PDA

View Full Version : Solo with expired class rating?

Mark 1
20th Sep 2005, 13:57
To set the scene; I'm doing a type/tailwheel check-out for an ATPL(UK) who's buying a share of a SEP tailwheel aeroplane.
His SEP class rating has expired about 8 years, so before doing the renewal LST he wants to complete the tailwheel differences training and revise for the test.

My question is - Can I send him solo for a bit of extra practice under the privilege of my FI (unlicensed field).

My interpretation of Article 21(b) is "yes I can"; but as its a relatively unusual situation, I'd like to consult the oracles.

I would, of course, sign off the differences training prior to doing so.

BEagle
20th Sep 2005, 15:05
Why send him solo?

I suggest that you do the work-up training first, including the tailwheel differences training, then the SEP Renewal LST.

Mark 1
20th Sep 2005, 15:22
I accept that its of limited (but some) value, but it doesn't answer the question.

I guess that there's a hornet's nest of allowing lapsed PPLs with current medicals to fly solo willy-nilly.

mad_jock
20th Sep 2005, 16:05
I think the unlicensed field bit will be your biggest problem.

I had the same issue a few years ago and the student wanted to go up and practise while i was doing another lesson.

When the examiner came he started having a go that it was illegal to send the person solo.

He with an amount of joy phoned the caa to report me. It turns out in the old pre JAR system after a period of time there was a requirement for the person to do solo and sometimes also the X-CQ. I am sure BEagle can give you what the old rules actually were.

Basically the person is flying on your license so as long as they have got a valid medical you can sign them out as long as you comply with all the other requirments ie as if you were sending a PPL student solo.

The only other time i have seen it done is when someone fails there JAR class 2 and then get a NPPL medical. While they are waiting for the NPPL issue you can sign them out. But you have to make sure they don't disappear off to some unlicensed strip and if they do anything daft you will get a right rocket.

MJ

BEagle
20th Sep 2005, 16:38
That was the old '26 months to 5 years' lapsed Aircraft Rating PPL test. The candidate had to do at least 1 hour's dual training, then at least one solo cicrcuit and landing under the direction of a FI, then a test with a PPL Examiner consisting of a flight of at least 50 miles to another aerodrome, a circuit and landing at that aerodrome and a return to the point of departure.

More than 5 years lapsed as PIC and it was 'contact the CAA' time!

You could probably send your chappie solo, but would have to supervise him. I don't think that the 'unlicensed aerodrome' would be a factor as he wouldn't be undergoing ab-initio training.

mad_jock
20th Sep 2005, 18:58
Can you do tailwheel differences training from an unlicensed strip?

PSF2J
20th Sep 2005, 23:26
You can send him solo as long as he has a CURRENT medical & it is from a Licensed airfield, period.

P.S. Any "licence training" in this country has to be carried out from a Licensed airfield

BEagle
21st Sep 2005, 07:02
Not so! Check the ANO. The restrictions on flight training from unlicensed aerodromes apply to:

(iii) flights for the purpose of:

(aa) instruction in flying given to any person for the purpose of becoming qualified for the grant of a pilot’s licence or the inclusion of an aircraft rating, a night rating or a night qualification in a licence; or

(bb) a flying test in respect of the grant of a pilot’s licence or the inclusion of an aircraft rating, a night rating or a night qualification in a licence

Flight Instructor Ratings, IMC Ratings, SEP Revalidations or Renewals are therefore permitted, in my view, because they do not fall into para (bb) above. Neither does 'differences training'.

Whopity
21st Sep 2005, 08:23
Yes you can send him solo under Article 26 ANO 2005.

No you do not need a licensed areodrome Article 136 as its not for the purpose of gaining a licence or rating. Revalidation or Renewal is not covered by that article.