PDA

View Full Version : Simon Wiesenthal is dead...

OneWorld22
20th Sep 2005, 13:28
RIP Simon.

You were a brave man. The voice of the Holocaust.

http://www.wiesenthal.com/atf/cf/{DFD2AAC1-2ADE-428A-9263-35234229D8D8}/SW--%20headshot%201.jpg

Binoculars
20th Sep 2005, 13:52
Indeed. And $180 to me in Death Lotto.

Ronnie Biggs, hang on for a couple of months, please?

Curious Pax
20th Sep 2005, 13:52
Wondered how long before someone had the courage to post the news on here. Not because there is the slightest reason not to acknowledge the passing of a brave and dedicated man who did civilization a great service in his post-war work, but because of the risk of the thread degenerating into a spat. I give it 20 posts max.

Back to the topic, much as I admire Wiesenthal and all that he did, I was a little disappointed by the reported remarks of the founder of the Wiesenthal Center in the US which suggested that the whole world went home to forget the Holocaust in 1945. That many did so is indisputable, but to tar the rest of the world in that way is unreasonable I feel, and perhaps unnecessarily divisive. In addition to Wiesenthal there were many others who did not let the world forget, and they all deserve praise for that.

Foss
20th Sep 2005, 14:07
Oneworld22

Amazed isn't the word, impressed, maybe, he kept up his fight for so long, obviously understandable.
Who's going to run things now then?

Pax is right, I won't even open my mouth, not the place for a daft row.
Awards, honours for lifetime's work pending?

Fos

OneWorld22
20th Sep 2005, 14:07
I think you have to forgive his feeling Curious Pax, as he said himself,

I know this war deformed me. I am not the same as I was before the war.

Capt.KAOS
20th Sep 2005, 14:12
"Violence is like a weed--it does not die even in the greatest drought."

A remarkable man. Met him once in the "Hollandsche Schouwburg" around the corner where I lived in AMS.

http://www.jhm.nl/jhm/afbeeldingen/amsterdam/10-hs%2011b105a.jpg

OneWorld22
20th Sep 2005, 14:16
You're lucky to have met him Capt. K.

Speaking of Amsterdam, he said this regarding Anne Frank..

My most hard work, and I am very proud of this case, was to find the man who arrested Anne Frank... the family Frank was like 10,000 other families, but Anne Frank became a symbol of the million murdered children, and I tell it to the father of Anne Frank, the diary of his daughter had a bigger impact than the Nuremberg trial. Why? Because people identified with this child. This was the impact of the Holocaust, this was a family like my family, like your family and so you could understand this.

airship
20th Sep 2005, 14:21
I would tend to go along with his philosophy of trying to make the culprits answer for their actions. In this life, as opposed to another.

Especially when you consider that according to the BBC, BAE was still making payments to Pinochet companies (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4247550.stm) as recently as 2004. Has ignorance become a reasonable defence? :yuk:

frostbite
20th Sep 2005, 15:16
Must admit, I had to chuckle a little as this thread ended up just above 'About bleedin time' thread.

I've put that right now by making this post.

lexxity
20th Sep 2005, 15:50
A brave man indeed. Read his biography and you'll see how much this man did. RIP

Capt.KAOS
20th Sep 2005, 16:47
OW22, Wiesenthal found Silberbauer in 1963 in Vienna, working as a policeman (!). During the investigation we was suspended, but after it was established that he acted "correctly" and on 'Befehl" Silberbauer was released. He died in 1972.

He could not remember the person who betrayed Anne Frank. Julius Dettmann, the person who answered the call, committed suicide shortly after the war. It's still unknown who made the call...

West Coast
20th Sep 2005, 18:23
Never have I known of a man so utterly driven to such a just cause.

con-pilot
20th Sep 2005, 18:34
I am sure that there will be others to carry on with Mr. Wiesenthalís excellent work. May God bless him. The world is a safer place thanks to his efforts.

brockenspectre
20th Sep 2005, 18:43
RIP Simon - it was reportage of your efforts that first brought my young mind to realisation of the holocaust some decades ago. Thank you for that. I pray that your efforts and actions will ensure that no similar event can ever happen in the future. Let this be your legacy.

Grandpa
20th Sep 2005, 19:22
We are lucky here to have Serge Klarsfeld and his wife (who hit German Chancelor and ex-nazi Kiesinger in the face) who have done and still are doing a dedicated work to have the criminal judged and the new generations informed about their misdeeds so that less chances are given for same horror.

pigboat
20th Sep 2005, 21:05
A truly honourable man. RIP Sir.

Grandpa, Serge and Beate Klarsfeld must be getting on in years themselves.

criticalmass
20th Sep 2005, 21:50
As was said of Abraham Lincoln, "Now he belongs to the ages".

RIP

RiskyRossco
20th Sep 2005, 22:04
S.W. did a few things the Allies' Nazi-hunters may not have approved yet he got the job done.
We are only one generation away from amnesia, then ignorance. May Simon's voice endure.

BombayDuck
21st Sep 2005, 03:36
We are only one generation away from amnesia, then ignorance

Not if we can help it.

RIP.