PDA

View Full Version : Spacing of runway lights

Private jet
27th Sep 2005, 20:33
Someone asked me this question the other day and i have to admit I had no idea what the answer is!

Is edge lighting spacing dependant on runway width (in order to maintain correct visual "perspective" on approach)? if so what is the formula for calculating this.. If not, what is the spacing exactly? Is it variable? I'm usually too busy (T.O/landing) to notice or try and work it out!! Can't seem to find it in any reference either. Any input appreciated.

DFC
28th Sep 2005, 08:27
The light spacing will be published in the AIP.

Most instrument runways have 60m spacing or less. Visual runways can have up to 100m spacing.

The spacing only becomes dependant on width when one is dealing with a runway which could be more than 60m wide. Then the nature of operations, light distribution of the edge lights and other bisual aids serving the runway are taken into account.

Regards,

DFC

AirRabbit
29th Sep 2005, 17:41
Is edge lighting spacing dependant on runway width (in order to maintain correct visual "perspective" on approach)? if so what is the formula for calculating this.. If not, what is the spacing exactly? Is it variable? I'm usually too busy (T.O/landing) to notice or try and work it out!! Can't seem to find it in any reference either. Any input appreciated.
The following is an exerpt from FAA AC 150/5340-30A

The runway edge lights are located on a line parallel to the runway centerline at least 2 ft (0.6 m), but not more than 10 ft (3 m), from the edge of the full strength pavement designated for runway use. On runways used by jet aircraft, we recommend 10 ft (3 m) to avoid possible damage by jet blasts. On runways not used by jet aircraft, we recommend 2 ft (0.6 m). The edge lights are uniformly spaced symmetrically about the runway centerline, such that a line between light units on opposite sides of the runway is perpendicular to the runway centerline. Longitudinal spacing between light units must not exceed 200 ft (61 m). Use threshold/runway end lights as the starting reference points for longitudinal spacing calculations during design.

Hope this helps.
________
AirRabbit

I-2021
29th Sep 2005, 19:28
Runway edge lights are usually spaced 60m. Touch down zone lights are 30m and centerline lights are 15m. You need to remember these few numbers for LVTOs in fact...

Paradism
1st Oct 2005, 08:24
Private jet

I note you are from the UK. Have a look at the CAA website and you will find CAP 168: Licensing of Aerodromes. Chapter 5 Para 5 gives some indication for UK aerodromes but other countries may vary.

CAP 168 is probably based on an ICAO specification but I have no definite knowledge of that.

TheOddOne
1st Oct 2005, 11:41
CAP 168 is probably based on an ICAO specification but I have no definite knowledge of that.

The ICAO source code is Annex 14 - Licencing of Aerodromes.

CAP 168 follows Annex 14, except where the UK CAA has filed a 'difference'. Usually, the UK CAA attempts to follow ICAO pretty closely.

Actually, it's all a bit circular, 'cos Annex 14 is largely based on earlier work done by the UK Ministry of Aviation, which preceded the CAA.

We provide lighting in accordance with CAP 168. However, many airlines operate to JAR Ops which allows them to operate when certain parts of our kit aren't working. This can vary from company to company. Thus, if there are variations at an individual aerodrome, some operators will be able to land and take-off, others not.

Cheers,
The Odd One

VC10 Rib22
1st Oct 2005, 12:57
Private jet,

DFC has covered it nicely. In addition to this, runway edge lights at runway intersections may be spaced irregularly or omitted, provided that adequate guidance remains available to the pilot.

VC10 Rib22

:ok:

EK380
2nd Oct 2005, 06:09
Guys,

When I was young and b.....,
people thaught me that the only distance that never changes are the TDZ (touchdown zone lights), it seems to be always (worldwide) 30m.

The CL and Runway edge lights seem to differ quite a lot....

Any comments on the above ?

Regards:D