PDA

View Full Version : Jet Blue A320 pic

1279shp
24th Sep 2005, 08:27
Pretty impressive photo! (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=926274)

sprucegoose
26th Sep 2005, 01:12
I wonder how fast he is travelling in that photo because he has gone past the "alley" between the north and south runway complex which is at least half way down a 10,000' plus runway.

Chris Higgins
26th Sep 2005, 02:35
Saw it on live TV. Touchdown was normal but the nose wheel was left off for a fair way down the runway.

Buster Hyman
26th Sep 2005, 02:57
Typical bloody Qantas...I see they've got some tails in that photo!:rolleyes:

pakeha-boy
26th Sep 2005, 15:46
sprucegoose....Max Ldg Wy for the A320 =142,198 Lbs...,
Max Ldg Wt for the A319=137,780 lbs.....ref speed for for the A320 at this weight is around 137 kts....there are many variables that would change this speed..ie ground speed mini......but this would be the approx speed of the A/C....You will have to take in account the fact that after talking to his company,Mtx,and even info from Airbus,They may have landed in a different config.......the long landing would indicate,obviously not a lot of braking and or use of reverse ....also this is their 2nd issue with the nose wheel...Awa has had one(columbus,Ohio)...the problem is with the "O" ring in the centreing piston in the nose gear assembly...we currently have several AD,s on this ....after this episode..ie World Television broadcast....Airbus will want to resolve this issue once and for all......kia kaha

petitfromage
27th Sep 2005, 07:07
On TV he seemed to touchdown quite late (3000ft in).
As the jet rolls to a stop the runway markings indicate less than 750ft of runway left.

Not a criticism at all ......an interesting emergency in the 'bus. No spoilers, no reversers etc

Video available at www.foxnews.com (search A320)

Icebreaker
27th Sep 2005, 09:40
petit,

with the type of failure that this was, the 320 checklist specifically states not to use reverse or autobrakes. As they had a nice long runway the use of the spoilers would be unnecesssary and by using them could complicate a gentle nose wheel touchdown.

Perfect job they did :ok:

petitfromage
27th Sep 2005, 12:56
Ice,

Thats all noted thanks. I fly the A330, our checklist is similar.
For 'dodgy' NLG we dont use Rev to prevent spoilers deploying and because the Trents hang so low that the engines will hit the ground in the NLG collapses.
*Of course, the engines are most likely shutdown anyway after touchdown.....so Rev doesnt exist.

Concur, good job by all....as I said, an "interesting" emerg but personally Id be aiming to touchdown earlier than 3000ft.

pakeha-boy
28th Sep 2005, 15:17
Icebreaker....ditto on your remarks....this is the standard procedure for this problem....because of the problem that the nose gear may/will collapse..the engines are shutdown before impact.....ie no reversers,green,yellow blue systems shut down with only alternate braking.....talked to a couple of Jet Blue Blokes yesterday(LAX)....this was the case and the reason for the long ldg.....crew did a great job(flight deck and inflight)ie ...nobody died....tena koutou