PDA

View Full Version : ocker tucker

tinpis
27th Sep 2005, 01:18
Sydney's food best on earth
AAP
27sep05

ONE of the biggest-selling newspapers in the US has declared Sydney the best place on earth to eat.

In a long review, The Los Angeles Times raved to its 3.5million readers about Sydney's restaurants and chefs.

"Oz at the head of the table," was the headline on the front page of the LA Times's well-read travel section.

The review was the latest in a series by the newspaper's critics and columnists, who were asked to "review the best places on earth to pursue their particular passions".

Fashion writer Booth Moore picked Milan as the greatest place to shop and music critic Robert Hilburn anointed London the best rock scene.

LA Times food critic Irene Virbila yesterday selected Sydney as the No1 place to eat.

"When the Times asked me where I'd most like to go to eat in the world, I zeroed in on Sydney," Virbila wrote.

The critic's three-page story praised many of Sydney's top restaurants, including Sailor's Thai, bill's, Icebergs on Bondi Beach, Sean's Panorama, Longrain, The Book Kitchen, Marque Restaurant, Billy Kwong, Spice I Am, Pier, Fish Face, Tetsuya's and The Boathouse on Blackwattle Bay.

Virbila also noted how Sydney restaurants with great harbour or ocean views, such as Icebergs, avoided being "tourist traps" where the quality of the food failed to match the setting.

"Not only are those restaurants-with-a-view astonishing -- by rights, they needn't be very good at all -- but Sydney also has enticing candidates of nearly every ilk, including high-concept French, serious seafood houses, contemporary Asian, and cafes that serve breakfast with such sunny optimism you feel nothing can go wrong again. Ever," she wrote.

She pondered why Australian chefs were so good. "In the States, Australian food is construed as fusion. Far from it. Young American chefs love to take a taste from here, another from there and mix it up into one big Asian stew, often without knowing much about the cuisines they're fusing. Australian chefs tend to keep it pure and cook Thai or Chinese or Vietnamese with a logic and integrity that are impressive."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16733177%5E2702,00.html

Binoculars
27th Sep 2005, 01:54
And she didn't even mention Domino's!

I strongly suspect Binos will never be seen in any of the establishments she names, though if the occasion ever arises I would like to take a foreign visitor to Doyle's at Watto Bay.

chopperpug
27th Sep 2005, 02:15
What about the Old Bangkok Wok, or the greasy Spoon? I bet he never went to those houses of Culinary Delight. (Delighted that you are still alive and rectally intact the next day.... :} ) I Don't think that as a mere Pilot i can afford to eat at the places he does.

tinpis
27th Sep 2005, 02:22
In the old days after a skinful of Reschs at the old Buncha Cnuts it was off to Harrys cafe de Wheels for a poi n sorse.
Then up to the Cross to catch the late show at Livios strip-o-rama.

Gorn all couth nowdays.

B Sousa
27th Sep 2005, 02:22
They havent got a clue.....Lamb Chops on the Braai with some Boerwoers on the side with Rolls and greesy Onions.....Lots of Beer and Good Friends..I will take South Africa anytime..........:

Like This - Do That
27th Sep 2005, 03:07
Binos

Doyles at Watson's Bay was given a caning in a recent review. You'd probably be better off getting some takeaway and sit on the beach or BBQ a steak at the Watson's Bay pub.

Cheers

planemad_bk
27th Sep 2005, 05:30
........you guys forgot about Fast Eddie's at YSBK....Syd's best kept secret ;)

flapsforty
27th Sep 2005, 06:22
Ms Virbila has a point. Most big western cities, you looking for a restaurant you will end up in some good looking but awful food place 'cause as a stranger you don't know where the quality joints are.
SYD, you can walk into many of the 'good looking' places and still find some really nice food and pleasant service.
Have had some memorable meals in SYD, as opposed to many many best-forgotten meals in he majority of American cities.

Mr Sousa also has a point; if you like meat, SA is a wonderful place to eat.
As is Buenos Aires. :ok:

Gainesy
27th Sep 2005, 07:37
My memories of real dinkum oz tucker was meat pies an either red or brown sauce. Must be a pleb then.:(

angels
27th Sep 2005, 07:43
Gainsey - you beat me to it.

Pie and chips from the chipper round the corner from my mate in Manly. Sod yer intellectual stuff (apologies flaps )

My only problem with Oz cuisine was when I ordered lambs fry at a country hotel. I had assumed it was lamb..... :yuk:

RaraAvis
27th Sep 2005, 08:52
Have to concur, Sydney really is a food mecca...

Well, it is one of my favourite cities to start with and I've always enjoyed myself there immensely, fantastic place!

Great food and wine and lovely company - good times!
Loved these little, a bit out of the way restaurants, the ones you almost stumble upon and then discover that the food is simply superb! Hidden gems, really...:D

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Sep 2005, 09:27
Ostrich drumstick on the braai.

Can't beat it with a big stick....:ok:

Biggles Flies Undone
27th Sep 2005, 09:36
From what angels says it seems that Oz tucker is a load of balls..... :hmm:

All this talk of pies.... might have to take a trip up the Road (http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/templates/news/detail.cfm?newsid=3808) at lunchtime :ok:

TheFlyingSquirrel
27th Sep 2005, 10:13
I must admit, there is a Thai place on Oxford Street called Thai in a box - their snow pea dumplings are divine - can't even be beat in NYC - i've tried !

TFS

Binoculars
27th Sep 2005, 10:36
Doyles at Watson's Bay was given a caning in a recent review.

If anything that would add to its appeal for me. If all the socialites and snobs can be persuaded that it's no good, we pissheads may be able to spend an afternoon there enjoying each others company without being looked down on by the Double Bay set.

Reckon I could scrape up a group of twenty that would really put the cat among the pigeons at any eastern suburbs restaurant. Hey, Kaptin M, wanna join me? :E

Flying Squirrel, what were you doing in Oxford St? :}

Kaptin M
27th Sep 2005, 10:46
Sydney's full of hookers, fags, and those in between (Melbourne's worse!)

Head NORTH to THE PINEAPPLE HOTEL - site of Jerricho's January PPRuNe BASH (avidly supported by BINOS[/b] (http://pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=184155) for your BIG slab of meat, fresh seafood, and Oz hospitality at its best. :ok:

Binoculars
27th Sep 2005, 10:58
And just in case you need navigational assistance:

It's here (http://photobucket.com/albums/b300/ferret53/?action=view&current=Pineapple.jpg)

Jerricho
27th Sep 2005, 13:09
I'm quivering with anticipation :}

(Nice pic Binos :ok: )

Binoculars
27th Sep 2005, 13:12
Mate, Google Earth is the best site on the web for mine at the moment. Zoom in on your own house.

Jerricho
27th Sep 2005, 13:13
Actually, I was wondering who's car that was out the front of yours :E :E

Binoculars
27th Sep 2005, 13:21
The end of the earth runs out of pixels at about 3000ft. Pity really, my missus is running naked around the back yard. (It is a full moon, isn't it?) :uhoh:

airship
27th Sep 2005, 13:50
One doubts whether or not terrorist organisations will someday develop long-range weapons able to navigate using Google Earth software or other "terrain-following" systems but... ;)

...the way things are going, it might be a good idea anyway to employ some camouflage netting if you can afford it and encourage the neighbours to do the same. :8

'cause the way things are going, one day, "friendly" governments in conjunction with anti-terrorist laws may decide to pay their own visit. Shame that you only just moved in, not knowing that the house was previously a "hive of terrorism"?! :uhoh:

Oh yes, to get back on thread!

There's little better than the smell of raw flesh being barbequed over charcoal IMHO. It brings back memories of the days when one carried about a smouldering pannier containing the "fire". Everyone would get extremely upset if it went out. But that was before the days of safety matches... :zzz:

DirtyPierre
27th Sep 2005, 14:38
Sydney is great. But I'm surprised noone has mentioned Melbourne. A walk down Lygon St. or Fitzroy St. or Ackland Street will find in you in food heaven.

The Voice
27th Sep 2005, 21:06
The only problem with SYD/MEL/BNE is that all the foody spots are so spread out, whereas the Mindl Markets, on the beach front in DRW is just the ticket. So much food, so much choice, and all in an easy stroll from the bottle on ice in an esky from either a sandy or grassy spot in front of the best show in town - the famous DRW sunset.

Bliss ..

Dead_Heading
27th Sep 2005, 21:17
If all the resteraunts are spread out, logic dictates that by walking to each one in turn for a meal, I will have worked off the previous meal and worked up an appetite for the next by the time I arrive...:D

tinpis
27th Sep 2005, 21:18
Yes...Voice but the Darwhine resty scene is p... poor.:ugh:

Jerricho
27th Sep 2005, 21:19
D_H, I know a nice place in Alice Springs!!!

Enjoy the walk.

Dead_Heading
27th Sep 2005, 21:33
Hmm. Usual hiking gear + snorkel required methinks.

tony draper
27th Sep 2005, 21:39
If that Bob Hawk has his way you folk will be able to barbeque stuff without a fire for the next 120,000 years.
hee hee.

:E

Captain Sand Dune
27th Sep 2005, 23:34
Northbridge in Perth. Lotza v.good tucker + watering holes all within staggering distance.:ok:

Still rather partial to a BBQ at my place though.

If that Bob Hawk has his way you folk will be able to barbeque stuff without a fire for the next 120,000 years.

Is that wot you Poms were thinking when you nuked us 50 years ago?

guccigal
27th Sep 2005, 23:46
Surprised they didn't mention chef Luke Mangan's restaurant SALT, which is one of my favourites.

tony draper
28th Sep 2005, 00:13
Err no Captain,Bob Hawk was on telly here todays saying he wants the entire world to send its nuclear waste to Oz coz you got lots of room and he right geology to bury it in the outback ,and Australia would make lossa money out of being the worlds nuclear dump, they prolly haven't told you lot about it yet.
I suppose its best keep it quiet from the natives

:rolleyes:

Captain Sand Dune
28th Sep 2005, 00:37
eeerrrrrr...no... was actually thinking about the Poms nuking us because then you'd have somewhere to BBQ stuff.......oh, never mind:rolleyes:

And yes, I did see the Silver Bodgie on the tube only this morning saying exactly that. Ah well, as long as they dump it in the Eastern States!:}

I Love This Show
28th Sep 2005, 02:50
Chicken Treat!!!

That culnary delight on Konkerberry Drive... Oh the smells eminating from that place can send rats running :yuk:

Agreed, Mindil Markets are fantastic, although I regret my stomach is not qite bit enough to enjoy all that is on offer.
But for a top ride on yer way north, go along the old pacific Highway past Cowan and stop off at Pie In The Sky for a top aussie pie. Great view too. :ok:

redsnail
28th Sep 2005, 16:31
Chicken Treat aka Chicken Shit!!! :yuk:
Frozen and then microwaved to perfection....

Oh gees, I feel crook just thinking about that place!

I can recommend "Jarse's" for a good feed. :ok:

We found a nice fusion asiany place on Darling Harbour, Sydney. Very popular and not a bad price for the quality. Chinto Ria I think it's called.

RAC/OPS
28th Sep 2005, 17:45
Bugger yer fancy restaurants, what I miss is steamed dim sims with soy sauce!

AIRWAY
28th Sep 2005, 18:49
I love the food @ The BoatHouse on blackwattle Bay so yummi :O good memories of SYD too...

tinpis
29th Sep 2005, 01:10
:ooh: geezaz Airways only a pom or a drug dealer could afford to eat there...

$120 for a crab !!!!

Boathouse (http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/the_boathouse_on_blackwattle_bay.htm)

Rollingthunder
29th Sep 2005, 01:16
You can keep all these posh places. I'd settle for a couple of hot meat pies and a beer near a beach. Ten thousand miles is a bit far to go for them though....... at the moment. Wonders if Oz still has my unpaid speeding tickets on file. Nah.

AirNoServicesAustralia
29th Sep 2005, 02:50
Maybe for Seafood, Sydney is great, but for Italian,Greek, Vietnamese or Turkish food, I think Melbourne wins hands down. It may not have the Sydney harbour to sit by while you eat, but for great quality good value food, Melbourne is hard to beat. Ahhh what I would give right now for a Lygon St. Pizza right now.

redsnail
29th Sep 2005, 03:56
I reckon Town Beach cafe in sunny Broome did one of the best laksas I have ever eaten. Hot? it was unbelievably hot. Washed down by about a litre of cold water and a few glasses of wine overlooking the bay.

Spot on. :ok:

tinpis
29th Sep 2005, 04:41
Wonders if Oz still has my unpaid speeding tickets on file. Nah

RT Id put money onnit.
Sneak in the back way.

Rollingthunder
29th Sep 2005, 05:31
Well, it was 35 years ago. Before the age of computers. File transfer protocol was haphazard after that, especially from paper records. I figure I could argue mistakes and demand they prove it. The Sydney cops were really bastards. Try asking one for directions.

My goodness Reddo, are you up really early or really up late?

AIRWAY
29th Sep 2005, 08:30
geezaz Airways only a pom or a drug dealer could afford to eat there...

Tin

I'm only 50% pom :p and im not a drug dealer, but i can still afford to eat there... :p mind you it almost burst my budget...

:O

redsnail
29th Sep 2005, 13:02
RT,
It's jet lag I am afraid. I got back from Oz yesterday morning. Checkers is still there looking after his folks who recently had a bad car crash.

It gets harder to leave Oz every time I go home. Checkers will find that out next week. We're now deciding whether to retire to Cairns or to the Sunshine Coast. :D

Binoculars
29th Sep 2005, 13:06
Retire??? You only just got a real job!!! What about the patter of little feet? The mind boggles....... :uhoh:

redsnail
29th Sep 2005, 13:22
Bino's,
Retirement is planned in about 15-20 years time. That's not too far away really. If we make tentative plans now (ie pension, house etc) then it'll be a doddle when the time comes.

As for the patter of tiny feet? Only ones we'll have will have fur on them and say "meow". :D

1DC
29th Sep 2005, 13:33
Reddo,
hope your in-laws come through their problems ok..
My daughter announced that her family additions would only have fur, she lasted a couple of years before the maternal instinct started and I am very happy to be grandad to two lovely kids..

Binoculars
29th Sep 2005, 13:35
Quite right too, Reddo. And don't just make tentative plans; those 15 years will go by faster than you believe possible at the moment, and the longer time goes on the less we can expect from the public purse.

Don't know the super rules over there or anything to do with English pensions vis a vis Australia, and I ain't no financial adviser, but take this one free from an old fart; ask around for the most cost-effective means of super, think what you can afford to put into it, then double it.

Good wedding/recovery I trust? :E

The Voice
29th Sep 2005, 20:22
We're looking at the Sunny coast .. that is after the venture into tarmac terror - ism!!

We have only half that time so we'll really have to stick the skates on .. :O

I can speak on behalf of the reception #2 guests - bloody sterling effort and a very very pleasant arvo indeed. Mr and Mrs Checkers snr are bloody nice people - and Mr and Mrs Checkers jnr are bloody nice people as well .. :)

I'd be seriously considering a purchase of bricks and mortar in each location .. you can update upgrade or indeed add to the portfolio, but based on real estate here in Oz, buy now and never regret later is the way to go. When you've worked out where you really want to be, sell the other one, pay out the one you want to keep and really be set for life .. or keep both and have a holiday place ..!!

That's what we've just done - purchased a place suitable for short term rental which we can utilise whenever we want .. waterfront unit .. in Darwin .. very very nice .. :ok:

tinpis
29th Sep 2005, 23:04
Waterfront Darwhine?......hmmmm at least $500k and rising fast.

AIRWAY
30th Sep 2005, 11:55
Never been to "Darwhine" before, im off to Australia early next year maybe i shall include Darwin for a few days, is it worth it tinpis?

My main destination is Brisbane.

The Voice
30th Sep 2005, 22:51
Airway you should spare a few days to head on up there .. having lived just about everywhere, each place is different and will bring a different image of Australia.

Avtrician
1st Oct 2005, 00:19
Want good tucker, The chillie mussels at the Cottesloe Beach hotel are to die for. My son will even give up going to his friends place for a party to eat there.:ok: :ok: :ok:

tinpis
1st Oct 2005, 03:04
Bladdy hot and 4000% humidity in Jan-Feb AIRWAY or could be in the middle of a cyclone bein blown away !
Yeh I reckin its the bees knees place ter live about as far away from the crappy East Coast as yer can get without actually leaving Ozzy !
Bali is an outer suburb!
Gettin bladdy expensive to buy real estate its hot stuff at the moment.

DirtyPierre
1st Oct 2005, 10:11
Darwin good food

what I enjoyed when up in Darwin last June for the Darwin Mosquitos v. NSW Country Cockatoos rugby game was;

- Thursday night - Mindl Beach Markets
- Friday Night - On the wharf.
- Saturday morning - Parap Markets

The Voice
1st Oct 2005, 10:40
oohlala Pierre .. the wharf - the only place where the fish eat lemon!

The Parap markets, now there's a treat .. laksa .. from little Mary, THE best laksa maker in DRW!!

I wanna go home .. :{

tinpis
2nd Oct 2005, 03:05
*rubs it in* the little Halal ladies food stall at Rapid creek markets, green paw paw salad and mud crab , sticky rice pudding.....

The Voice
2nd Oct 2005, 08:39
:( <groan> I forgot about the green pawpaw salad .. thanks Tinny :mad: