PDA

View Full Version : Air Pictorial

Krystal n chips
22nd Sep 2005, 16:54
I have a rather large collection of this magazine dating back to about 62 /63 and then up to the mid / late 70's. All in very good condition but not mint I have to say.

Much as I enjoyed reading them at the time--and there is a lot of nostalgia in the contents--they really are now taking up space.

Anybody any idea therefore if they are saleable and if so, where and to whom ? ---ebay being but one option of course.

Peter Barron
22nd Sep 2005, 18:18
Krystal n chips

I also have 100s and 100s of aircraft mags, air pics, air ills, flypast etc, they are all up in the loft.
Its very hard to sell them, nobody want's them, ebay would be more hassle than its worth, I have seen them on there many times, they just don't seem to sell, worth a go but don't hold out too much hope if you put them on there.

Peter.

jimgriff
23rd Sep 2005, 08:16
I collect old AIRCLUES if anyone wants to donate to a good cause:ok:

Captain Airclues
25th Sep 2005, 20:20
jimgriff

Who are you calling 'old'? :)

Airclues

Worf
1st Oct 2005, 04:37
I would say its worth putting them on Ebay. Speaking from personal experience having spent way too much money on buying old airplane magazines there!

Put them up in batches, that way they sell easier. Make the batches small (5-6 magazines a batch). Ask for a reasonable sum - 50p, and say you'll ship for what it cost you.

Some batches will sell for 50 p, some for 5 pounds, a few even for 10. Depends on demand. (Market forces and all that) - I dont know what beer costs in the UK now but you should be to able to have a pint or two with the proceeds! :)

Worf

WASALOADIE
1st Oct 2005, 07:59
If you want them to go to a good home, speak to your local Air Cadet Sqn, I'm sure they would love to have them

Captain Airclues
1st Oct 2005, 09:13
Krystal n chips

I suggest that the best place to sell them would be in the classified section of 'Aviation News' into which Air Pictorial was incorporated in July 2002. The first Air Pictorial was published in May 1950. Prior to that it was called Air Reserve Gazette which had changed its name from Air Training Corps Gazette in June 1946.
I have the complete run from January 1945 to date. However, although they give a fascinating insight into aviation history, I don't think that they are worth much financially. (Of course Air Clues mags are a different story :) )

Airclues

KeMac
1st Oct 2005, 13:21
I am in the same boat. I was at the Middle Wallop airshow years back and old mags were being sold in virtual mint condition and the bloke said to me the prices were cheaper than paper for chips as he put it. I did buy some though as I thought they were a bargain.;)

Krystal n chips
2nd Oct 2005, 08:38
Thanks for all the replies :ok: The answers have been pretty much as I expected re the value of the items however----however, unless you ask, you never learn.

I suppose therefore, that I will simply hang on to them, have the odd nostalgic browse---and leave the dispersal to whoever my executor can find----:D :E --saves me the problem after all !

As for Air Clues----couldn't agree more--however, the few copies I have do have a "certain relevance" --coughs--shall we say and I will not be parting with those.