PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Airbus (Rumour)

night hawk 150
20th Sep 2005, 14:34
hi i just heard in the work rest room today(ryanair stansted) that ryanair are looking to aquire or have aguired some airbus's for them to start the lo cost long haul routes.

there were talk's maybe A319 but not sure.

does anyone have any information on this and can anyone tell me if this is true or not?

regards
Craig

A4
20th Sep 2005, 14:40
Long haul with an A319....... don't know if ACT (additional centre tank) is an option on the A319. Would have thought that for LoCo long haul a big A/C such as A330 or A350 would be more apt.

Bums on seats to generate the extra revenue that LoCos rely on.

A4

Kalium Chloride
20th Sep 2005, 14:41
I heard that low-cost longhaul was mentioned briefly by MOL at a conference today.

Oshkosh George
20th Sep 2005, 16:23
I must say that would be surprising at the current fuel price. A319s already fly long haul,but business class only. Would MOL enter this market?

akerosid
20th Sep 2005, 17:17
I doubt it very much - not so much the long haul low cost (but the thought of flying with FR for anything more than two hours. Ugh!)

If they were to go down this road, the A319 would not be the right aircraft. They need to adopt the same pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap approach. Depending on how long the sectors will be, the proposed 737-900X would probably be worth considering. Failing that, they'd probably want to go for widebodies - 787?

jumpy737
20th Sep 2005, 17:49
Aloha! WestJet Announces All-Jet Service to Honolulu and Maui

CALGARY, ALBERTA--(CCNMatthews - Sept. 20, 2005) -

Airline Will Offer Five Flights a Week to Honolulu Starting December 9, 2005 and Two Flights a Week to Maui Starting December 17, 2005

WestJet (TSX:WJA) today announced it will begin offering non-stop service to the new markets of Honolulu and Maui, Hawaii. This new schedule also offers connecting flights to several other WestJet destinations across North America. Seats are available for sale immediately.

"WestJet is absolutely thrilled to be announcing non-stop flights to Hawaii," said Sean Durfy, WestJet's Executive Vice-President of Marketing and Sales. "Hawaii is one of the destinations that our loyal guests and dedicated WestJetters have been asking us to serve for several years. With our convenient schedule, reasonable fares and brand new Boeing Next-Generation 737-800 jets equipped with leather seats and more legroom, I am confident that guests won't hesitate to choose WestJet when travelling to the beautiful Hawaiian Islands."

WestJet is Canada's leading low-cost airline currently offering scheduled service throughout its 34-city North American network. Named Canada's most respected corporation for customer service in 2005, WestJet pioneered low-cost high-value flying in Canada. With increased legroom and leather seats on its modern fleet of Boeing Next-Generation 737 aircraft, and live seatback television provided by Bell ExpressVu on its 737-700 fleet, WestJet strives to be the number one choice for travellers.

If WestJet can do Hawaii with the -800 couldn't Ryanair do the same sorts of distances?

Flying Mech
20th Sep 2005, 18:21
Could somebody tell me (prefarably a 737 NG pilot) to do that kind of range from Canada (Vancouver maybe?) to Hawai would you need an Aux tank in the cargo bay for range and if you did how many Pax could you carry to allow you stay within MTOW tolerances. Maybe a 757 would be more suitable or A321 with Aux tank for a route like thisif you were going to do it with a narrowbody. From FR @s point of view maybe they are going to start crossing the pond to the USA.

MarkD
20th Sep 2005, 18:37
WJ are going up against Harmony 757s and AC 767/343s here - be interesting to see how pax fancy 4300-4400km GC distance in a 738.

cdb
20th Sep 2005, 20:32
Hmmm, I'd have thought that if Ryanair went for long-haul (not necessarily transatlantic saskatoon) then they would buy something like a classic that they could shove 500 people onto. Less investment too.

Buster the Bear
20th Sep 2005, 21:31
NEW YORK - One obvious corollary of aircraft manufacturer strikes: carriers are forced to modify their flight schedules pending the delivery of said aircraft. And so it is for Dublin-based budget carrier Ryanair Holdings, which has been forced to tweak its flight schedule for both September and October because of a strike at Boeing.

Ryanair had been waiting on seven planes, scheduled to be received in September and October, but the craft are now not expected until November and December. The Irish airline, headed by Michael O'Leary, is conservatively assuming these disruptions will continue until at least the end of October. However, it reckons the financial impact will be immaterial.

Nearly 20,000 Boeing machinists laid down their tools earlier this month, after vetoing the aircraft manufacturer's contract offer. The company's union is dissatisfied with the company's health care and job security proposals, as well as proposals to eliminate new hires from future retiree medical benefits.

The union has stressed that Boeing, led by W. James McNerney Jr., has bounced back from a downturn in business in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, and that workers deserve a share of the pot.

Thus three of Ryanair's 737-200 series aircraft which were awaiting retirement in September will now be cajoled back into service until the end of October.

http://static.zsl.org/images/width150/bear-04-web-305.jpg

FlyLowCost
21st Sep 2005, 07:36
This rumor is fake for one simple reason. It's very hard to heard in the work rest room of ryanair stansted this kind of rumor since FR crew room and office in STN haven't own rest room and staff use the airport public facilities, plus there aren't any managment executive based there (that are the only people who could be really be informed about a so real confidential news) except for the head of Sales.

bear11
21st Sep 2005, 09:28
Straight from the horses mouth from the London press conference yesterday:

“It is a logical extension to look to some long-haul low-cost service in the future as we have all the links in Europe - a comprehensive feeder system - but this certainly won’t be as Ryanair itself, and certainly not within five years time.”

“We have said all along in our business plan that we want to grow the business to 50 million passengers over the next five years and then we could well go further and attempt to double that to 100 million passengers over the next five-year period until 2015, but we are very busy at the moment. We have our aircraft orders and expansion strategy in place and that is more than enough for us to be going on with. The biggest danger would be getting distracted at this point.”

Cruise Alt
21st Sep 2005, 11:35
Don't think FR will use an airbus. It gerates a monitoring report if the taxi speed exceeds 30 kts. :D :D

Flame
21st Sep 2005, 16:42
heres the answer guys.....

Due to the delay in deliveries from boeing (Strike), FR will lease A320's to supplement the fleet till the Boeing strike is over. My guess is that the A320's will be leased short term from a British Isles charter operator now that the season is starting to slow up.

MarkD
21st Sep 2005, 17:48
could be some cash for eirjet then - they have done FR work before. However, I have seen elsewhere the last three 732s may linger a month - any truth?

Oshkosh George
21st Sep 2005, 17:58
However, I have seen elsewhere the last three 732s may linger a month - any truth?

Not even elsewhere,the answer's in this thread if you care to read it!