PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Mali

Snoop
26th Sep 2005, 11:54
Can anybody give me any information on Mali and what to expect?

Looks as though my company will be sending me out there for a couple of months to finish up a contract.

Many thanks

Gouabafla
27th Sep 2005, 08:43
Don't know much about the flying - though Air Mali/Malitas have given me a few interesting experiences - but I have spent a lot of time in Bamako. If you like Africa, Bko is great. Crime is reletively low, there are good places to eat (one advantage of a French heritage) and the music and culture are great.

If you are going to live in a hotel, try to avoid the Amitie - it's a big souless block near the city centre. The Mande is farther out, but it is much better - there are some newer hotels that I don't know about.

Driving is - how shall I put it - interesting. Watching a ten year old boy drive a cattle cart through rush hour traffic is always fun.

Medical services are not brilliant. There are a few good clinics but they are not very well equipped. Make sure that you have your innoculations up to date. I'd add rabies and various forms of hepatitis to the normal list (especially if you will be spending time outside of Bko). Malaria prophylaxis is essential in the south of the country (which includes most of the major cities). I use doxycycline, which isn't always reccomended by health authorities in Europe, but it has the great advantage of working.

Make sure you don't miss a trip to Djenne and Timbuctu (you've got to say you've been there). When you return, make sure that you watch the movie 'Sahara' it will keep you laughing for weeks.

Got to say, I'm jealous. Of all of the countries I've worked in or visited in Africa, Mali is my favourite.

oneeyed
27th Sep 2005, 10:04
Well said and not much to add - just one more thing - stay far away from anyone that wants to do business with you - don't buy any gold or diamonds - as they don't exist.

Malians are worse crooks when it comes to shoddy deals of this nature than Ghanaians or Nigerians!!!

So if anybody approaches you, run as fast as you can before you loose you socks and boots.

Otherwise Good Luck and have fun. :ok:

broottmeenoo
30th Sep 2005, 15:05
Mali , what a country....
Maybe the most interesting in all Africa in terms of culture and people way of life and hospitality if you can spend some time with them and not stay too long with the expats.
The above posts are more or less correct, but if there is one place to see in Mali, you OUGHT to visit the Pays Dogon.
It's around 400kms east of Bamako to the south east of Mopti and then you can keep going toward Tombouctou, but I would put Mopti, number1 for an African experience.
If you can read French I would recommend "Le renard pale" of Griaule, you will learn amazing things about the Dogons.
Well, sorry guys this post may sound boring since there is nothing about aviation, but the ethnology of the Dogon people is for sure a must.

Snoop
2nd Oct 2005, 19:56
Many thanks guys. Sounds like Mali is going to be better than I expected. I don't know how much time we are going to get off but at least I have know got some good ideas of things to do when I do.

Anybody know anything about the flying and airfields?

Cap Loko
3rd Oct 2005, 08:53
Not much more to add to above mentioned posts. I spent 2 years flying out of Bamako. Had a really good time there. Nice culture (lots of stories), generally nice people, and a lot of history.

Bamako's airport is similar to the ones in the rest of W-Africa; not as nice as European airports but everything works ok which is not always the case in other West-African countries.
There's a VOR and and ILS.
There's a MET office with a wx radar (very usefull during the rainy season) and you will get the METARs and TAFs if you call well in advance (30-60 mins min.).
Generally good controllers too as BKO is a training base for ATC. There are experienced instructors in the tower frequently.
Fuel is arranged by phone or a walk to the office which is just outside of the airport perimeter.
There are about 3 general aviation companies based, operating Beech 1900/Kingair/Let410.

Other than Bamako there are a few other airports in the country and a few gravelstrips in addition.
I especially liked Timbuctu's airport which is very neat (but very very quiet). If you have to go to Kayes, let them know in advance as there will be very few personell availably, especially if you have an international flight.

Other than that, the airspace is quiet compared to Europe or the USA but the amount of traffic is slowly on the increase.

Like said in the previous posts; you will find plenty of good and diverse restaurants and some bars. (Piano bar, Broadway, Savannah, Golden Hippo in the center are very nice)
You will find the whole range of hotel quality.

Enjoy!

RICCARDOVOLANTE
3rd Oct 2005, 15:34
Capt Loko,
please
can you tell me some air company name and address in Mali?
Chek your PM. Thank you.
Sincerely
Riccardo Volante

LET's Fly
8th Oct 2005, 13:49
Hi snoop,
as Cap Loko said, very friendly country and people!!! I spent 10 years there as a student and a few monthes as a pilot.
You have also the bar-restaurant ``Le campagnard``, Le Relais and you have a few quite good night clubs there too. If you need some infos, most of the people managing these places are some friends.
For the companie, STA-Trans African, holded by the Famous Mr S.... does not operate anymore, they used to fly two Lets 410 UVP-E and Two DC-9 (Ex Air Canada). Heard they are trying to re-open with only one DC9, as the new Mali national company, CAM, operate a Dash 8 for the regional flights now. You have also SAE Societe Avion Express, managed by Mr Alain Ashkar, two Lets 410 UVP, but one not flying; SAS Sahel Aviation Services is operated by american people, most of them are retired ATPL from the us flying for free as iti is a part of MAF Mission Aviation Fellowship, you have also a little aeroclub, i know the president if you want his cellphone.
Pm me if you need the phone numbers!!!

Bert

P.s, for wich company are you gonna work for?

Gouabafla,
The Amitie Hotel is great now, it has been completely rebuilt up, as the Gand hotel also....

Snoop, you have also The Kempinsky hotel, five stars,just near the Niger River, and the Salam Hotel, great swimming pool and good service, even if it\'s quite...expensive!!!
Bert

Snoop
10th Oct 2005, 16:50
Many thanks guys. Sounds like one of the better places to go in Africa. Looking forward to it!

Cheers

Snoop

PW118
10th Oct 2005, 17:34
Mali.....what an absolute dump! If you enjoy sand, sand and guess what, more sand and ravenous bloodthirsty mosquitos then youll have a great time!!

And the statement made that, Mali being one of the more interesting places in Africa ....I can personally say its about as interesting as watching paint dry!!!

good luck, better take out life insurance

concordino
21st Oct 2005, 19:28
Having spent sometime in Bamako and having flown to several parts of Mali, I share both point of view as expressed by the past contributors.

There are some unpleasant parts to the story, but i guess that wouldn't be Africa or for the fact anywhere else.

On the positive side, the people are warm. I have discovered a charm to the place underneath the poverty, chaos and misery one does see everyday.

If you love nature, i strongly recommend you go to Manantali. You can fish there breath some clean air and basicaly enjoy yourself.

And most importantly go there with an open mind...:ok:

ZS-NDV
30th Oct 2005, 17:17
Speaking of Mali, anyone know who's got the SEMOS (BKO - Sadiola gold mine run) contrat now?
Used to be run by Federal Air but I seem to have heard that they lost it some time ago.

Cheers,

Frenchy

The Jacqual
31st Oct 2005, 23:08
Don't know, maybe won by CTK Mali