PDA

View Full Version : iPAQ rx3715 internet through mobile?

EESDL
27th Sep 2005, 19:36
Have read all the FAQs and searched until my fingers are raw but have not found any bit of advice that shows me how to access e-mails by using my 3715 through my mob.
I currently can use my Nokia 6310i to access aol e-mails and, as it's Bluetoothed, thought about picking up e-mails on my iPAQ.
So far no joy!
Has anybody else resolved a similiar issue?
Just would have been nice to compose e-mails on the iPAQ rather than mob!

ExGrunt
29th Sep 2005, 13:38
Hi EESDL,

I have not done this with an IPAQ, however I have successfully managed to get a several flavours of palms to work with my 6310i.

First check which level of firmware is installed on the nokia. do this by typing: *#0000#

If the first line is anything lower than V4.80, you are f**ked. If that is the case you need to take it along to a nokia centre and get them to update the firmware. The actual process takes about a minute but you will be quoted between 2hrs (if you are lucky) and 2 days for it to be done.

The connection has to be made from the IPAQ to the phone - make sure that the phone is discoverable. Once they are paired I found that I could turn off the discoverable and still get the link to work.

You may need to download a driver for the IPAQ.

Hope this helps

EG

IO540
30th Sep 2005, 07:10
There are several ways to get internet access on a PDA.

If it has WIFI then that should do it (where there is an access point).

If it has GPRS (data over the GSM system) that should do it. Few have; the Blackberry is one that comes to mind.

Otherwise, it's a case of how to get GSM working on it.

I have just got GPRS on my HP 4700 using an Audiovox RTM8000 GPRS card (compactflash). Just plug it in and go; it was very easy.

I bought the RTM8000 on Ebay and had to download the wm2003 drivers and (via a laptop) do a re-initialisation on the card.

There are other GPRS cards on the market.

Another way is to make a connection (typically, bluetooth if this is a PDA) to a mobile phone that does GPRS.

(actually one doesn't need GPRS since plain old GSM supports simple 9.6k data access, but GPRS is a lot faster, as reliable, and usually cheaper because one pays per kilobyte)

One needs a PDA that has bluetooth, or one needs to buy a bluetooth adaptor for it (typically, compactflash). One also needs a mobile phone that supports bluetooth. Alternatively, the connection between the two can be made with a serial cable but not many PDAs have that as an option.

IMV the principal advantage of using a mobile phone as the modem is that you can get your employer to pay for the usage :O GPRS is MUCH cheaper (per kilobyte) on contract than on PAYG, but for many applications (especially aviation weather etc) the montly contract cost is way too much. Unless the same SIM card can be used for other things, like phone calls. (One can achieve this duplicate usage by plugging a headset into the PDA but PDAs make clumsy mobile phones)

Personally I would buy a decent PDA with WIFI. Then you can get fast and free internet access in cafes, and anywhere where the access point owner has forgotten to secure it :O

Also, for web browsing, less than 640x480 doesn't really work, which limits the choice to a small number of PDAs.

Hope this helps.

EESDL
30th Sep 2005, 14:55
making progress - thank you
phone/ipaq now paired - now ipaq just keeps saying that it can't find page!

IO540
30th Sep 2005, 16:33
Bluetooth pairing is just a connection between the PDA and the phone. It's nothing to do with the internet.

You need to set up Dial Up Networking on the PDA. I can't really help with this; it varies with the version of the operating system. Basically, you enter a phone number to dial and the ISP login and password.

With GPRS, the number is something like *99# and there is no login/password as the GSM provider provides the internet gateway. You also need to enable GPRS on the mobile phone. And the SIM card needs to have GPRS enabled on it - this may involve a phone call to the network provider.

Try googling for appropriate keywords - there are many forums online where this sort of thing is discussed.