PDA

View Full Version : Pan Am Video

Farrell
21st Sep 2005, 11:54
The Golden Age of Flight...., how i wish I could've been a pilot back then!

http://www.aviationexplorer.com/pan_am_airlines_movie_from_1958.htm

UniFoxOs
21st Sep 2005, 12:08
...or a passenger.

Parapunter
21st Sep 2005, 12:13
Was Heathrow in East London then, just past the houses of Commons? Just going by the footage from 150ft agl??:confused:

Onan the Clumsy
21st Sep 2005, 12:29
...or just to live in the US back then.

I guess they didn't use 'representative samples' in their vids back then. and the cabin...it looks like the deck of the Hindenburg - minus the flames of course.

great film, I love watching yesterday's predictions of the future. They got this mostly correct, apart from docking at the gate tail first :confused: , and they didn't mention what a horrible zoo-like experience flying was to become :}

JudyTTexas
21st Sep 2005, 12:34
Excellent! Thanks for sharing...

lasernigel
21st Sep 2005, 12:37
Great video clip.Did you notice you got leg room and proper food then.:ok:
If you concentrate on the last bit in Paris you'll see a car driving on the pavement.Do they still do that??:ok:
Why was the 'Captain' in the right hand seat?

lexxity
21st Sep 2005, 14:15
Don't you wish aviation was still like that? What a great video. Thanks very much for that:ok:

PanPanYourself
21st Sep 2005, 18:31
Great video.

But this was 47 years ago and we ain't gettin' there any faster today. Time for another one of these revolutions I'd say. Get on it if you're an engineer, I'd really appreciate that, thanks.

One more thing... the narrator says "you get there feeling refreshed and without any travel fatigue". Oh is that right buddy?? I have never gotten off a transatlantic flight feeling refreshed nor has anybody I've travelled with. Even on those rare occasions when I go business class it doesn't make a difference. Jet lag is a bitch also. I wonder how pilots deal with that.

But yeah, interesting and nice video.

Flash0710
22nd Sep 2005, 01:32
Wow!

How exciting would that have been to people then? The world had just shrunk.

What would knock our socks off now would be a 747/A380 (its flying) sized machine with the speed of Concorde +200 and the fuel consumption of a step-through.

After seeing just how much the Airlines are scraping to save money by the state of airboune gourmet today, this operation must have been losing hand over fist operating in this configuration.

If any of you are peed off with the now lack of decent cutlery on board as we are all now potential terrorists. Blame Pan Am for making it look normal to have your lounge:*

Shame the romance for aviation is so widly taken for granted now.

Tired Emotional

F

:)

The SSK
22nd Sep 2005, 09:30
Truly the golden age of luggage

They don't make suitcases like that any more.

ExSimGuy
24th Sep 2005, 08:43
and with all that concentratkion on the flight to London, they probably didnt lose the suitcases either:}