PDA

View Full Version : Jobs after Uni

davepearsall
23rd Sep 2005, 21:29
Basically want to go on the APP at OAT but would have to get a job to earn the extra money needed.

Anyone know of any industries or jobs that are temp )not career based) which are pretty well paid??

Whirlygig
23rd Sep 2005, 22:57
Little bit early at the moment but how about Christmas postman? You'd have to think about what to do in January though!

Cheers

Whirls

joe2812
23rd Sep 2005, 23:04
We had a letter thru' our door the other day saying that RM are looking for people for Xmas so not that early Whirls!

Whirlygig
23rd Sep 2005, 23:06
Yes Joe, that's just for us special people in Norfolk! It so fecking far from anywhere up here that we have special "last posting days!"

Cheers

Whirls

davepearsall
24th Sep 2005, 11:35
thats not a bad idea. i will have to have a look into that!

+'ve ROC
24th Sep 2005, 11:46
Dave, check your PM's :ok:

seacue
24th Sep 2005, 12:18
Dave,

The following only applies if you consider one or two years' employment as the time scale of your temporary job. Intending to stay a shorter period really is temporary though you might discuss the concept of conversion to part-time..

One of the young fellows we hired years ago said that his graduation speaker left them with the following message:

If you are still in the same job two/three years after graduation there is likely to be something wrong.

The idea being that people often choose the wrong position right out of school. IMO, few employers expect new graduates to stay forever, but will try out a few jobs before settling in.

With that in mind I'm not so sure that you should stress the intention of the job to be temporary.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Sep 2005, 12:18
Packing fish in Alaska.

davepearsall
24th Sep 2005, 12:31
Ive just decided I'm just gonna win the lottery tonight so it don't matter!

Rough Driver
24th Sep 2005, 16:56
Graduate with little industry experience then there is only one place - recruitment!!

This is how many of my friends paid for their ATPL. With uncapped earnings anyone who is in financial recruitment in there first or second year is on at least 40K, but you will work for every penny!!

Basically get into a telesales job with a decent commission structure and start saving not putting it up your nose :)

Guys if I am wrong then speak up!!! :D

seacue
24th Sep 2005, 19:33
We've all been giving advice yet we don't know what he studied at uni.

davepearsall
24th Sep 2005, 20:53
BSc Environmental Science - but i suppose it's not really relevant. I'm not looking for something particularly in that area or anything career based as I want to join OAT after a year or two.

I basically want to make a quick buck, but obviously I will have degree standard abilities

Blacksheep
25th Sep 2005, 07:21
The ideal job for people with no experience and who haven't learned anything useful - especially finance - is insurance salesman, otherwise called an "Independent Financial Advisor"

If you can't do, teach. If you can't teach become an Independent Financial Advisor.

Try it.

Rough Driver
25th Sep 2005, 10:56
It is relevant what he did at uni, how many people do you know who is now working in their career on something they have done at uni?

I agree to a certain extent with regards to trying the IFA suggestion. Although it can take a long time to get your relevant training and approved status to then earn the big bucks. With recruitment it is straight in at the deep end earning money

I was thinking about this forget about financial recruitment try I.T. recruitment on the temporary side. On a good comission structure you would get at least 15% on the contractors hourly/daily pay!!

If they are on 350 a day then that is 53 pounds in your pocket ( before tax) every day that one contractor works. If you have 10 of them it soon adds up.:O

RiskyRossco
25th Sep 2005, 11:50
Dave, what do temp agencies have wrt your relative skill level? Some guys I used to know had temp work from 5 days to 2 years. There's all sorts of stuff to do. Yerz has ter lock yerself in the closet at home not to get work.
Here's a bit of lateral thinking, though. Where do you want to be in 2 yrs? In 5 yrs? in 10 yrs?
What do you want to earn? This requires s/thing like specific skills outside of your "technical core training", i.e. money/budget skill (financial quotient), salesmanship and communication (social intelligence) and self-education.
Here's a thought. If you know what you want early on then keep open to opportunities that will help you attain this or that skill. What, at the end of it, will this or that job teach me?
Education gives you a living, self-education gives you a lifestyle. Nothing I say is original, by the way! This brief synopsis is from Robert T. Kiyosaki. Write down stuff, like goals, otherwise they're merely wishes.
;)

davepearsall
25th Sep 2005, 17:54
Risky - This is just it I appreciate all the comments but like i have said. This isn't a case of where do i want to be in 5 - 10 years as I will hopefully be flying the skys somewhere.

This is juat about making a quick buck, thanks for all the comments though

Impress to inflate
25th Sep 2005, 18:44
Why not take the Queen's Shilling and sign up for a spell and do some time with the AAC and get free flying ?

seacue
25th Sep 2005, 19:35
Remember that pilots may fail their physical at any time. They really should have some other skill / experience to fall back upon. Get started with it now.

BigEndBob
25th Sep 2005, 20:15
Become social worker, local job centre always advertising, 25 hour.