PDA

View Full Version : Should people with colds be allowed on board aircraft ?

Grainger
25th Sep 2005, 19:24
I write this from my sick-bed...

Last week, I had to make a short trip down to Watford. No problem, just a quick hop on the EasyJet down to Luton.

Everything was going OK until it became apparent that we'd got a sniffler on board. Just a couple of rows behind me, the blasted woman started working her way through a box of Kleenex before we'd even taken off... :mad:

So now I've been infected, and presumably together with many of my fellow passengers, spent a really shit weekend snorting Lemsips. :ugh:

Thanks a bunch, Mrs Sniffler. And next time, stay at home and keep your &^$%(***ing germs to yourself !!!!

Onan the Clumsy
25th Sep 2005, 19:33
Tell Easyjet you want her name so that you can sue her. Tell them if they don't give it to you, you'll sue them.

tart1
25th Sep 2005, 19:41
How are we going to stop people with colds flying on commercial flights?

Will there be a medical test at check-in??

Will you have to sign a legal declaration that you do not have (as far as you are aware) a cold or other viral disease?

Of course, if I personally have a cold, I will do the decent thing and stay at home even though I have a flight booked and paid-for and my insurance does not pay out for such a trivial complaint.

Get real!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

con-pilot
25th Sep 2005, 20:33
You think you got it bad riding in an airliner with people that have colds? Try flying around people with TB as I did for ten years. We had to have TB test every 3 months. Happy to say none of us or the guards in the back end ever contacted TB.

However that being said we all had a lot more colds back then than we do now, for those of us that left the good old USMS.

Jerricho
25th Sep 2005, 20:42
Lucky me, I once got conjunctivitis on a Emirates flight. The doctor told me that it wasn't uncommon for that sort of thing to be transmitted via pilows or blankets.

Farrell
26th Sep 2005, 02:13
BA flight BKK - LHR.......happy as Larry getting on board, great holiday, everything just perfect.

Me, my partner, and about twelve other strangers who became reluctant close friends during the flight.....staggered off the plane having filled every available bag, bin and carton in the galley with vomit and about four hours before landing were given a dedicated toilet by the cabin crew having progressed to the worst dose of the trots ever!

That was four years ago now and I am praying that it never happens again.

Grainger
26th Sep 2005, 07:35
Hey tart1;Will there be a medical test at check-in?? OK, that would be taking things a little too far.

But, given that I've just spent the weekend in bed - and not in a good way - the least she could have done is to have taken a sh*tload of medicine before getting on the plane.

OneWorld22
26th Sep 2005, 07:43
Grainger, this is where I take my hat off to the Japanese. They wear those medical masks not to prevent themselves getting colds/flu etc but they wear them when they have colds etc to stop their germs from spreading.

Very considerate if you ask me.

RaraAvis
26th Sep 2005, 08:53
Half of the population of HongKong was wearing the medical masks during the over-hyped SARS epidemic.

Wearing one would be a considerate thing to do if having to travel while suffering from cold. The disposable masks cost next to nothing and offer at least a bit of help in preventing the spread of the virus.

:hmm:

TheFlyingSquirrel
26th Sep 2005, 08:59
I saw a whole bunch of Chinese people in masks at terminal three - They looked like a cross between Jackie Chan and Zoro !! Feckin ridick !!

TFS:)

OneWorld22
26th Sep 2005, 09:09
I suppose if you think about it, in a city like Tokyo where the Subway alone takes 5.9 million people every day and people are crowded in like sardines, all it takes is one person with a cold or flu and it would spread like wildfire. And if you've ever seen a Tokyo office, they sure pack em in as well!

slim_slag
26th Sep 2005, 09:10
Grainger, this is where I take my hat off to the Japanese. They wear those medical masks not to prevent themselves getting colds/flu etc but they wear them when they have colds etc to stop their germs from spreading.

Was over there recently and asked a professor of the medical variety about this. He said Japanese people wore them to reduce the allergens getting into them. Still scratching my head over that. And if a dozen people go down with something on a 12 hour flight it's more likely to be something they ate.

OneWorld22
26th Sep 2005, 09:16
Oh, so it's a bit of both then I presume, stop them spreading germs if they have a cold and help them prevent getting infections from others. Common sense either way!

In China I noticed the poor workers out on the streets wearing them as they are surrounded by the thick yellow smog, not sure how effective the masks actually are in defense against those terrible pollutants....

fire3
26th Sep 2005, 09:23
in short, NO, Just got back from LAX, woke up thismorning feeling like ive been hit by a bloody bus :yuk:

Jerricho
26th Sep 2005, 11:49
Yeah, you got to watch them bus drivers in LA. No respect for pedestrians.

Rollingthunder
26th Sep 2005, 11:56
A-choo, a-choo, from the row behind me. I know they weren't covering there mouths. Three days later, cold country. Twice in three flights. Not happy.

allan907
27th Sep 2005, 01:07
A mate of mine once caught the clap on a trip to the States once flying with * * Airlines. He reckons it was either the blanket or the pillow. He also joined the mile high club with one of the stewardesses but I think he's right - the blanket was probably the culprit.

with apologies to the late great Tommy Cooper..