PDA

View Full Version : What are the ways to tune 747-400 radio?

Byrna
23rd Sep 2005, 15:01
Hello,

I wanted to know how pilots in real-life can tune the NAV/COM radios as well as the VOR/ADF radios on a 747-400. I have heard that the FMC is used but I find it hard to believe that ONLY the FMC can tune the radios.

Can pilots tune the radios manually using the radio dials on a 747-400? The reason I'm asking is I recently purchased the PMDG 747-400 for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 for my PC and PMDG's model is such that there is NO WAY to tune the radio manually with the dials; only the FMC can be used to tune it.

Is this correct for real-life?

John

Dan Winterland
23rd Sep 2005, 15:24
The radios are tuned conventionally via a radio panel which tunes any of the three VHFs or two HFs. Number 3 VHF is normally tuned to data for ACARS use if fitted. The RADNAVS are tuned either automatically or manually through the FMCs. Auto is normally used en route, but departure and arrival procedures will normally require the primary navaids to be manually tuned.

Byrna
24th Sep 2005, 15:38
Hello Dan Winterland,

Thanks for your reply. I am a little confused about your terminology. When you say "manual" tuning, do you mean by phycially turning the radio knobs or manually inputting it into the FMC?

Also, I was referring to the COM/NAV radios for ILS/VOR tuning without using the FMC in any way. Can you explain a little bit what you mean about the VHF/HF radio tuning?

Thanks,

John

RFS
24th Sep 2005, 22:51
Byrna,if I can help shed a little light on this.As Dan stated, all the radios are tuned manually as you would do in say a Cessna 150.
The radio aids i.e. Vor's and Ils's have to be input via the FMC either manually i.e type the frequency you want into the relevant page or automatically.If in auto the FMC will auto tune the ILS once you have input the landing rwy and use any Vor's it deems helpful- dead clever!
NDB's can only be tuned by inputting the frequency into the FMC manually.
Hope that makes it all as clear as mud Happy Flying.