PDA

View Full Version : Soviet Helicopters In Afghanistan

Shawn Coyle
6th Jan 2002, 05:37
I've been in touch with a Russian author who has a book on Soviet Helicopters in Afghanistan. The book needs some 'fleshing out', and before I ask him to put some more stuff in it, I'd like to know what sort of things people think would help to make this a good book.
Stuff like- pilot training, squadron composition, base locations, etc. Stories about survival in flight, after being shot down, etc.
What else should be in the book?
Shawn

helmet fire
6th Jan 2002, 07:37
I'd love to read about the tactics chosen and why/how they evolved throughout the conflict. Particularly, how did they adapt to the introduction and proliferation of the Stinger. What weapon systems were favoured on what target types and why. What tactical formations worked/failed. How did they employ the Hind. What lessons did they learn and integrate into the next generation (Alligator & Havoc). How did they cope with the dust and high altitude. How did they defend the helo bases, particularly the forward ones.

That should keep him busy - and me intrested!!

t'aint natural
7th Jan 2002, 04:16
Yes, I'd like to see some stuff about how they kept them flying in those conditions. The Russians are famous for make-do-and-mend solutions to engineerings problems... with the Brits in the Falklands, they bashed compo cans flat and pop-riveted them over holes made in a Scout by a Skyhawk, then carried on flying. I'll bet the Russians can top that ten times over.