PDA

View Full Version : Dublin airport runways in use

WHBM
24th Sep 2005, 08:01
Was a little surprised yesterday to depart Dublin from runway 29, that's the short runway to the north of the airport, parallel to the main 10/28 (and a runway I imagine some regular users of the airport are not even aware of).

We were in a 146 headed for London City. But Dublin's 11/29 at 1,357m is even shorter than LCY at 1,508m. Furthermore I have never seen it used before. Is there much use of it other than by GA ?

By the way it was a good plan as the aircraft was parked on the north apron and with the reduction of taxi and holding time probably saved around 10 minutes.

DB6
24th Sep 2005, 08:15
We use it a lot (Loganair - Saab 340) if the weather's OK. Very useful for avoiding tailbacks to the main runway especially as we always go North, plus short taxy to/from North apron as you say. Aer Arann use it as well. It's longer than a few runways we use regularly :eek:.

uncle dickie
24th Sep 2005, 09:35
An excellent choice for the Saab. There are days however when even the "B" model is performance limited and 10/28 is the only choice.

Just need to be aware of turbulence and potential downdraughts landing 29 generated from the hangars when the wind is southerly even at a modest strength.

If only the handling was as good as the ATC. Cannot have everything I suppose ??!!

;)

piston pete
24th Sep 2005, 11:04
Whenever I fly RE from/to DUB 11/29 seems to be used most of the time. It's very convenient for the A Pier and there's usually not much of a wait for clearance.

StephenM_SMC
24th Sep 2005, 16:47
DB6 - Do you do the run to NOC? If so does the plane position empty out of NOC again in the evenings like the REA flight used to do before LPL was added?

DB6
24th Sep 2005, 18:49
Steve, yes we do the Knock run, but nightstop there as it's a PSO and we need to do the return in the morning.
Uncle dickie, I'm only too familiar with that turbulence! Haven't been performance limited yet but we do have to check the book each time to be sure.

ATR Operator
24th Sep 2005, 18:50
Aer Arann didn't position the plane anywhere after operating the DUB-NOC flight even before the LPL flight was added. This aircraft was overnighted along with the crew who then operated the early morning flight back out again the next morning.

It really does amaze me the amount of false information this website really does produce!!;)

Hey there
24th Sep 2005, 21:32
"Aer Arann didn't position the plane anywhere after operating the DUB-NOC flight even before the LPL flight was added. This aircraft was overnighted along with the crew who then operated the early morning flight back out again the next morning."

As far as I remember (but not being from that side of the water I'm not sure) there was a time they positioned it out of Connacht to Galway to operate the evening Galway - Manchester or Luton run? It may have been for a short while but it recall it DID happen.

StephenM_SMC
26th Sep 2005, 10:14
Well my dad was telling me that someone, where he worked managed to book a flight in the evening back to DUB, being the only person on it. (REA)

Also, I did'nt get that info from this site either. :D