PDA

View Full Version : Air Atlanti(insert as appropriate)

speedbirdzerozeroone
23rd Sep 2005, 18:13
Just a couple of really (very) odd questions…

1) Why has Air Atlantique got so many different subsidiaries as separate companies? Why don’t all their various hangers/departments just trade under 1 name? Or do they?

2) What is the name of the new computer software currently being used by Air Atlantic in their engineering division? It’s a trade standard piece of software but it would be rather nice to know of its benefits and characteristics and why the upgrade and new programme was necessary?

3) What are their plans for pilot recruitment and new aircraft? (I’ve read all the previous threads but what’s new).

4) If Coventry goes ‘big’ in the next 1 to 5 years how will this affect the future of Air Atlantique. Would Thomson or Ryanair be a welcome bedfellow or a cause for commercial concern?

5) What are the company’s projections?

a. Is pilot recruitment keeping pace with retirement or are they expanding? Is it rolling or timetabled recruitment?

b. They are recruiting for a new Ops manager. Have they got new plans they need help with or are they replacing someone?

c.How do they fund the restoration of their ‘historic aircraft’. What is their game plan?

d. Will the Shackleton ever fly again?

6) Can pilots legitimately expect to join larger (jet based) Airlines after 8 years with Air Atlantique or are they limiting their future employability by pursuing an early career flying big props.

..any INFORMATIVE crumbs would be welcome.

Regards,

jmc757
23rd Sep 2005, 18:57
Air Atlantique (ATRs, DC6, DC3s etc) and Atlantic Airlines (Electras, TU204s etc) are now two separate operations after a management buyout of Atlantic Airlines. However, www.airatlantique.co.uk (http://www.airatlantique.co.uk) still link to Atlantic Airlines. Furthermore they have a section of the website listing "The Atlantic Fleet" with DC3s, DC6s, ATRs and Cessnas. Confused?

silverknapper
23rd Sep 2005, 19:18
6) Can pilots legitimately expect to join larger (jet based) Airlines after 8 years with Air Atlantique or are they limiting their future employability by pursuing an early career flying big props.

Stupid question. Can't think of a better grounding. You only have to look where ex atlantic guys go on to - Easy, Brittania, DHL, Airtours etc.
Why would Thomson/Ryan be competition for Atlantic?
Why do BA have seperate names: Citiexpress, BA mainline?

Are you on some anti atlantic mission or something?

Stand 22
23rd Sep 2005, 20:22
Are you sitting comfortably! Below is a rough outline of the companies and who operates what.

Atlantic Airlines: Now a separate entity, the only link being the one on the website!
L188
ATP
AN72
TU204

The Air Atlantique Group:

Atlantic Air Transport -
DC6 x 2
ATR42 x3
ATR72 (1 due October, 1 Due 2006)
Metro III
C650 - Private
C500
C402 x2
C310

Atlantic Reconnaissance-
F406 x2
C404 x2
C310
BN2
DC3

Air Atlantique Classic Flight-
DC3 x2
Rapide x2
Anson
Prentice
Pembroke
Twin Pin
Meteor NF11
Vampire T55
Venom FB54
Canberra
Avro Shackleton x2 - one airworthy in USA, one soon to be airworthy in the UK
+ several other historic aircraft in store or under restoration.

CFS Aeroproducts - Overhaul and maintenance
Atlantic Air Motive (Formally Atlantic Aeroengineering)

To answer a few of the questions

3) What are their plans for pilot recruitment and new aircraft? (I’ve read all the previous threads but what’s new).

Airlines - Bringing in ATPs. L188 to last until about 2010 I believe.
Atlantique - 2 ATR72 to be delivered over the next 6 months.
Pilot recruitment is ongoing, both direct entry and cadet scheme.

4) If Coventry goes ‘big’ in the next 1 to 5 years how will this affect the future of Air Atlantique. Would Thomson or Ryanair be a welcome bedfellow or a cause for commercial concern?

The introduction of Thomsonfly has caused few issues. Rumor is the Classics are moving to pastures new. A press release on the Kemble website seems to indicate it could be there.

b. They are recruiting for a new Ops manager. Have they got new plans they need help with or are they replacing someone?

Temporary replacement due pregnancy (Atlantique)

c.How do they fund the restoration of their ‘historic aircraft’. What is their game plan?

The Classic flight pays for itself through corporate events, airshow flights, open days etc. Has its own engineers and pilots, many of whom are volunteers. See above ref possible relocation.

d. Will the Shackleton ever fly again?

The one over in Texas has just been flown and the one in Coventry is soon to be respared and flown towards the end of the decade.

Yes. Many ex Airlines and Atlantique pilots are flying for the likes of BA, Easy jet, TNT, My Travel etc.

Hope this helps!

speedbirdzerozeroone
23rd Sep 2005, 23:53
Jmc757 & Stand 22 Thanks very much for taking the time out to answer sensibly with informed relevant information. It’s a tricky topic to those not in the know so it’s a nice surprise to get an INFORMED and succinct response.

I believe the computer software (now being employed to register all aircraft on the company’s engineering database) is pronounced something like ‘KAFAN’ (but I don’t know its real name and it’s not on the net) Does anyone know what I may be confusing this with?

Regards,