PDA

View Full Version : CC: a possible alternative?

Sydney_xx
22nd Sep 2005, 15:42
...G'day at all...

...after having tried (without success), in the past three years, to rise up the necessary financial means to concretize my childhood dream of being an airline pilot, I had to face the reality and, finally, give up with it...at present I'm 23, with an italian high school diploma in the economic and accountancy field, and starting, without any real motivation, a foreign language university course...
...my mind, anyway, is still up in the sky, and in these days I'd have also considered the alternative of a cabin crew career...other than italian, my mother tongue, I'm pretty good with English and French, I can swim, in general I'm phisically fit (I wear glasses, but I was within pilot limits at the last medical check) and travelling/relocating isn't really a problem (I could be a stakhanovite with the right job...:) ), but, in some way, I've already faced the on-entry wall in this field from the pilot point of view...so, I'm asking myself (also considering I'm new in this side of the plane) what's the real situation around cabin crew figure...what about the possibility of employment, considering no previous experience (only in the financial branch...but that's completely another story...)...what about the chances of developing a concrete, stable career? I'd really need some advice from people who knows it surely better than me...

Thanks a lot for any help you could provide...and have a great day....

Bye,

Syd

Rabid Dog
23rd Sep 2005, 05:23
Why not try it and see? If it's not to your liking, what have you really lost?

ozangel
23rd Sep 2005, 06:31
I was in the same boat as you. I got everything done, bar 2 ATPL exams, then things changed for me, financially and personally.

Best thing I ever did! Really enjoy it! Go for it!!!

Experience in customer service is usually important, however when it comes down to the crunch, its who you are as a person and how you relate to others. Having done some flying training, you would probably have a great appreciation of safety, and procedure, and a good understanding of how the industry works.

Best of luck!! :ok:

Sydney_xx
23rd Sep 2005, 07:16
...first of all, let me thank you both Rabid Dog and Ozangel for your answers...

...you know, CC situation here, in Italy, is quite a mess, in my opinion...and that's why I would have considered the idea of relocating...now, my dream would be Australia, but I see it quite unrealistic (I really don't know the present situation down there...)...I've seen BA looks for a customer service experienced people, so not my case...Emirates will do an open day down in Rome (I'm in north part of Italy...:) ), and I'm thinking right now about going there trying a first impact with this world...
...generally speaking, anyway, what are the characteristics airlines look for in a cabin crew candidate?

...Thanks a lot again for all...

bye,

Syd

SkySista
23rd Sep 2005, 07:30
Syd,

if you're thinking of EK, I say go along to the recruitment day and give it a go. Either way you'll have fun and meet new people which is always good for experience.

Airlines basically look for people who are good with people, good communicators, willing to work hard, customer service experience. Of course with EK awareness of other cultures and religions is highly desirable.

I too wanted to be a pilot (still working on it) but am currently working in the industry and aiming to get a CC job in the meantime.

As they say there's more than one way to fly, and you may find you are more suited to being cabin crew than being a pilot (at least as a job - you can always still fly for fun or fly later on after you've travelled!! :D)

and if you're after info for a specific airline just use the 'Search' and you should find a lot of information about specific recruitment for various airlines...

Best of luck... :ok: