PDA

View Full Version : Nato Caoc

KC-10 Driver
21st Sep 2005, 18:52
Can anyone tell me the locations of each of the NATO CAOCs?

I'm quite sure that this isn't sensitive information, but I've been all over the NATO and SHAPE websites with no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Yeller_Gait
21st Sep 2005, 19:01
From the NATO website, www.nato.int

AFNORTH

The CAOCs will remain the executive element of air power. In the old command structure, there were three: at Finderup, DA (CAOC 1), Kalkar, GE (CAOC 2), and Meßstetten, GE (CAOC 4). The new structure includes five: besides the current ones, there will be CAOC 3 at Reitan, Norway, and CAOC 9 at High Wycombe in the United Kingdom.

AFSOUTH

They are ICAOC-5, at Poggio-Renatico, Italy; ICOC-6, at Eskisehir, Turkey; ICAOC-7, at Larrissa, Greece; ICAOC-8, at Madrid, Spain; and ICAOC-10 at Lisbon, Portugal.

Though this may all change in the near future as part of the leaning (cutting) process that seems to be the flavour of the month.

Y_G

SirToppamHat
22nd Sep 2005, 15:14
CAOC 9 (High Wycombe) is due to close in the not too distant future, after which the UK will come under CAOC 2 (Kalkar) for NATO taskings.

I suspect CAOC 9 will be replaced with a National organisation of some sort (actually it's not that long since we had the UK CAOC - CAOC 9 is a relatively recent incarnation).

STH

M609
22nd Sep 2005, 15:28
CAOC3 will allso close, that too will be replaced with a national replacement of some sort.

Yeller_Gait
22nd Sep 2005, 20:41
The plan is to go down to 4 CAOC's in Europe, but I cannot remember exactly which ones are closing and which ones are staying, or the time scale for the rationalisation, .... hope this helps (':confused:')

Impiger
22nd Sep 2005, 20:44
CAOCs - The Future

Yellergait has listed the current plot. In the future forget numbers as it will only confuse but there will be NATO ACCS CAOCs at Finderupt DA, Eudem GE, Larissa GR and Poggio Renatica IT. There will also be two deployable CAOCs parked at Eudem and Poggio with a training deployment base at Torrejon SP.

Yeller_Gait
22nd Sep 2005, 20:52
Impiger,

Thanks for the info .......... the future will be fun no doubt

KC-10 Driver
23rd Sep 2005, 04:25
Thanks for the information. I had thought there were 10, and had heard they were going to be reduced to 4 or 5.

For those CAOCs that will be replaced with National organizations, does anyone think it will still be possible to get a NATO sponsored assignment to them? Or will they solely be staffed with host nation nationals.

FromTheDarkside
13th Oct 2005, 13:17
KC-10 Driver

Big hand figures are that the current 10 NATO CAOCs have a peace-time manpower overhead of about 1150. These CAOCs are manned by NATO nations who decide whether or not they wish to contribute manpower to a particular location. Under the new structure there will be 4 static CAOCs and 2 deployable CAOCs that will be funded and manned internationally by all the NATO nations. Therefore in theory, the US should take up a share of the posts in all locations; however it is up to the US to decide how many personnel it commits and where. The new structure requires around 1300 posts the increase is because of the slightly larger complement in each of the 4 +2 CAOCs and the inclusion of a new element the DARS (Deployable Air Control Centre (ACC), Recognized Air Picture Production Centre (RPC) and Sensor Fusion Post (SFP) (DARS)) in effect an aircraft Control and Surveillance centre with bells and whistles.

The current CAOCs have USAF personnel assigned and I see no reason why the future should not see a similar number. There will be a requirement for AAR planners - but whether or not the USA decides to bid for those posts and at what rank it will be manned is a question for your command staffs. I would suggest you contact HQ USAFE at Ramstein - DOYO I think was the department though the name may have changed. 32 AOS at Ramstein might also have an insight on where your nation is going man the new CAOC structure.

Good Luck

FTDS

PS: don't hold your breath - the new manning is probably not going to be in place until 2007 at the earliest and the kit is rumoured to be further delayed.
:ok: