PDA

View Full Version : How many hours, to get a job?

a.p
28th Jan 2001, 22:37
I hoping to go out to Canada as half my family live out there already. I am wondering if somebody could tell me how many hours I need to get a job with decent pay. If its good to have an instrument rating, mountain qualified before applying or if companies will provide the training, or is that hoping too much.
Any info would be much appreciated. Thanx.

offshoreigor
29th Jan 2001, 11:41
a.p:

There are many companies to work for in Canada, all with varying requirements wrt experience. For instance a company like CHC is able to hire much less experienced pilots because they're overall Insurance Experience Base is not affected by low time pilots.

Some smaller operators may not be able to handle the increased insurance premium if they have too many low time pilots.

I guess the bottom line is, you have to do some reasearch and then go on the road and visit these prospective employers to get some "Face Time" with each Ops manager. The best time to do this is right now as most Ops managers will be building up they're hiring list for the summer now. The more companies you visit, the better you're chances.

CHC Eastern requires about 500 hrs + IR and ATPL(H) exams written for Air Ambulance but the pay is low to start. International generally requires 1500-2000 hours with ATPL(H). CHC Western has been known to hire low timers <500 hours on certain ops.

Get out there and get some face time, it may be the best money you've ever spent.

Cheers, OffshoreIgor http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by offshoreigor (edited 29 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by offshoreigor (edited 29 January 2001).]