View Full Version : Job wanted for 1200hr pilot

Gocat1
23rd Sep 2005, 02:43
I am currently living in New Zealand am looking to move to the UK to carry on my career

After completing the expensive licence conversion, what kind of job work will I be able to get? I currently have 1200hrs with 250hrs twin, 100hrs instrument and 350 hrs instructing.

I would love to work for a regional jet carrier but they all seem to take 200hr cadets or guys with previous jet time. Is there anything for the guys that don’t fit into either category and who can’t afford to pay for a £20,000 type rating?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

stansdead
23rd Sep 2005, 08:36
Sorry to sound negative, but I think all the replies you will get will be..... don't bother coming !

There are still a lot of guys who need a job with the same experience as you. they aren't gonna help you too much I bet !

Sorry, but it is a dog eat dog thing.

Oh, I am not one of the jobhunters though... I am only guessing what UK wannabees will think of your plea !

However, good luck in your career.

haughtney1
23rd Sep 2005, 12:34
Gocat....PM me and I will let you know..came here in 2000 with similar experience.:)

Luke SkyToddler
23rd Sep 2005, 14:48
Mate, now you've done it :D Stand by for the mother of all flame attacks from the BNP brigade, it's not exactly the politically sensitive thing to do on this forum to declare that you're a wannabe from down under and want to come work in the UK :ok:

Seriously you should have no problem getting work here. As long as you're not too proud about what kind of work it is you do, everyone on here seems to have this bee in their bonnet about getting on a Boeing or a 'bus when they're fresh out of flying school (and sure that's possible IF you went to the right school, kissed the right asses and spent a LOT of money), but not generally for the rest of us who haven't got a spare £25,000. If you're not too proud to fly a turboprop / small jet and don't particularly care which part of the country you have to move to, then jobs aren't actually that hard to come by. It can take a few months before your number comes up in whatever CV pile though, and the big thing is to stay current while you're looking, even if that means going back instructing or whatever.

The licence conversion is a big expensive nightmare though, Redsnail is the resident expert here on downunder licence conversions so do a search for some of her posts and all will be revealed. Or PM her or myself for specific gen.

Don't be in the least bit put off by the flames you are about to cop from all these unemployed 200-hour UK wannabe's either. The only people who matter, i.e. the chief pilots of this country, and the captains you'll be flying with, generally know a good thing when they see it and don't have any problem with kiwis / aussies whatsoever, in fact we have a generally pretty good rep here as easy going types who know how to fly and just get on with it :)

kia kaha

- Luke

haughtney1
23rd Sep 2005, 15:35
Us easy going?.....only if the beer is cheap:E
and the women even cheaper:}

Gocat1
24th Sep 2005, 00:11
Luke SkyToddler - Just tried PM you but message box full.

Thanks for your help guys.

Any recommendations where the best place to do the conversion is?

uncle dickie
24th Sep 2005, 07:59
Perhaps you need to check whether the holder of a non EU passport needs approval to work in the UK.

Gocat1
24th Sep 2005, 14:47
Got EU passport :D

Luke SkyToddler
24th Sep 2005, 15:54
Sorry mate cleared out all the old PM's try again now.