PDA

View Full Version : CF card problems

Cornish Jack
27th Sep 2005, 21:55
I have a number of CF cards of varying sizes which I use in my digital cameras. In the past, I have successfully downloaded the photos to laptops and desktops using USB and parallel port card readers of various types. My migration to XP has offered the 'helpful' pop-up box giving options to download, run slideshows etc. All very splendid, BUT having used this facility, the cards are no longer recognised by the cameras when they are re-inserted. :confused:
I understand that these cards need to be formatted as FAT or FAT 16 to be camera compatible. I also understood that it was possible to reformat them in XP but my attempts to do so have all failed.:{
I'm wondering (from a knowledge base of ZERO!!) whether XP is reformatting the cards to NTFS during the download process and that is causing the problem??
Any gurus out there with relevant knowledge, helpful hints or suggestions, please?
TIA

Conan the Librarian
27th Sep 2005, 22:36
Always format the card in the camera and NEVER in the computer. Common stds are a wonderful thing, but some standards are more common than others

If that does not solve your problem I will send you a fiver.

Conan

Cornish Jack
28th Sep 2005, 11:34
Thanks Conan - I would be only too happy to format in the camera ....... if only the camera would recognise the card for formatting!!!:{
The need to format in the computer is down to the cards being recognised there but not in the camera!!:confused:

Conan the Librarian
28th Sep 2005, 14:18
Hmmmm... Nice one! I think a quick ring or email to your camera manufacturer might be in order here. I would have a Gurgle on Google for you, but sadly, am in a bit of a rush right now. There is a simple solution here, but what it might be I simply do not know at present :-)

Back later!

Conan

Cornish Jack
28th Sep 2005, 17:48
Thanks again Conan.
I've tried a Google and downloaded a CNetX Flash Format trial program which claims to do the business.:D
I'll give it a whirl on the worst case card and see what happens.:hmm:
I'll let you know if it works ......... or if it doesn't!!:{

Cornish Jack
30th Sep 2005, 10:41
The immortal lines!! ...."It seemed like a good idea at the time".
The Cnet software, apparently, is intended for use with CF cards in PDAs. As a result, it requires the installation of MS ActiveSync.
I have, so far, not ventured into yet another of Redmond's software quagmires - the web reports of this particular program make Windows 2 seem like a bug-free system:yuk:
Partition Magic 8 'sees' the card but gives an incorrect volume size and starts a format but fails part way through.:{
Sooooo ... anyone with any other useful suggestions?
TIA

Conan the Librarian
30th Sep 2005, 10:54
Cornish, I think it is time to look at talking to the cam manufacturer or failing that, have a look at the websites of major card manufacturers like Lexar and SanDisk. They may have a FAQ, or even a contact. All of these cards use licensed technology and are very similar to each other.

Another thought is to follow the link
and post a message. The PhotoGeeks here make me look like an Amoeba by comparison.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1023

Conan