View Full Version : Rotorcraft question ~ for the fun of it

Dave Jackson
18th Nov 2001, 08:05
The following is a three-part challenge; for helicopter affeceadoes, on a lazy Sunday.

On web page http://www.drag-on-fly.com/X.html is a box that contains a quotation.
[list=a]
Challenge 1/ is to read the quotation.
Challenge 2/ is to name the speaker.
Challenge 3/ is to suggest where he/she may, hopefully, be wrong.
[/list=a]

John Eacott
18th Nov 2001, 08:35
Dave,

Challenge 4 would appear to be to get the quote into the box.......

Page opens, but the box is empty!

Rotorbike
18th Nov 2001, 12:37
Couldn't get the quote up either.

But if you left click on the mouse and highlight the box...... MAGIC!!!

sprocket
18th Nov 2001, 14:07
A. You only have one pure helicopter development program in the country, the Boeing-Sikorsky Comanche, and you have one convertiplane, now called a tiltrotor, that's the Bell-Boeing Osprey.

That's all there is and there are no others in sight. None on the horizon, so what's being bought was developed a long time ago, 20 years or more, or variations are being bought.

So the verdict is clear, there isn't any other thing that's going to happen on the helicopter front.

B. (wild guess)
:D

C. I hear a rumour that there is a top secret SynchroLite and a Unicopter on the drawing boards!

OK how'd I do? ;)

Edited out my wild guess.

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: sprocket ]

Vfrpilotpb
18th Nov 2001, 17:44
Dave, Could it be this,

A./ Cant read it but will have a stab
B./ Osma Bin Liner
c./ trying to convince us that his God is right, he is still trying to start his R22 escape heli, but has left the rotor brake engaged!

D./ what ever prize is available please would you send it C/o The Hon Treasurer
The Main Palace
Iraq
for payment to the main Terrorist A/C No2 must be made out,: Donation from Foreign Nationals, :D :cool:

Now back to raking fallen leaves,

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: Vfrpilotpb ]

Dave Jackson
18th Nov 2001, 23:37
Mr. Al Vista knows the answer to B. :) Just copy any 5 or 6-word string from the quotation to the Alta Vista search engine.

Maybe there is no answer to C. :confused:

Sprocket

You're trick is better then mine. I give up. How do you get your answer B/ to reappear?

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: Dave Jackson ]

Lu Zuckerman
19th Nov 2001, 00:21
To: Dave Jackson

To get the maximum response I would suggest you post the information. I tried the left click on the box but to no avail

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: Lu Zuckerman ]

Dave Jackson
19th Nov 2001, 00:33
OOPS!!

Sprocket

Your answer just reappeared between this posting and my previous one.

HOW YOU DO THAT????? :eek:
________________-

Lu

The color of the text in the box is white and it is on a white background. To view the text, one must hold down the left mouse button and then swipe the cursor across the box. A copy of this quotation is in Sprocket's posting.

The author is still to be determined.

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: Dave Jackson ]

Lu Zuckerman
19th Nov 2001, 00:56

I believe it was the guy to whom this post is addressed.

Dave, you and I both live in Canada and your question related it to this country. Which country? Maybe it is correct when you limit it to the Comanche and the V-22 but most of the participants on this thread are from the UK, OZ, NZ and Europe. There is a lot of development of new designs in Europe the UK and the Far East with many of these designs soon to arrive in Canada and the USA.

Here is another question.

What was the last helicopter that Bell Helicopter was contracted for by the US Army to be designed from the ground up?
For that matter, any US Military organization.

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: Lu Zuckerman ]

Dave Jackson
19th Nov 2001, 02:00
Vfrpilotpb

This is a picture of the prize.

http://www.drag-on-fly.com/Y.gif

Unfortunately, it cannot be sent to Iraq. The Department of Export says that it might be used as a flying military weapon.

Is there another place where it can be dropped? (figuratively speaking of course)

Lu

You believe it was me?
No way, Jose. The gentleman who made this remark knows what he's talking about.

I can't answer your last question. It's still classified information. :)

Lu Zuckerman
19th Nov 2001, 03:44

Regarding the prize and its’ military potential:

With a sufficiently large power source and adequate carry through structure this could turn every infantryman into a lethal weapon. Each man can ferry himself from the FEBA to the center of combat activity. I do feel that the color scheme will have to be toned down to minimize visual aquisistion.

sprocket
19th Nov 2001, 03:57
Dave: How about Charles Kaman, 1998 interview?

Interview (http://www.aviationtoday.com/reports/kaman.htm)

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: sprocket ]

Dave Jackson
19th Nov 2001, 04:23
To Lu

>I do feel that the color scheme will have to be toned down to minimize visual aquisistion.<

Again, we are confronted by the problems of misunderstanding and the lack effective communication. Your comments about the color scheme are totally unfounded.

This prize is not what it may superficially appear to be. It is actually a drone and the colors must remain exactly as they are, since it is used for target practice by nearsighted gunners.

thjakits
19th Nov 2001, 05:26
WHO SAID "ROTORHEADS" ARE SERIIOUS PEOPLE??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3top :D

Dave Jackson
19th Nov 2001, 06:25
Sprocket

Your answers are far, far superior to Vfrpilotpb's. Regrettably, he has already been awarded first prize.

After much deliberation and in consideration of the fact that your country, Antarctic, is a 'Most Favored Nation', you will be receiving the newest S.H.I.T.

http://www.drag-on-fly.com/Z.gif
(**** ) Shortsighted Human Interdiction Target

sprocket
19th Nov 2001, 07:05
Thanks Dave:

Do you think my neck will have to endure gyrocopic precession while on the rolling deck of an icebreaker?
Is the rotor head of Bell/Robinson design, or is it an original S.H.I.T. head?

rotorque
19th Nov 2001, 14:56
I believe the S.H.I.T should be painted a mixture of dark and light brown for the best effect. Also it is proven that a S.H.I.T will travel more efficiently if it is tapered at both ends.

Capn Notarious
20th Nov 2001, 15:39
A far superior device, is the Nimbus 2000
as flown by Harry Potter. Having a good brush end, it would sweep away the opposition. :D

Capn Notarious
22nd Nov 2001, 02:20
The hat is all well and good. But I fancy that The Nimbus 2000 broom as flown by Harry Potter; is far superior. For with the brush head one could sweep up the opposition! :D