PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish - Anybody into them?

shnev
24th Sep 2005, 14:51
G'day Everyone!
recently one of my 'lion-head' goldfish lost an eye. (Literally, I woke up one morning and there was no eye in the socket). Didn't really know how it happened.
So tonight one of the other golfish ran into him at full-speed and popped his other eye out! :ugh: He's swimming around the tank un-bothered, and as if he had 100 eyes!
Does anybody know anything about what fish live friendly with others, and those which don't etc? I've heard of a disease which they can get called 'Pop-eye'...
I need to learn more about fish, and I can tell you there's nothing more wierd than staring into my tank and seeing an eye-less fish!

Poor guy!
Cheers :ok:

favourite_gas
24th Sep 2005, 15:03
Sorry but I have no eye -dia :}

DeBurcs
24th Sep 2005, 16:09
Be no problems if it was one of them Simpsons fish...

colmac747
24th Sep 2005, 16:23
Not much of a lion if he's got no eyes:p

Hope these soothing words help:ok:

mary_hinge
24th Sep 2005, 16:28
and I thought a fish with no eyes was called a fsh.....

tilewood
24th Sep 2005, 16:28
I find slices of carrot tossed into the tank look just
like goldfish, and much cheaper! ;)

Kaptin M
24th Sep 2005, 20:43
I've heard of a disease which they can get called 'Pop-eye'...Is that the one where they develop an insatiable appetite for spinach, and Olive Oil?
toot toot.

IB4138
24th Sep 2005, 21:32
Excuse me but.....have you ever seen a goldfish as a ventriloquist dummy?

This would explain why nobody has ever got into one and certainly not a full arm!:E

Blacksheep
25th Sep 2005, 07:13
I keep goldfish, including a few lion-heads. Lion-heads seem to have several genetic defects probably due to the breeding process. Many of them seem unable to control their swim bladders properly and tend to float to the surface when they sleep. One little chap swims upside down quite happily and has done so for several months. None of them have had an eye fall out yet though. As Kaptin M not so subtly suggests, try feeding them less spinach...

AerBabe
25th Sep 2005, 07:51
Don't worry about your fsh, they can sense their way using an organ called the lateral line, which detects obstacles and water movement. The Blind Cave Fish is perhaps the best known for this.

Kaptin M
25th Sep 2005, 12:21
As a matter of fact, Blacksheep, the problem you describe is quite common with goldfish - it is actually as a result of constipation, caused by a diet lacking in fresh, green vegetation.
Most goldfish usually receive a staple diet of flake food, or pellets, however they also require this to be supplemented by an aquatic plant.
Elodea canadensis is probably the best (and cheapest) way of supplying goldfish with that vegetation.
You might also wish to add 1 teaspoon of Epson Salts for every 10 litres of water, but imho, the supply of Elodea is the better way to go.

Because goldfish are quite large, they should be fed at least 2 or 3 times each day, which in turn means regular water changes, siphoning about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total aquarium water from the bottom of the tank, where all the sediment accumulates.
Never, EVER feed them bread.

Incidentally, pop-eye doesn't mean the eyes actually "pop" out - the disease (usually caused by dirty water, through insufficient water changes) is indicated by a swelling of the eye balls, making them look as IF they are about to pop out (sort of Mr Beanish).
The best treatment is changing the water...but not too much at a time.

DeBurcs
25th Sep 2005, 19:01
The Blind Cave Fish is perhaps the best knownNot to mention the Blind Mullet. Used to be found all the time off Bondi Beach.

Trogdor
25th Sep 2005, 19:05
I love the fishes 'cause they're so delicious....

Dead_Heading
25th Sep 2005, 19:32
"No Sir! I like my food to move!"

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Dead_heading/cat_fish.jpg

Blacksheep
26th Sep 2005, 07:31
No home is complete without an aquarium I reckon. Watching goldfish swimming while you enjoy a glass of single malt is possibly the most relaxing thing you can do.

I have nine in a tank next to the bar - three gold and two silver Orandas, two Lion-heads and two Black Moors. I feed them twice a day, give them a new plant to tear to pieces every two weeks or so Kaptin M, siphon the crap off the bottom every couple of days and change a third of their water every week. [I keep water in a couple of 'egg pots' in the laundry room for two weeks to leach off the chemicals] There's half a dozen snails living in the gravel filter to help keep the tank and gravel clean. With room temperature here in Borneo at a more or less steady 28 degrees Celsius, I don't need any temperature control in the tank. In fact that temperature is near the top of the range for goldfish, so they're a bit sluggish. I'll be damned if I'm giving them air conditioning though! ;)

Kaptin M
26th Sep 2005, 07:42
Sounds great, Blacksheep.
Personally I'm not a big fan(tail) of goldfish, and have managed to keep the number of aquaria here (in the shoebox apartment) down to 5 - I had 23 in Oz, including owning an aquarium shop (goldfish, tropicals, and marines) for 2 years.
It`s been a hobby for close on 40 years now.

Anyway....if the temps get too high where you are, you can always throw a couple of ice blocks into the tank - as long as there are enough left for those sundowners!
Priorities old chap!