PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to...................

BRL
21st Sep 2005, 15:00
Curry!! I don't know what it is but I have this huge craving for a curry all the time.

As soon as I wake up I think, "Right, a nice curry wouldn't go amiss" and long for one all day. I could eat one anytime of the day, no problem and often do.

I can't explain why this addiction/craving is happening like it is :confused: It has just sort of come on like this over the last couple of weeks.

Anyhow, I am not complaining, just getting plumper!!

Anyone else got the hots, sudden urges, cravings for something like this???

Rushton
21st Sep 2005, 15:01
Ohmygosh you must be pregnant - many congratulations

BRL
21st Sep 2005, 15:02
:ooh: :ooh: :ooh: :ooh: :ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

tom775257
21st Sep 2005, 15:06
The cure I feel is for you to eat a phal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think early in the morning the next day your addiction will be cured!

lasernigel
21st Sep 2005, 15:08
Curry and sex.Problem is I seem to eat a lot more curry recently.:{ :{
Trouble is I'm getting bigger but I'm NOT preggers.However Congratulations.:ok:

BlueDiamond
21st Sep 2005, 15:08
Cravings ... putting on weight ... yup, Rushton's diagnosis is obviously correct. Congratulations, mate. :ok:

kooyheier
21st Sep 2005, 15:19
tom775257

Your damn right about that phal I'll tell you, I have never had such a bad toilet experience!!!!
Always makes me think of the words in a particular song;
"and it burns burns burns, the ring of fire, the ring of fire"

cheerio:cool:

Nickoli
21st Sep 2005, 15:21
I LOVE CURRY. Any time, but recently I woke up after a heavy night out and raided what was left of the ruby from the night before (Lamb Rogan Josh), and had the worst case of heartburn ever for 3 days. Nothing would shift it, but the better half is made up as she hates it when I do the take away morning after thing.:yuk:

Farrell
21st Sep 2005, 16:20
Curry! Yes...!

And am very partial to chicken korma!

SmilingKnifed
22nd Sep 2005, 01:53
JB isn't the place to admit to kormasexuality mate;)

Even though I am rather partial to one myself.

Komba
22nd Sep 2005, 11:14
Bovril.

On hot toast, on cold toast, in a cup of hot water... don't mind - Yummy:E

The Real Slim Shady
22nd Sep 2005, 11:19
Chicken Tikka Saag, Bhindi Bhaji with a couple of chapatis and a Kingfisher.

Parapunter
22nd Sep 2005, 11:24
Bombay Mix. I am completely & utterly addicted to Bombay Mix & have been for years. The best I have found so far is Sainsbury's although it's a bit mild - Silver Palm foods Vindaloo mix'll put hair on yer chest too. I would welcome any contributions in furtherance of my addiction.:\

tall and tasty
22nd Sep 2005, 11:28
Popcorn salted , ice cream, strawberries and bananas are my biggest cravings and no I am not preggers

And the very obvious - begins with S

sipping champagne and eating white truffles..............a ladies heaven :E

TnT :p

lexxity
22nd Sep 2005, 12:21
I haven't got any cravings or addictions, how rubbish is that? The one time in my life I can eat as much of anything I want.:rolleyes:

Though one is rather partial to mars bar ice creams, but definitely not addicted.

pigboat
22nd Sep 2005, 12:26
Love. I might as well face it, I'm addicted to love. ;)

Stoney X
22nd Sep 2005, 12:55
I, too, am rather addicted to curry. Problem is that the mildest curry causes one to sweat in bucket loads causing glasses to slide off my face :8 Haven't had the courage yet to eat curry whilst wearing my contacts for fear my eyeballs sweat too :sad:

Regards
Stoney

PS Congrats on the BRLittle

RiskyRossco
22nd Sep 2005, 13:31
Roast pork and apple sauce. I'm easily pleased. And Rocky Road ice cream, for afters.
;)

Biggles Flies Undone
22nd Sep 2005, 13:36
The cure I feel is for you to eat a phal for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I thought that was the cure for homosexuality (i.e. teaches a chap what his back bottom is really for) :confused:

Anyone remember the map at the start of Bonanza? :E

Binoculars
22nd Sep 2005, 13:44
Dum diddlum diddlum diddlum diddlum dum,
Dum diddlum diddlum diddlum, dum diddlum dum dum?

That one? :hmm:

Biggles Flies Undone
22nd Sep 2005, 13:47
That's the one, Binos - then the map starts to burn in the middle before the flames spread outwards :E

Binoculars
22nd Sep 2005, 13:57
No. Never heard of it. Sorry. :(

RiskyRossco
22nd Sep 2005, 13:57
That got me thinking.
How many doors does Maxwell Smart go through?

Biggles Flies Undone
22nd Sep 2005, 13:59
Even more importantly, why did he drive a Triumph Tiger when they were dogs :confused:

Widger
22nd Sep 2005, 14:39
Used to be something called Bombay Duck. Bl**dy lovely, but the health and safety geeks banned it. Something to do with fly infested banks of rivers or something. Beat pork scratchings well into the corner.

Binoculars
22nd Sep 2005, 14:47
I always thought it was a Sunbeam Alpine. :confused: :confused:

But anyway, because that's the sort of car he would have driven; all show and no go.

Biggles Flies Undone
22nd Sep 2005, 14:53
It was a Tiger, Binos. They put a small block V8 into the Alpine - same reasoning with BMC putting the straight six into a MGB to make the MGC i.e. more power makes it go faster. Unfortunately more weight over the front wheels also equals terminal understeer. I blame the French ;)

Edit - a quick Google and the last sentence suggests we both (http://www.sunbeam.org.au/models/tiger.htm) could be right :D

Binoculars
22nd Sep 2005, 15:09
Hmm, no, the Alpine was to my knowledge never sold as a V8 in Australia. Was it exactly the same body?

Ah yes, the famous MGC. :} If some is good, more must be better.

The six cylinder Cortina of the early 70's comes to mind as well. The 2 litre four was quite a nicely balanced machine even if everything did fall off. The same car, same suspension with a whacking great cast iron six over the front wheels was one of the most evil handling cars I've ever driven. Went like a scalded cat, but you had to stop and push it around gentle sweepers. :yuk:

(We've done a pretty good hijack job on this thread, haven't we?) :E

+'ve ROC
22nd Sep 2005, 18:21
Halo2, Xbox Live and multiplayer gaming :8

SirToppamHat
22nd Sep 2005, 18:58
As this is turning into a bit of a curry fest ...

SOP Order:

Starter: Mixed Kebab
Plus: Poppadoms + Stuff

Main: King Prawn Korma
Rice: Fried or Mushroom Fried
Bread: Keema Naan

Pudding: Not Required!!!

STH

tall and tasty
22nd Sep 2005, 19:16
Main: King Prawn Korma

Now if we are going to talk curries I will sercome, I love the King Pawn Korma with lemon rice or it has to be one of the hot madras nothing inbetween, very strange.

Loads of the veggie dishes and then have to go to the gym for three weeks to work it off :{ :( a moment on the hips and all, but worth it every mouthful

TnT:p

Romeo Charlie
22nd Sep 2005, 21:13
Starter;

Shami Kebab
Poppadoms etc

Main Course;

Lamb Pasanda
Saag Aloo
Aloo Ghobi
Tarka Dahl
Peas Pilau Rice
2 Chapatis

1 bottle of decent Bordeux

Good company (preferably female, aged 25-40, good looking, intelligent etc)

Dead_Heading
22nd Sep 2005, 21:21
Had a lovely indian beer with my madras at one point..not tiger, not cobra, sommat else, my memory appears to be somewhat clouded as to what it was...anyone got any ideas...?

tubthumper
22nd Sep 2005, 21:27
It is possible to be addicted to something other than curry....

The present Mrs Thumper bought me a Su Doku book for my last birthday. Haven't got an ounce of work done since, and I fear the addiction is beginning to spread through Tubthumper Tower.

Should have stuck to the curry. Lamb Pasanda, mushroom pilau, chicken chat to kick it off, and lashings of ginger beer.

fmgc
22nd Sep 2005, 21:32
Chx Madras
Pilau Rice
Garlic Naan
Tarka dhal

and it has to come from my local Indian Takeaway.

pork scratchings

I used to love said frazzled pig skin until I found a nipple in them!

DirtyPierre
22nd Sep 2005, 21:49
Love Indian, but absolutlely addicted to Mrs. DP's roast lamb and veges (with lovely gravy and mint sauce).

I'm quite fond of Mrs DP too.

RJM
22nd Sep 2005, 21:55
To leave curry for a moment to return to the interesting topic of Maxwell Smart's car. He drove a Sunbeam Alpine, I think. There was no Triumph Tiger car, although there was (and still is, I think) a Triumph Tiger motorbike.

Rootes (who made the Alpine) let Carroll Shelby into their design office and the ultimate result was the 4.7 litre Sunbeam Tiger (with a Ford 289 V8). When Chrysler bought Rootes, the idea of a Ford engined car in their range was a bit much, so the car was dropped. Rootes ran a couple of Sunbeam Tigers at Le Mans.

As a matter of interest, Bill Bixby, in My Favorite Martian drove a Triumph TR4.

As to performance and handling, the four cylinder Alpine was a boulevard cruiser and not very quick or agile. The Tiger was fast and a handful.

The TR4 was built on an ancient chassis, and was a good car until you had to corner. The TR4 IRS which followed it had a swing-axle rear suspension that guaranteed evil handling. The rear wheels swung together over bumps like a VW Beetle's.

The MGC was an attempt to create a more modern Healey 3000 without that car's looks or grunt but with some semblence of safety and rational production. The Healey's chassis was built in one place, then trucked to another factory where the running gear was fitted. The bodies were built elsewhere again, at the Jensen factory.

The MGC was at least built on one production line but the 'C' series 6 was heavy and not very powerful for its weight. The MGC didn't last long, while the Healey, with its strong Austin engine, fell foul of Californian crash regs in the later 1960's. As it should have. In a frontal collision, the Healey's steering column speared the driver while the engine tended to ride back on the chassis rails, turn sideways and land in the passenger's lap.

My addiction, by the way, is cars.

Rollingthunder
22nd Sep 2005, 21:57
It was a Tiger, Binos. They put a small block V8 into the Alpine

The Sunbeam Tiger.

IIRC Chrysler had bought out Sunbeam by this time and had to install a Ford 289ci as it was the only thing that would fit - just.

Real honker of a car though.

Had a Humber Super Snipe once. Walnut folding tables in the rear. Could do a hundred and ten.

Curry - Can take it or leave it. Prefer a big, messy cheese burger.:uhoh: Urp.:uhoh:

RJM
22nd Sep 2005, 22:36
You may be right about Chrysler and the Ford engine, RT.

The last Humber Super Snipe was quite an impressive car in its way. Similar to a 3.5 litre Rover (P7?) in my book.

Foss
23rd Sep 2005, 00:06
If there's no curry, beef Monster Munch and tabasco sauce.

Fos

guccigal
23rd Sep 2005, 01:48
My mother lived in India (her family were British citizens {?}) before they came to Australia. Therefore, curry was abundantly available to me in my youth. When i moved out of home I was glad i hadn't learnt how to make it, i was so sick of it. But now (5yrs later) I love it again. So, beware of overkill.

Current addiction is Nescafe Vanilla Latte. Yum

BombayDuck
23rd Sep 2005, 03:14
Widger

Used to be something called Bombay Duck. Bl**dy lovely, but the health and safety geeks banned it. Something to do with fly infested banks of rivers or something. Beat pork scratchings well into the corner.

:{

Next time you're in Bombay.... give me a heads-up! Oh, and here Bombay Duck is available only in the monsoon i.e. June-September.

the rest of you:

Its
Pulau, not Pilau
Daal, not Dhal
Kheema, not Keema

*mutters under breath*foreigners! murdering our cuisine..... :*

;)

RJM
23rd Sep 2005, 03:16
Macaroni Cheese. Bugger the curry.

Capn Notarious
23rd Sep 2005, 07:30
A Magnum ice cream on a stick. That'ud cool the ring of fire but might fudge the issue and spoil........
Food chilli, con carne, lasagne, spaghetti bolonease. All good for the Capn's table, not so sure about fish fingers.

fmgc
23rd Sep 2005, 07:33
Pulau, not Pilau etc

BombayDuck,

I am hesitant to disagree with you in this one due to you situation, however as the Indian language does not use the alphabet as we do then there can be no exatc defined spelling for Indian words written with our alphabet.

I shall emphasize my point; I guess that the Indian word for chicken is "mugh" but every Indian restaurant I go into (and I go into a lot) it is spelt completely differently.

Romeo Charlie
23rd Sep 2005, 09:00
BombayDuck

I've seen many different spellings of Indian Subcontinent cuisine including 'Dal', 'Puppadoms', Jalfrezi/Jalfry, Allo Saag/Saag Aloo etc.
I always ask which part of the subcontinent the restaurants owners are from, and it would seem that spelling is dependant on location and thus presumably the original language (Hindi, Urdu, Gujerati, Tamil, Sinhalese etc)

Biggles Flies Undone
23rd Sep 2005, 09:10
RJM if you check the last sentence of the link (http://www.sunbeam.org.au/models/tiger.htm) I posted on the previous page you will see that Smart drove a Tiger :ok:

Agreed, Binos - one of the great hi-jacks :p

BombayDuck
23rd Sep 2005, 11:02
spell it by sound, dear sirs!

and its muRg, not mugh.... Murga/Murgi are literally Rooster/Hen. That 'R' should be there! :* :ok:

I find it funny because the spelling screw up the pronunciations spectacularly...

And its Aloo / Aaloo :D

i agree with you though, these things dont translate well into english at all... in most Indian languages (i dont know beyond three, and one of them doesnt have a written script :* ) the words are spelt as written, and there are no variations like those seen in Anglais.... "cough" & "dough" & "bough" and all those famous examples....

but just someone tell me...

wtf is "phal"? ("Fal" in Hindi means fruit. I'm sure thats not it, though...)

RJM
23rd Sep 2005, 12:08
Sorry about that, Chief. I defer to your greater knowledge, Biggles.

Don Adams must have had a ball making Get Smart - a hoot of a comic role, a hot car AND 99!

VitaminGee
23rd Sep 2005, 12:31
wtf is "phal"? ("Fal" in Hindi means fruit. I'm sure thats not it, though Although I'm not a fan of food that hurts (twice!) Bombay Duck in UK Phal translates as :mad: ing hot i.e worse that tindaloo/vindaloo.

VG

Binoculars
23rd Sep 2005, 12:40
Why do these people keep talking about food, Biggles?

Actually I thought the original sticking point was that you initially said it was a Triumph Tiger, and RJM, I think, said there was no such thing. I confess I haven't googled before I leap here, but Triumph weren't part of the Rootes stable were they?

So long since I've seen a Triumph four wheeler in one piece I'd just about forgotten about them. The last one I saw was a TR6 back in about 1977 which spectacularly came apart under acceleration while driving past me. Looked like the drive shaft gave way, ploughed into the bitumen in a shower of sparks, the car almost porpoised. Frightened the crap out of me it did.

Should I have googled?

brain fade
23rd Sep 2005, 12:43
Well I'm lucky enough to own a Tiger. It's a feckin animal of a car, best parked or driven with respect. Made in 1965 and will still eat anything (almost) alive as long as its dry and the road is straight!

This thread is making me hungry!:ok:

RJM
23rd Sep 2005, 13:08
The, er, thread was sort of hijacked, Binos. The subject actually is food, mainly curry apparently, and the car thing is a bit of a red herring, to coin a phrase.

Anyway, to my knowledge Triumph and Rootes were never in the same stable. Triumph and Standard got together though (then BMC rooted Triumph - another story).

I these parts there are still plenty of Triumphs weaving and bouncing around. It doesn't rain much so they stay on the road and don't rust. Not that most Triumphs do many miles ('Join the Australian Triumph Club - why not push your car to one of our Friday meetings').

Evil handlers - last nice cars they made were the Mayflower/Renown razor edge saloons. Most others tended to sag a bit if sat in and to poke their noses into bushes if cornered.

skyreadycom
23rd Sep 2005, 13:20
Air Hostesses, especially BMI, love the hats :hmm:

RJM
23rd Sep 2005, 13:22
What, skyready? Hats? What hats?

To more or less make up for all the car stuff, here is an old and extremely silly parody of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody:

Bohemian Curry

Naan, just killed a man
Poppadom against his head
Had lime pickle, now he's dead
Naan, dinner just begun
But now I'm going to crap it all away
Naan-aa, ooh-ooh
Didn't mean to make you cry
Seen nothin' yet just see the loo tomorrow
Curry on, Curry on,
'Cause nothing really madras

Too late, my dinner's gone
Sends shivers up my spine
Rectum aching all the time
Goodbye every bhaji, I've got to go
Gotta leave you all behind and use the loo
Naan-aa, ooh ooh
This Dopiaza's mild
I sometimes wish we'd never come here at all...

(Guitar solo)

I see a little chicken tikka on the side
Rogan Josh, Rogan Josh pass the chutney made of mango
Vindaloo does nicely
Very very spicy
Meat!
Biryani (Biryani)
Biryani (Biryani)
Biryani and a naan
(A vindaloo loo loo...)

I've eaten balti, somebody help me
He's eaten balti, get him to a lavatory
Stand you well back
Cause this loo is quarantined
Here it comes
There it goes
Technicolor yawn
I chunder
No!
It's coming up again
(There he goes) I chunder
It's coming up again
(There he goes) It's coming up again
(Up again) Coming up again (up again)
Here it comes again
(No no no no no no no no no NO).
On my knees, I'm on my knees, I'm on my knees Oh there he goes
This vindaloo
Is about to wreck my guts
Poor me... Poor me... Poor me!

(Guitar solo)

So you think you can chunder and still it's alright?
So you want to eat curry and drink beer all night?
Ohh maybe, now you'll puke like a baby,
Just had to come out,
Just had to come right out in here....

(Guitar solo)

Korma, saag or bhuna,
Balti, naan, bhaji.
Nothing makes a difference
Nothing makes a difference to me
(Anyway, my wind blows.)

Maxbert
23rd Sep 2005, 15:22
Dead-Heading:

Had a lovely indian beer with my madras at one point..not tiger, not cobra, sommat else, my memory appears to be somewhat clouded as to what it was...anyone got any ideas...?

A brew called Lal-Toofan, mayhap?

Cheers!

:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Sep 2005, 13:27
Kingfisher?

Not a fan of lagers but she'll do....

Kaptin M
24th Sep 2005, 13:37
Tarts

Dead_Heading
24th Sep 2005, 14:27
Maxbert, that's the one! :ok: Not a fan of lagers generally as a rule either SRT, but definitefly going to try and get my grubby mits on some of that

RJM
27th Sep 2005, 00:09
R I P Don Adams - for those who were reading the Sunbeam Tiger half of this somewhat schizophrenic thread. I heard the sad news this morning that Don Adams, aka Maxwell Smart and Agent 86, died after an illness.

Binoculars
27th Sep 2005, 00:44
Nobody had him in Death Lotto. Just as well 'cos there was nothing to win after I got the jackpot last week. :E