PDA

View Full Version : Arran vs Euromanx, Round 2

Hey there
22nd Sep 2005, 12:19
Three a day on MAN-IOM by Arran from November 24th.

BA vs 3W vs RE

Let the games begin .

dwlpl
22nd Sep 2005, 12:21
.....and SEVEN per day Liverpool/IOM from the same date, 24th November.

Hey there
22nd Sep 2005, 12:26
. . . and, with Ryanair starting on Dublin - Cork on the same day, Arran are sacrificing six of their nine rotations Cork to make the IOM happen so it's all O'Leary's fault then.

:)

MarkD
22nd Sep 2005, 13:23
Any word of the IOM govt support for Arann (note spelling) mentioned in previous threads?

San Expiry
22nd Sep 2005, 16:36
IMHO, this is extreeeemly bad news for anyone involved in the airline industry on the Isle of Man. Aer Arran has no vested interest in the Island and will contribute nothing economically. One has to question why they have decided to move in. The government cannot be stupid enough (then again?) to support a venture which could have employment repurcussions on its own people? :{

carltoncole
22nd Sep 2005, 17:03
And a handling agent with no pushback capability. With the decomissioning of the link taxiway soon, meaning that all peir stands at EGNS will be push back only, all these new services are gonna be remote waiting for the one bus to ferry them to the terminal, happy days!

MarkD
22nd Sep 2005, 17:55
San Expiry

RE are just the kind of operator I would have thought EGNS needs - used to optimising a small catchment area and a good network of existing routes to places IOM people might actually go to like LTN, MAN, EDI etc., and ATRs can get into LCY if necessary. It also has the advantage of being less vulnerable to MOL taking a fancy to opening a base there (like GWY, RE home base).

Now if they can just get CAT II approaches sorted...

Just because it isn't "????Manx" or "Manx ??????" doesn't mean it won't work out.

Sadly ORK has lost 6 flights a day to accommodate this!

San Expiry
22nd Sep 2005, 19:37
Mark

The Manx population is probably the most pampered community anywhere in the world as far as air routes/head of population is concerned. They (75000 of them) can already fly to LTN, LCY, LGW, STN, BHX, BRI, MAN, LPL, GLA, BHD, DUB, CDG and GWY ('til the end of the month), LBA and NCL. I stick to what I've said; the Island needs another operator like a hole in the head and it is Manx jobs on the line at the end of the day.:ugh:

MarkD
22nd Sep 2005, 20:00
RE announce IOM-MAN, 3 daily

http://www.aerarann.com/iom_man.htm

San Expiry - since IOM folk live on an island I reckon they have to use airlines far more than their population would usually demand (no trains, no buses), especially now ferry business is decreasing (at least in Ireland it is).

If RE bases aircraft at IOM there's jobs for Manx there right? (edited to note - if 3W loads to GWY were any good I am sure POC was taking notice given it is RE HQ)

Not Interested
22nd Sep 2005, 21:38
How on earth can this route possibly have 3 airlines operating it??!!
Its only a matter of time until one goes pop!!!

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
22nd Sep 2005, 23:07
I wonder who? and it looks if Man-HAJ will go as well Any clues?

G-I-B

atprider
23rd Sep 2005, 07:46
Who Flies Manchester- Hanover then ? RE or 3W ?

fragul
23rd Sep 2005, 07:49
Dwllpl - Where did you see 7 LPL-IOM rotations a day mentioned? Can't see it on the RE website?

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
23rd Sep 2005, 08:57
it`s Citiexpress who also operate the IOM flight

G-I-B

dwlpl
23rd Sep 2005, 09:19
Its not in the news section or the timetable section.

Look in the 'Book' section and select LPL/IOM for 24th November onwards.

NB. it now shows 6*returns per day not the 7 previously noted.

Hansol
23rd Sep 2005, 11:14
Bit of a shambles really AA had their last MCR due to arrive at the airport at 21.30, when it closes at 20.45 !

fragul
23rd Sep 2005, 12:43
Thanks dwllpl - Interesting info! 7 rotations looked only just about manageable with one airframe; bit tight on turnarounds I reckoned !

Incidentally - the last return from Manchester shown on the new timetable arrives after IOM airport's normal hours. Can RE operate from an unlicensed Aerodrome?

San Expiry
23rd Sep 2005, 12:54
There is no way the airport authority will permit a public transport flight to operate outside hours - it is illegal without crash cover.

Now, perhaps the storemen and shopkeepers who run the IOM have yet to announce that the airport operating hours are about to change?:E

skiddyiom
23rd Sep 2005, 13:28
I hope Aer Aran's fares are better than 3W. I looked at BA IOM-MAN-IOM for Oct 1st. Their price, £144.60 return, same day for 3W fare was £278. Makes one wonder how they manage to get any business at those rates. Maybe they have some other incentives - topless F/A's or something :}

skid

Whalerider
23rd Sep 2005, 22:56
Friend recently flew GLA-IOM-GLA day trip with Euromanx. £284 return for a 35 minute hop each way on a Dash-8.

Euromanx to cease IOM-GLA route 29 Sep - hardly a surprise at those fares !

San Expiry
24th Sep 2005, 08:47
And for those of you with long enough memories (all of 2 years at least) Arran had a go on the Island to Glasgow Prestwick route and couldn't make it work. I think it lasted about around 9 months though perhaps the choice of Scots destination was a bit questionable in the first place.

Eh Hello?
24th Sep 2005, 14:06
Round trip December 1:

3W: £173.00 depart 0710, back at 1940
BA £99.30 depart 0710, back at 2025
RE £39.98 depart 0655, return 2100 (although IOM closes at 2045)

San Expiry
25th Sep 2005, 10:58
Appeared in The Times:

“Aer Arann will perceive EuroManx as a soft, under-capitalised target who can be successfully attacked in a market-share war,” an airline analyst said. “The fact that EuroManx will have wound Aer Arann up by going into Galway will make things doubly attractive.”

Time WS got his mate Max Clifford on the case - some serious PR required to see this off. Any Euros care to comment?

michaelknight
25th Sep 2005, 12:11
Arann are to announce more routes out of IOM very soon, possibly this week. The gloves are now off!

Hansol
25th Sep 2005, 19:17
San ex - which Times. The London one or the Irish one ?

San Expiry
25th Sep 2005, 20:51
Today's Sunday Times http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1795747,00.html

fragul
25th Sep 2005, 21:23
Hmmm.... All very interesting, the times article. IOM-GWY to come shortly if I read right.

But Douglas Dalby indeed!!!

Made-up name or what!

kpiko3
28th Sep 2005, 15:13
Euromanx are giving up the GLA-IOM route so possibly aer arran will give IOM-PIK another shout.

kpiko3

supersnake
1st Oct 2005, 21:46
from what i hear from the island euromanx will be lucky to survive the winter. there prices are far to high and the introduction of air arron will finaly see them of good ridance i say