005, 16:22
quote:

The U2 is not the same aircraft as the Canberra nor was it derived from it. The U2 was developed at the Lockheed Skunkworks in the early to mid 1950s. It is not a British design.

Strictly true. Indeed, Martin were asked to produce a developed variant of their licence-built RB-57 (i.e. the PR.3) for the requirement. But the Canberra PR.3 was the benchmark for high altitude recce at the time, what with Kasputin Yar and the world record attempts and all, so I'd always understood that Lockheed were "inspired by" the Canberra when developing the U2 in a remarkably short time frame.

Anyway, HAL, I came across an American writing on the Kasputin Yar mission who helpfully explained for his readers that the Canberaa was the "the British variant of the Martin B-57". So, the Canberra was really an American design all along.

Not sure I understand all this fuss about the Harrier. Would it help if it was renamed the Sea Harrier FR.9? (oh, of course, it's only single role...)

:hmm:

caspertheghost
2nd Oct 2005, 19:38
Jackonicko
Not wishing to slag off the Jaguar or it's pilots, but it cannot do recce, TIALD or PW3 as well as it's complimentary platforms....

Unless it's complimentary platforms are Cessna 152s
:ok:

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Oct 2005, 20:13
At last something gets mentioned on MIL that I actually have in my logbook :ok:

The Rocket
2nd Oct 2005, 21:05
Casper,

Ooh, I don't know.

With those two little hairdryer engines, it's certainly a lot quieter than its complimentary platforms when operating in a recce role ;) :p :p

MSF
3rd Oct 2005, 03:35
Spotter alert!
The U2 used the Starfighter fuselage - both designed by 'Kelly' Johnson.

Also , on the first trip to Vigo Woods in '89, the GR5's went through the entire stock of mainwheels and outriggers in a couple of days on their first gravel excursion.
To my knowledge, no hoovers were killed due to ingestion of said gravel, but that was just before the funny bend in the fuselage was found just behind the hot air nozzles on ACMI in Deci.

Flobadob
3rd Oct 2005, 12:37
The shar/harrier is still the best CAS aircraft the RAF/RN has.

It can go anywhere, do just about any worthwhile sortie the grunts,yanks,fishheads want us to do.

As much as I hate the little sods when they are cocking up my conventional visual circuit, there is no doubt that the shar/harrier is a superb British aircraft which has proven itself in battle. This is more than can be said for the F3 which I believe has never fired in anger?

Anyway, we invented it, the yanks didn't and as every harrier pilot is always keen to tell the air traffic ladies at happy hour.......

................ happiness is vectored thrust.:yuk:

Beermonkey
3rd Oct 2005, 15:08
True, the F3 has never fired in anger. But then I would wager most people haven't had to claim on their insurance policy......

:=

RAF QWI
3rd Oct 2005, 18:49
Casper,
A polite but erroneous statement.
PWIII isn't a "role". Notwithsatnding, the Fin and the Harrier can carry more weapons, higher and further so their PWIII capability is enhanced compared to the Jag.
The integration of the Joint Recce Pod (JRP - for a reason, the J originally meant Jaguar) and the TIALD pod (200 and 400) was/is better than either of the other 2 platforms. Indeed the capability of the 400 pod on the Jag remains slightly better than the 500 on the Harrier or the Fin, despite claims regarding the 500's "aledged" improved ball motor control, video stability, enhanced IR picture and reduced IR "thumbprint", and higher service ceiling. The feed from the IN is superior to that in the other 2 ac and goes a long way to creating a much more stable picture for the pilot to use his superior HOTAS. Latency at a tenth (roughly, to be more exact would be indiscrete) of the other types also helps significantly. I firmly believe that spot stability is the key to a decent hit with PW II or III - the Jag provides the most stable spot (and without an autopilot !!!). As far as the recce pod is concerned, I think the software/pod combo gives the Jag greater flex than the Harrier; I won't tarnish the forum with talk about the Raptor.
Undoubtedly, the Harrier can take its pod a bit further than the Jag can take its pod, (TIALD or recce) and with the added advantage of a proper warload including a terrific weapons mix.

If consideration is now being given to putting Litening and/or a recce pod onto Typhoon, then it's to the Jaguar that they need look for lessons on integration. As long as they look at the Harrier for lessons in the importance of mixed load capability and how not having a gun can limit options.

caspertheghost
3rd Oct 2005, 20:46
You're absolutely right RAF QWI.
The integration of the JRP and TIALD is better in the Jag, but what I am getting at is that all that extra capability in the avionics side can't be matched with the ability to haul said bombs to the target in the types of conditions we find ourselves operating in these days.
What annoys me is the fact that the Jag, a so called legacy airframe, has better avionics and software integration that our other two mud jets in service today. Imagine the potential we would have with GR9 and a Litening 2 pod, some of the avionics from the Jag and a Helmet Mounted Sight. But then again, BAE Systems would have to get involved and it would all get too difficult.
As for putting the Litening on Typhoon, what's wrong with putting it on a jet that's already in full service and needs it now?
Money, I guess:(

Always_broken_in_wilts
5th Oct 2005, 13:51
Have a look at the "Al-Qa'eda gets the RAF's message" thread then you will have the answer to this thread:ok:

Simple innit:rolleyes:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Pierre Argh
5th Oct 2005, 15:14
I tried the thread ABIW suggests... but just got re-directed to this one? I presume it refers to some effective use of the GR7/9 by the RAF... but, as to answering this thread, I somehow doubt it explains why the aircraft is still being flown by the RAF?

RAF QWI
5th Oct 2005, 18:58
CTG,
Interestingly (I think so anyway), a lot of folk believe that the main reason that the RAF was able to upgrade the Jag so effectively was because we "owned" the rights to the aircraft, having taken them back from BAe as the ac grew too old for the company to maintain an interest.
The truth is more to do with a willingness of the then Jag IPT and its leader (a Gp Capt Engineer) to "assume the risk" of a lot of the specifics of the upgrade, particularly to GR1B standard. By applying common sense, it was quite simple to guage the relative risks vs merit of different parts of the upgrade;weighing in the balance the information from "a competent authority" as to the worthiness of equipment and software. The clever bit was in deciding whether or not your chosen "authority" was competent. An example would be the modification to the ejection seat to cater for the auto-removal of the goggs upon pulling the seat handle. Martin Baker were adamant that the mod could not be done safely for less than a prohibitive amount of cash. QinetiQ (DERA) had a mechanism, proven well beyond the stated requirements that MB had failed to achieve, which even the RAF could afford. But it would never have been installed if the IPT hadn't been willing to take DERAs testing as sufficiently "authoritative", over the "establishment authority of choice"
The point I'm rather cack-handedly making is that the RAF could in fact do exactly the same for a lot of other upgrades/programmes, because, and this is the clincher, we own the aircraft. Unfortunately, no one high up in the food chain (said Gp Capt for example was unceremoniousy dumped from his next job after promotion for putting civil service noses out of joint) is willing to put their name to any kind of "risk" - so we end up throwing, illogically but career enhancingly, good money after bad in an impossible search for certainty.
Now, it so happens that JackoNicko, who knows the people concerned very well, may be able to provide better examples, and more eloquently express all our frustrations that none of the lessons of the Jag upgrade have been embedded into our procurement culture or our relationship with BWOS.

Tamaze Man
5th Oct 2005, 20:53
RAF QWI,

eloquently put! Unfortunately the HSE and European legislation that we are forced to adhere to has meant that the IPTs fear taking any risk. Nowadays it is only when dealing with the smaller programmes that we can slip one past the net. I believe the majority of people involved in upgrades do not really understand the concept of 'risk'. To most, it is something to be avoided and certainly not something to put ones name to. If we could only get people to understand that risk is something we accept, but manage! That is the difference. I know some who adopt this approach and take the pragmatic and sensible (but still operationally focused view), which means an awful lot can be accomplished with relatively little.

Getting to why the RAF still has the Harrier, I ask a simple question.......... why not? It is a very capable bit of kit; yes, a radar would be nice, but it is primarily a mud moving aircraft, and I would dare say that there are more than a few lads on the ground who are happy to see a decent CAS platform pitch up.

Data-Lynx
3rd Nov 2005, 07:39
Careful to avoid the Sea Jet thread and hopeful that I have never shown FJ tendencies, may I nevertheless commend 3 Squadron (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/news_0511_02.html) and their return home from Kandahar. In this this joint (really) detachment, the aircrew, maintainers and support teams have reset the Joint Harrier Force capability benchmark. In a challenging 4 month deployment in support of ISAF and coalition forces operating in the troubled southern area of Afghanistan, 3(Fighter) Squadron's detachment has seen a marked increase in operational activity for the Harriers, who have maintained aircraft and crews at 30 minutes readiness to launch during daylight hours to support troops on the ground. Their very presence has often been enough to coerce the insurgents into submission, but they have also had to deliver numerous weapons onto hostile targets with great precision to allow coalition forces to continue their operations.
They have completed their last GR7A (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/images/limage_05_13_1.jpg) operational sortie and will move on to the Typhoon. Cracking job and well done.

threepointonefour
3rd Nov 2005, 17:19
Why Does the RAF have the Harrier today?

Airshows.

STANDTO
3rd Nov 2005, 18:21
the point everyone is missing is that it is extremely easy to fly, as demonstrated by Arnie in ' True Lies'

DEL Mode
4th Nov 2005, 16:49
Why do the Navy have ships?

Why do the Army have tanks?

Why do Politicians lie?

Cause they do.

seand
5th Nov 2005, 04:34
RAF QWI

Interesting comments regarding upgrading your jets, do you know what is involved in keeping a full set of engineering drawings/data updated to reflect every minor change, checking with each system design/engineering authority to ensure that all changes integrate with the existing systems.

There seems to be many in this forum who have a real problem with the support British industry (BAES, WHL etc) gives the jets that you fly, one should take a look at the red tape, the requirements, the spec’s, Def std’s, Mil specs and then more red tape that we have to go through to design and then introduce a mod to an airframe, who places these requirements on us, YOU do. Although these requirements can be a pain they are there for a reason and that is the safety of the guy flying the jet

I remember in the early 80’s we could design and manufacture a mod kit set and then retro install it on to an airframe within a few weeks, with to days processes a mod could take months to get authorised let alone installed on an airframe.

Keep knocking British Industry but please remember that it contains engineers who’s first priority is to ensure the safety of the person flying the jet and if we have to go through all of the red tape, the requirements, the spec’s, Def std’s, Mil specs and then more red tape the so be it as long as the guy flying the jet is safe.

DEL Mode
5th Nov 2005, 08:33
RAF QWI,

And I would suggest that the industry is risk adverse view are the reason that the governance of military flying operations may be due for change.

It is believed by some that the processes to qualify military mods are not robust enough to meet the civilian model. I accept an argument that the roles are different, however, most flying of UK military aircraft is done over friendly (non hostile) airspace, and therefore the safety requirements must be as good as those required for civil.

I would suspect that the days of go-it alone (SEM/STF) upgrades are drawing to a close.

Lima Juliet
16th Nov 2005, 16:32
Hate to butt in on the short-runways business, but in the Fin we would often work the MOS (Minimum Operating Strip) of 5000ft with a warload fitted during TACEVAL/MINEVALs. I think the Italians invented the reverse thrust as you can actually go backwards with it - very effective:ok: Put in a cable and you can use less.

Is that much different to the RAF airfield in Afghanistan and is there a cable?

LJ

PS I think the airshow and airship arguments have hit the nail on the head...

The Helpful Stacker
16th Nov 2005, 16:46
Is that much different to the RAF airfield in Afghanistan and is there a cable?

I believe 5001 Sqn put a PAAG in there quite a while back.

Right here right now
16th Nov 2005, 17:07
Leon - In answer to your question, yes it goes well below that and varies on an almost hourly basis at times, and no there's not a cable.

caspertheghost
17th Nov 2005, 09:48
LJ
A full warload maybe, but in Europe in winter I'll bet. The Tonka can't be operated from KAF in the state it's in at the moment (the airfield, not the jet!), but as you are no doubt aware, the GR4 should be taking over when the runway is relaid.

bowly
17th Nov 2005, 10:20
Casper,

Who told you that (GR4's going to 'stan)? Misinformed....

caspertheghost
17th Nov 2005, 12:23
That's news to me, as far as I was aware they were meant to be heading out next summer. Having said that, we were only meant to be there for only 9 months....
Have you heard something I haven't?

bowly
18th Nov 2005, 08:40
The only answer I can give you to the post above is 'yes'. Sorry!!

Wyler
19th Nov 2005, 09:16
I believe the latest mod allows the airframe to be fitted with a Jazz Singer. Effective on short notice PR sorties.