PDA

View Full Version : Machmeter info required

BubblesBarker
28th Sep 2005, 16:31
I picked up a machmeter at a jumble sale recently (thought I'd fit it to my car!). It registers from Mach .5 up to 1.0, was made by Kelvin and has the serial number K7018 painted on the top surface. From a bit of rapid internet research, it looks like the kind of instrument fitted to the Folland Gnat. I don't think the serial number relates to the aircraft serial (couldn't find an XK7018) and just wondered if there was anybody out there that might have an idea of the likely origin of this instrument - is there any way of telling?

mbga9pgf
29th Sep 2005, 10:35
Dont know about the make, but you might want to be careful with the luminous faces on those things, especially if the glass is broken; the older ones had tritium paint and as such are supposed to be treated as radioactive waste. so dont go licking your fingers after touching it :} :}

BEagle
29th Sep 2005, 11:05
0.5 to 1.0 sounds too low for the Gnat - we went supersonic during flying training, so a Machmeter with a 1.0 limit wouldn't have been much use. I can't remember exactly, but didn't we just have the OR946 combined ASI and Machmeter plus the 'precision ASI'? Or was that in the Bucc? Did we actually have a standalone Machmeter in the Gnat?

highcirrus
29th Sep 2005, 11:09
Yes - standalone and I seem to recall it went up to Mach 1.3

Rocket2
29th Sep 2005, 12:13
BB
Kelvin is a good make & from my long passed techy days may have been fitted to Vulcan, JP or Meteor a/c (Beagle maybe able to answer that). If the serial number is painted on (as you state) then it is probably a unit serial number that is pretty meaningless now. If there is a data plate bonded (or mor often riveted) onto the case that may provide a part number, it may also be engraved or stamped (and painted over black) onto the dial face, look carefully here. Good Luck.
R2

ImageGear
29th Sep 2005, 12:17
I would be pretty confident that if you put up a jpg, it would be identified in minutes. The guys may not recall specifics but they will recall a picture.

If you need help, just shout,

Imagegear