PDA

View Full Version : Metro at Rotterdam

Lon More
19th Sep 2005, 16:44
Swearingen Metro PHDYM (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto2.php?id=485547) of Dynamic Airlines abandoned take-off this morning and went off the runway. All 17 pax + 3 crew on board reported uninjured however the airfield was closed for some time.
The twin was on a charter flight to Birmingham
http://www.limburger.nl/Show_Image/0,4310,2806308,00.jpg

EGNH01
19th Sep 2005, 18:56
Anymore news on this incident? Hope all pax and crew are ok BTW.

denkraai
20th Sep 2005, 11:54
Reported one pax with light neckinjury, rest all fine.Weather CAVOK, light winds.Accident occured after a rejected take-off.Airport was closed for approx. 6 hours.

G-CPTN
20th Sep 2005, 12:04
From the 'photo it looks like the crew raised the u/c too soon . . .

arewenearlythereyet?
20th Sep 2005, 12:13
Uh oh! Spotter analysis from G-CPTN. Standby for intense debate about the minutae of undercarriage resistance to collapse during overruns. :rolleyes: :yuk:

Pointer
20th Sep 2005, 12:46
I heard... (so don't shoot the messenger) that they had nosegear steering failure there fore excursion off the runway.

Pointer :E

That's quite a big drop though for a metro? do they normaly not have Slides ;)

swh
20th Sep 2005, 14:52
I heard "engine fire", possibly an oil leak into the tail pipe.

Dash-7 lover
20th Sep 2005, 16:01
Slides have to be fitted if the door sill is over 6ft above the ground (ie. BAe ATP) - not sure about a Metro height . . . .

Pointer
20th Sep 2005, 19:28
Dash-7 lover about this slide thing...

IT WAS A JOKE..... ;) ;)

oldebloke
20th Sep 2005, 19:42
The veering off the runway is a result of nosewheel steering problems inherrent with this aircraft..At one time one had to disconnect the powered steering once aligned for takeoff...
In the event pf a full failure one was supposed to be able to'Castor' the nose wheel with judicious throttle and brake..
Cheers :ok:

flap15
20th Sep 2005, 19:43
No slides fitted to the Metro. However if it was steering failure was there a fault with the steering system which gives greater authority to the nose wheel? There by resulting in an increased angle of turn that the nose wheel can rotate through. Normaly initiated throught the deprestion of a seperate button.

Nick NOTOC
20th Sep 2005, 20:47
seems they have this type of problem more often, last year it was a citation taxiing into the hangar

westhawk
20th Sep 2005, 21:44
Past Merlin/Metro loss of directional control on the takeoff roll incidents/accidents have been found to be caused by electrical problems with the nose wheel steering system. At least one accident was caused by starting the takeoff with one prop on the start locks. Rudder pressure held it straight until the steer lock button was released, then off to the side they went. By the time the captain recognized the urgency and rejected the takeoff by retarding the throttles and applying the brakes, it was too late to avoid leaving the runway. Apparently it happens very quickly. Until the investigators have interviewed the crew and examined the systems affecting directional control, the nature of the sequence of events leading to this accident will remain unknown, even to them. Once sufficient facts have been gathered, the sequence can be established. Too bad we have to wait so long before the facts become public. The urge to speculate is very strong. As yet, there is nothing for us to go on except past occurances. I am anxious to see some more facts about this case so that the speculation may at least become better informed speculation! Thankfully, it appears no serious injury was inflicted upon the occupants. If anyone sees any statements from investigators released, I trust they will post them here.

Best,

Westhawk

Avman
20th Sep 2005, 21:53
Pointer , I had to laugh my socks off at those that took your quip about slides so seriously! I mean, you even included a smiley for God's sake! :=