PDA

View Full Version : That LAX 320 landing

yintsinmerite
22nd Sep 2005, 21:36
I have just watched the BBC coverage of the 320 dodgy landing gear incident at LAX. I know that there is a thread running in the rumours forum, but quite honestly, as a non pro, I dont like posting in there - its other peoples play pen (so to speak). I couldn't, however, let it pass without commenting on my total respect and admiration for the guys who were flying that thing. On the basis that any landing you walk away from is a good one, they , performed a fantastic feat.and showed the world that in a bad year for aviation, well trained, and well qualified jockies can overcome an awful lot of adversity.

Well done guys (or gals).

barit1
23rd Sep 2005, 02:40
No question - the crew had the beast mastered.

Too bad we can't say the same for Airbus; someone reported this is the eighth such incident.

Huck
23rd Sep 2005, 02:50
Those new airplanes fly themselves, don't they?

RJM
23rd Sep 2005, 03:21
Don't think so, although I've heard there's a groove down the middle of the runways. You just put the front wheel in there, brake lightly and go back to combing your hair etc ready for the apres-flight cocktails...

phnuff
23rd Sep 2005, 06:08
there's a groove down the middle of the runways. You just put the front wheel in there, brake lightly and go back to combing your hair etc ready for the apres-flight cocktails..

Kinda like Scalectrix - neat !

PerArdua
23rd Sep 2005, 07:50
seems the pilot has had good prior training for the incident. It has happened to him before!! How unlucky can you get?

I would say jinxed!!! not lucky

PA

lasernigel
23rd Sep 2005, 08:13
its other peoples play pen

If you make a sensible contribution it's OK.I make one now and then and even started a topic which got a fair bit of input.:ok:
Don't be overawed they're human as well.:ok:

tony draper
23rd Sep 2005, 08:34
Hmmm what puzzles is how did the wheel get like that, does it rotate 90 degrees when before it lifts into the well like some fighter aircraft?

IFTB
23rd Sep 2005, 08:37
"does it rotate (to center) before it lifts into the well?"

Yes.

yintsinmerite
23rd Sep 2005, 08:48
Don't be overawed they're human as well

I'm not overawed by them, but just respectful of the fact that it's really the basis of why this site exists.

Of course, as someone who has always been facinated by aircraft (and wants to pick up what ever tips translate from say 747 to PA28), I read what is going on there most days.

allan907
23rd Sep 2005, 16:32
The guy did a bit better than I did a few years ago. Took off from Geraldton (Western Australia) straight after a Skywest RPT. Just on rotate I thought it seemed a little funny but thought no more about it. On landing at Northam, for some unknown reason I kept the nose up longer than usual but when I contacted the ground all hell broke loose.

The tyre (tire - USA) had sustained a puncture at Geraldton and I was landing on the rim. Made for some interesting ground handling problems. And I now have the severely scraped and bent nose wheel as a wine bottle holder in my dining room.

ExSimGuy
24th Sep 2005, 07:27
"the guys are human"
I'd say more super - human :ok:

I was really impressed at the way (did anyone else notice?) that the flames/sparks/smoke (or whatever it was) changed intensity every time the remains of the nose-leg went right dead-centre on the centre-line stripes:oh:

Now that's called crack on steering - I think the stripes are around a foot wide?

In the days when I was "playing with sims", I coldn't get it that good even with a wheel on the bottom of the gear:confused:

2 sheds
24th Sep 2005, 07:31
Looking at the potential fire hazard, I wondered why the FS didn't spread foam down the centreline before the aircraft landed?

henry crun
24th Sep 2005, 08:31
2 sheds: It cannot be guaranteed that the aircraft will remain on the centreline, where it will touch down and thus where the nosewheel will make contact, and how long the roll out will be.

To lay a carpet of foam wide enough and long enough to cover most eventualities would probably deplete most of the fire vehicles.

Do you want to do this and then wait while they go and refill up with water and foam compound ?

eal401
24th Sep 2005, 09:26
All in all, an awesome effort by the flight crew. There are routine landings that are not as good as that!

As for R&N, just get some journo/other poster/RFF bashing in, you'll be fine. ;)

barit1
24th Sep 2005, 12:34
Many moons ago:

I was flying a short cross-country in a C172 and diverted due to January weather - snowshowers mixed with freezing rain.

The next morning was cold, bright & sunny, but as I took off I ran into a patch of slush on the runway, and enroute I began to worry about the slush freezing & locking up the wheels inside the wheel pants (fenders?).

Anyway, as I reached my destination, there was somewhat more snow/slush on the ground, and one end of the (fairly long) runway had not yet been cleared. I inquired what the condition of the uncleared surface was and was told it was about 2" of slush. I explained my concern, and said I would like to land short in the slushy area so I could avoid touching down with locked wheels on the asphalt. They concurred, and I splashed down in the soup.

As it turned out, I could taxi easily once I reached the cleared area. But - The owner made me wash the plane afterwards!

TheFlyingSquirrel
24th Sep 2005, 14:05
Can anyone provide a news link to this story for me please? I can't find it anywhere !

TFS

Jerricho
24th Sep 2005, 14:32
http://www.newsalerts.com/news/article/go:top16:266038

Kiwiguy
25th Sep 2005, 01:57
brake lightly and go back to combing your hair etc ready for the apres-flight cocktails...

Alternately you could break hard and have the flight attendant join you on your lap for apres flight appreciation....

The steering is caused by two horizontally opposed pistons on the undercarriage strut/oleo. When the O-ring blows out on one piston the other pushes the wheel hard over.

They did not spread foam because it is mixed with water and the wheel rim is most likely a magnesium alloy which would catch fire is doused in H20

TheOddOne
25th Sep 2005, 10:23
The last 'carpet of foam' laid for a British civvie a/c was at Manston for a wheels-up Dan-Air Comet, many years ago. The reasons given above are why we don't do it any more.

Personally, I wouldn't have been very pleased with the crew of the A320, screwing up my runway like that. We had a similar incident at LGW a while ago and the crew managed to hold the nose off MUCH better than that, minimal damage to the surface and back in operation quite quickly. But then again, everyone got out of this latest one OK and any landing you walk away from is a good'un, so they say.

I've seen a couple no-nose-leg landings over the years and that ranks high for spectacle, but not much else.

The Odd One