PDA

View Full Version : training In China? And regional pilots lives?

ivierre
21st Sep 2005, 20:45
I am wondering how it is like to have aviation training in China? Anyone knows?

Also, how is the life flying regional airlines in China? Is the pay a lot lower than standard? How do they compare to the standards in USA or in UK or other places?

Thank

Medwin
21st Sep 2005, 22:26
I think you're in a better position to answer your own questions since you're from HK. :confused:

ivierre
21st Sep 2005, 23:02
I tried to ask around but i will be in London for a while and just hoping that if anyone in the field in China would give better and more accurate info...

thanks anyway

Patrick Murphy
23rd Sep 2005, 02:19
To my knowledge, there is only one privately operated flight school in China and that is ours, Beijing PanAm International Aviation Academy. We currently have over 150 students. All but one of the current students are sponsored by a Chinese airline, but the school is open to anyone who would like to train there. Check out the English version of the website at www.panamaviation.com/en

Unfortunately, China is continuing for now to offer their PPL, IR, and CPL exams for students in only Mandarin. We hope that will change in the future. They are allowing our FIs to take the required tests in English, though. The ATPL exam is in English.

And I apologize in advance for the language mistakes on our English version of the website. It was translated directly from the Chinese and is now being revised to be more presentable in English. The new version should be posted in a few days.

There are two government operated flight colleges operating in China offering 4 year degrees along with the flight training.

Beijing PanAm is also looking for flight and ground instructors. You can view the job annoucement for flight instructors on the website.

If you have any particular questions about training in China, please post the question here and I'll do my best to answer, but I've only been in China for 8 weeks - expat from the USA.

Or email me at [email protected]

BTW, I used to be at Delta Connection Academy in Florida until May of this year. While there, I was involved with their JAA program among many other duties as Director of Training.

Patrick Murphy
General Manager, Flight Training Dept.
Beijing PanAm International Aviation Academy

Philip_123
23rd Sep 2005, 15:47
Hi floks. I'm interested in it too. Could you please tell me what's the limitation to the eyesight? I've heard that shortsight can not accepted in China, is that true?

Thanks a lot!

ivierre
24th Sep 2005, 00:47
Patrick, Please check your email...

and thank you very much for your reply. I am also wondering how tough is it to get a class one in China....

I am slightly short sighted also....:(

Patrick Murphy
25th Sep 2005, 08:39
From the reaction of the doctor who checked my eyes, he may never have examined a pilot with as bad uncorrected vision as mine. But I still was able to get a Class I Medical Certificate. At 51 years of age, I now wear progressive lenses (tri-focals) but my corrected vision is 20/15.

I think the problem lies more with the expectation of the Chinese Airlines. None of our current 127 students (all of whom are airline sponsored) wear glasses. They have all been screened by the airlines first before they came to us.

Patrick Murphy
Beijing PanAm International Aviation Academy

fhchiang
25th Sep 2005, 12:02
haha in china..............

well...

the population is too big....

A Metropolitan like beijing easily have 20-25 million residents or more................ which equals to the population of a average country..........

to get individuals with PERFECT eyesight is EASY!!!

unlike.. lets say singapore.... it's not that easy to get individuals with perfect SIGHT

ivierre
25th Sep 2005, 14:32
thanks for the replies.

So is that means if people/pilots who have eye sight problem will not be hired? :sad:

Farrell
25th Sep 2005, 17:33
Patrick.......just a question

On your website you have very fancy computer generated images of your school - in fact you even have one of the gents toilets.

Is this what the school really looks like now, or is that what you would like it to look like someday?

fhchiang
26th Sep 2005, 07:52
hmm i can't tell you exactly now..

i'm not a pilot yet..

i just heard from my people and my AME that pilots who wear glasses will lose out to pilots who have perfect sight if both apply at the same time

Patrick Murphy
26th Sep 2005, 09:04
Well, I am still looking for the gents toilet on the website. Guess I didn't pay attention to that before.

However, Beijing PanAm has constructed and is occupying the Flight Operations Building, Administration Building, Cafeteria and Exercise Room building, student dormitory, and Annex Building (additional classrooms and offices). The computer enhanced presentations on the album section of the website which includes classrooms, dispatch area, conference room, and hallways are a reasonably accurate representation. Color schemes and desk set-ups were altered in the final construction. The campus overview is also computer generated and includes a hangar and some ramp space that is only now under construction. It also includes what appears to be additional student dormitories that are not yet constructed. I'll suggest to our website people that they might now substitute actual photos for the computer generated ones.

Patrick Murphy
Beijing PanAm

BlueEagle
26th Sep 2005, 11:13
You have, so far, had a good run for your money but, for the future, especially the future of PPRuNe, would be grateful if you go via this (http://www.pprune.org/advert.php) route!:ok:

Thanks.

BlueEagle - Moderator.