PDA

View Full Version : Story idea

brickhistory
26th Sep 2005, 12:28
Seeking ideas for aviation magazine story(ies).

I write freelance stuff and try to do pieces on less well known on this side of the pond aircraft/aircrew. With my limited language skills, essentially English only (whether you view American as English or not is not the point of this thread!), I have tried to keep to RAF, RN, RCAF/CF, RAAF, RNZAF inventories.

Previous work:
Horsa
Beaufighter (my favorite!)
Brigand
CF-100
Buccaneer
Jaguar
Lightning
Sea Hawk
numerous US birds.

So, if this thread can generate some discussion for best/most interesting military aircraft of your experience, I can follow up with PMs.

Hope this proves interesting to the forum.

Cheers,
brickhistory

brickhistory
26th Sep 2005, 14:16
"Gee, Brick,

I thought the Hunter FG 6 was a fantastic gun platform, stable and docile while holding down the t*t."

It is along these lines that I am hoping to stir some comments.

BEagle
26th Sep 2005, 14:36
There was no such thing as a 'Hunter FG6!'. There was the F Mk 6 and the F Mk 6A - but the true rocket ships were the ones we had at 4 FTS RAF Valley which'd had their guns, gunsight and other heavy bits removed and then given a shiny paint scheme. Here's what I wrote about them a few years ago her on PPRuNe:

" Having told you why I thought the Buccaneer and Jetstream to be pretty unpleasant, it’s only fitting that I tell you why the lovely Hunter ‘GT6’ was my favourite ever aeroplane. Take a standard Hunter F Mk 6, remove the heavy 4 x 30mm Aden gun pack and the draggy ‘Sabrina’ link collectors, add a TACAN so at least you know where you are, then paint the whole thing in go-faster high gloss ‘raspberry ripple’ polyurethane paint and there you have it. During 1975, I’d finished my Gnat course and had been holding awaiting a pre-Tactical Weapons Unit Hunter course. When the course started, it was a few days’ groundschool, some simulator trips and then on to the Hunter T Mk 7, otherwise known as the ‘barge’. After the compact Gnat with its central warning system, Hobson motor pitch system and OR 946 instrumentation, the ‘barge’ was a real backward step - and it seemed as big as an airliner! But after passing the simulator check and the T7 dual rides, finally the day came on 9 Dec 75 to fly a real single seat fighter for the first time! Get kitted up in goon suit and anti-‘g’ suit, then out to the aeroplane parked on ‘Hunter beach’ at Valley. Walk round, prod, poke, squint, then up the ladder and into the cockpit. ‘Fitz’, a CFS trapper visiting 4FTS keeps a fatherly eye on proceedings from the top of the ladder as I truss myself into a maze of webbing which would satisfy the most earnest bondage fetishist. Finally it’s time to lift the gangbar and turn on the batteries. First surprise - there’s no intercom sidetone. Because, of course, there’s no-one to talk to in a single-seater, stupid! Do the checks then wave finger at the groundcrew and Press the Button. The Avpin starter works as advertised and the smell of iso-propyl-nitrate fills the air. But all is well, gennies on , radio on, IFF on, power controls on. ‘Fitz’ smiles and disappears, the ladder is removed and it’s time to call for taxy. Next surprise, it’s so much easier to taxy than the barge and before long I’m at the holding point. Take-off clearance received, it's on to RW32 and off we go. Power up, quick stir of the controls then set top left and off we go. A brief ‘da-da-da’ from the bleed valves but initial acceleration seems much like it was in the T7. But then the extra oomph of the big Avon makes itself felt and there’s an almighty roar from somewhere behind as the IAS increases rapidly. Suddenly we’re airborne - Brakes on, gear up, flaps up, gear lights out, pressurisation master on.....then at 500ft start the right turn onto 140° to intercept the 100° radial. But we’re already passing 1000 ft and going like a train! Throttle to max continuous and adjust to 370 KIAS -except we’re already doing over 400! Pitch up, nail the speed, there’s the radial, turn left breathe out. ATC ask whether I’m ever going to change to Approach! Oops, to Stud 2 then up the radial towards FL 200. At around 10 000 ft, remember to set 1013..... Finally catch up with the beast at FL 200 and check position. How can I be so far away from base already? Aim in a safe direction, think ‘OK - let’s see what she’ll do’ - set max continuous and M0.9something comes up amazingly quickly. Tweak the control column back and the altimeter goes bananas - as do ATC as I’m in the upper airspace without clearance! Then settle down to some aeros and max rate turns before aiming back at Valley for a QGH to PAR. That all goes OK, so I roll and then out go to initials for a visual run-in-and-break. Overtake a couple of Gnats, call ‘initials’, then idle power, airbrake out....70-80° angle of bank and 23° flap on the break. Roll out, airbrake in, gear down - and the controls go all stiff as the hydraulic pump can’t cope with both things together. So a bit of power and all is well. Call ‘final’, 38° flap and pitch into the final turn. Then full flap, slow down to Vat plus 10 and another nice roller. Full power - lovely loud noise - another circuit and it’s time to land. Turn off, taxy in and shut down, grinning from ear to ear. My logbook says ‘December 10 1975 Hunter F6 XF386 Self / Solo Ex RF4 0:50 First Pilot (Captain), 0:05 actual IF, QGH/PAR, 3 landings. But that hardly describes such an experience!

And what of XF386? She lived on for nearly 20 more years before being scrapped at Otterburn in 1996 after 40 years loyal service. A cruel death for such a lovely lady - I hope she’s up there in Hunter heaven......."

brickhistory
26th Sep 2005, 14:59
Beags,

Thanks for the reply and I just totally made up the mark of the Hunter. Just trying to get something started on this thread.

Very nice writing and description of the Hunter.

Cheers,
Brick

brickhistory
26th Sep 2005, 20:34
After 500 + viewings and only the one posting, I can see this idea went over like the proverbial lead balloon.

With all the mil aircrew on this board, I can just imagine the history and stories that are there that should be told. Please forgive the intrusion.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.......

:O brickhistory

buoy15
26th Sep 2005, 21:42
Beags

Are you sure about Avpin on Hunters?

Did you fly Frightnings, they certainly had Avpin - expansion ratio of 90:1 ----- ---- Keep away at start up!

Where's that CO2 trolley?

insty66
26th Sep 2005, 22:14
b15

Hunters most certainly did use avpin.
I remember during my TMT1 at Scampton a swift change of wind direction causing my entire see off team to disappear in a cloud of the stuff! I lmao but they were none too chuffed:oh:

Tarnished
26th Sep 2005, 22:27
This from the Aviation History and Nostalgia thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=191175

Big engined Hunter most certainly did/do use AVPIN

Tarnished