PDA

View Full Version : Favourite food smells

DubTrub
26th Sep 2005, 22:11
Not necessarily taste...but my favourite food smells are

New potatoes in the saucepan, with butter & mint.
Freshly-baked loaf.
Grilled bacon.
Leeks freshly pluck'd from the soil.
Coffee jar just opened.

And you?

kooyheier
26th Sep 2005, 22:16
KFC....!!!!!!!!! Definitely KFC... One of the best smells ever.
I would kill for some hotwings now BTW....

YUMYUM

:cool: :ok:

Synthetic
26th Sep 2005, 22:24
I did five years as a vegy In that time, the two smells that realy connected were the smell of smoked bacon and the smell of onions on the hot iron tray in a good Indian used to deliver Tikha or a Tandoori.

VFE
26th Sep 2005, 22:30
Grilled bacon (responsible for my three year vegetarian kick coming to an end!).

Sunday roast.

Rioja.

Fish and chips.

Farrell
27th Sep 2005, 00:18
Have to admit that KFC is one that I missed.

There was only one KFC that I ever found in France and that was on the outskirts of Nimes.

I remember slamming on the brakes and looking out at the big ole red white and blue Colonel Sanders......then driving into the car park with my gf in tow going "But zis is what only ze racaille eat!"

I ordered everything - but as is always the way in France, they weren't satisfied with the sacred secret 11 herbs and spices and have started to introduce their own 'variations' like 'Sauce Provencal' - OH MY GOD! the colonel must be turning in his grave.

And bring back the old "Kentucky Fried Chicken (full name please!) and the old country style restaurants with the red and white checkered tablecloths and Coca Cola in a glass and real chicken gravy and.............................eh sorry. :(

planepsycho
27th Sep 2005, 00:28
Fresh baked bread:D

BombayDuck
27th Sep 2005, 03:27
i've always maintained heaven must smell like a bake shop....

aaaaahhhhh

stir fried onions, yes...and fried fish, goan style.

Foss
27th Sep 2005, 04:46
Potato bread. It's fried sort of soda farl thing. And there are no potato's in it. Fish and chips would be right up there.

All KFC's should be banned.:yuk: Horrible.

Farrell
27th Sep 2005, 05:12
I also have a penchant for that wonderful Belfast luxury - Gravy Chip and a Pastie!!

Wow!

Foss
27th Sep 2005, 05:17
Never seen a pastie anywhere but North and Southern Ireland. More food fit for the heart attack capital of the world.
Nice though.

guccigal
27th Sep 2005, 05:19
Roast lamb and vegies with Rosemary ....yum.

RaraAvis
27th Sep 2005, 09:06
Smell of the freshly ground coffee first thing in the morning...

The lingering scent of cinnamon and cloves in the mulled wine, enjoyed in front of the fireplace, wrapped just in a thick fuzzy blanket.... ;)

Coffee is food, no? And mulled wine too, right! :O

whosyerdaddy
27th Sep 2005, 09:07
I love the smell of avtur in the morning.

Chromium
27th Sep 2005, 11:46
When walking home from the pub, the best smell in the world is, the smell of your mates chips

parabellum
27th Sep 2005, 12:31
So there you have it then, RaraAvis, early in the morning , wrapped up in a blanket in front of a smoking fire with fresh coffee on hand, sound like the start to a perfect day! (off)!).

GETA
27th Sep 2005, 16:18
There is nothing better than the smell of the freshly baked cinnamon buns!:ok:

Loki
27th Sep 2005, 17:09
Curry, definitely curry. Don`t even have to smell it, even thinking about it makes my mouth water.

Other non food smells:

Chanel Number five (depending on the occasion)

Freshly cut grass.

pigboat
27th Sep 2005, 20:42
Fresh baked bread. :ok: :ok:

Farrell the real Kentucky Fried Chicken gravy bore no resemblance to the gruel served with the chicken nowadays. The original gravy was really a gravy. It was changed from the Colonel's recipe by the corporate types when he agreed to franchise his product. When he saw what his gravy had morphed into, Colonel Sanders was said to have asked "How am I supposed to eat this f:mad:g slop, with a straw?" :D

mcluhan
28th Sep 2005, 05:40
lamb chops on the bbq , yummmm :ok:
freshly baked apple pie
:ok: :ok:

tilewood
28th Sep 2005, 07:20
The smell of just-picked field mushrooms.:ok:

CargoMatatu
28th Sep 2005, 11:23
Oh, MAN!

Why did I click on this thread when I happen to be bloody starving?!:oh:

reynoldsno1
28th Sep 2005, 22:09
Agggh, KFC - the best description of this particular food group came when a plumber was called to the flats where Dennis Nielsen lived. He found the drains were blocked by large amounts of what appeared to be KFC.

Dennis Nielsen was a former Army butcher who went on a killing spree in the early 80's in the UK. Some of his 14 victims were chopped up, boiled and flushed down the toilet - which is where the plumber came in...

The plumber's name was Sanders..... :ooh:

(OK, I made that last bit up.......)

SmilingKnifed
29th Sep 2005, 02:43
My sister's ragu.:ok:

mcluhan
25th Sep 2006, 06:02
i am obviously paying close attention to the smells after the boiled cabbage incident :yuk: :eek: and can confirm that the smell of chocolate brownies fresh out of the owen is hevenly :ok: :ok:

Fliegenmong
25th Sep 2006, 06:32
Roast Duck :D

green granite
25th Sep 2006, 08:00
Love most, fresh bread & roasting coffee beans.
Hate most KFC & bones being boiled for soup(love the soup though)

phnuff
25th Sep 2006, 11:28
The smell of freshly grated ginger :D

tart1
25th Sep 2006, 19:12
The smell of freshly baked bread, grated ginger and roast duck is certainly tantalising.

For me though, my all-time favorite smell is freshly cut/squeezed limes. Even the thought of them is making my mouth water!!!!!! :)

Silje
25th Sep 2006, 19:22
pasta, pure pasta. although so many people tell me pasta doesn't smell at all. :rolleyes:

it does!! :)

reynoldsno1
25th Sep 2006, 21:28
is this a record for the longest gap between postings on a thread?

matt_hooks
25th Sep 2006, 22:38
I saw one the other day that was revived from the last century! :eek:

As for food, I like lots of the smells. Probably my favourite is cinnamon buns fresh out of the oven, or the smell in a real French boulangerie!

And I agree, pasta does definitely have a smell when freshly made, not the dried c##p we normally get served up in this country tho :(

con-pilot
25th Sep 2006, 23:43
And I agree, pasta does definitely have a smell when freshly made, not the dried c##p we normally get served up in this country tho

Actually fresh pasta is very over rated. The vast majority of professional Chefs much prefer dried pasta made with high quality ingredients because the drying/aging process adds flavor.

But hey, to each his/hers own, if you prefer fresh pasta, great. I mean it's not like it's bad.

Now for favorite food smells, any fresh bakery goods, fried chicken (that's from childhood at my great-grandmother's), a roasting prim-rib roast and of course smelling ribs, brisket, chickens, sausages smoking over mesquite/fruit wood.

Bluesteel705
26th Sep 2006, 00:10
Mince Pies :ok:The smell of Christmas........ Duh!! :}

Out of curiosity, and apologising for my ignorance in advance, do you have them in the USA?

con-pilot
26th Sep 2006, 00:45
Out of curiosity, and apologising for my ignorance in advance, do you have them in the USA?

Yup, we sure do, no need to apologize.:ok:

Le Pen
26th Sep 2006, 03:03
Fish and chips covered in salt and vinegar..... :ok:

Farrell, Theres a KFC in Chantilly too if you're passing!

Did soneone say anchovies? :E

LP