PDA

View Full Version : So you think you know why you wear jeans?

CAT1
19th Sep 2005, 16:44
If you're wearing blue jeans right now, blame Devo.

Lead singer Mark Mothersbaugh freely admits the group imbeds subliminal messages in its music -- including telling people to buy jeans because they're "the uniform of the proletariat."

Devo's members also write soundtracks for commercials and TV shows like "Rugrats," and Mothersbaugh admits he has snuck secret messages such as "Question Authority" into those tunes.

He also says it's "entirely possible" he put the words, "sugar is bad for you" into a cereal commercial.

But why? Mothersbaugh claims Devo has been imbedding messages in songs for 30 years because the band likes to be subversive.

Jerricho
19th Sep 2005, 16:47
This from the group that gave us songs like "Jocko Homo" and "Jerkin' back N forward"

Could explain a few things.

SASless
19th Sep 2005, 16:49
Sorryo....started wearing jeans in the late 50's....long before their time.

Besides....anyone who listens to their music is brain dead anyhow....won't work on an inantimate object.:uhoh:

tall and tasty
19th Sep 2005, 17:40
I know why I love my jeans, they are pratical, comfy, great stoen washed, faded ripped in all the right places and cut off to make hot pants.:E

Must say I have not hear of
Lead singer Mark Mothersbaugh freely admits the group imbeds subliminal messages in its music -- including telling people to buy jeans because they're "the uniform of the proletariat

and would not listen to anyone telling me whether I can can't or otherwise wear my jeans or anything else made of jean material that I posses.

But music well I listen to a variety from hard rock to classical and all the bits in between

TnT:p

acbus1
19th Sep 2005, 17:44
Don't listen to pop* music any more. Gave up a few years ago. Video Top of the Pops and such if there's due to be totty on (Girls Aloud, TATU, Cheeky Girls......that sorta thing), then replay in fast forward to said totty with the sound on mute.

Sad, aren't I?

At least I'm not so sad that I actually listen to the noise.....sorry, "music" going on.

*or whatever "trendy", "in" name it's called these days....garage, grunge, R&B, upside down gobbledygook......haven't a clue what it means or what is what and, frankly, don't give a stuff. It's all a nerve jangling racket designed to extract cash from dim teenagers.

Now, when I were a lad............

Onan the Clumsy
19th Sep 2005, 18:08
Video Top of the Pops and such if there's due to be totty on (Girls Aloud, TATU, Cheeky Girls......that sorta thing), then replay in fast forward to said totty with the sound on mute. That's what I used to do with the figure skating :E

...until someone at TV Central got wise to what they were broadcasting :(

con-pilot
19th Sep 2005, 18:21
I wear jeans to show my independence, when my wife tells me to. :(

AMF
19th Sep 2005, 19:45
So Devo (one-hit wonders of that capitalist industry, popular music and now shilling for private industry writing TV jingles) thinks wearing jeans is....um.... "subversive"? Subliminal message to "question authority"?

Wow, heavy stuff indeed, Mark. :rolleyes:

Sigh, it's sadly pathetic how never-relevant has-beens (like Devo) seek to attain relevancy through something controversial, and doubly-so when they don't even seem to realize what they're doing isn't even cheaply controversial. Subliminal messages?.....the last time anyone took those seriously was in the 1950's. And "proletariat"?....he's gotta be kidding! Jeans?...an invention of the 1800s.

My god, what a fossil!

tilewood
19th Sep 2005, 21:13
I think jeans are the height of 'cool'.

After all your average 55 year old Essex man's must haves include, tight jeans, cuban heels, a silk shirt open to the waist stretched across a hairy beer belly.

The whole ensemble rounded off with a gold bracelet, necklace,
and sovereign ring, and the balding pate enhanced by a
greying ponytail.

Can't stop now I am going out and I can't find my jeans! :cool:

pigboat
20th Sep 2005, 00:19
Who's Devo???:confused:

RiskyRossco
20th Sep 2005, 00:47
Classic blue denim is the only thing I'll wear brown shoes with, as well as brown suede jacket. White T-shirt de rigeuer. Of course.

Jerricho
20th Sep 2005, 00:58
And you call yourself a Music Quizmaster Piggy.

Tut-tut!

:p :p

RJM
20th Sep 2005, 02:56
Speaking of televised totty, the TV show 'Aerobics Oz Style' used to air in Australia every morning at about 6am.

Nothing for anyone cohabiting to get excited about, but for those waking up to an empty bed, the sight of the lithe ladies cavorting about Sydney Harbor and other scenic spots was a real heart-starter for the day!

Same approximate content as Yoga with Swami Sarisvati, but a little more upbeat.

Buster Hyman
20th Sep 2005, 02:58
would not listen to anyone telling me whether I can can't or otherwise wear my jeans or anything else
:ugh: ...errr...I think that's why its called subliminal TnT.

It's a pity they didn't think to put "Buy more Devo records" into their own songs!

pigboat
20th Sep 2005, 03:10
Assistant quizmaster. Besides I know who The Swinging Bluejeans were. :D

XXTSGR
20th Sep 2005, 06:27
I wear jeans not because they told me to, but because I like jeans.

Have never heard of the band or the bloke and never listen to their music anyway so a subliminal message wouldn't really work. I suspect a PR person trying to hike the name up a bit.

Curious Pax
20th Sep 2005, 06:36
I think their Rugrats tunes are awesome!! Not so sure about the earlier grown up stuff though.......

acbus1
20th Sep 2005, 06:53
Who needs subliminal messaging when the simple mention of the possibility gets you free exposure on Proon?

CAT1
20th Sep 2005, 07:04
Ah but how do you know that next time you go shopping you won't buy something I have planted subliminally in my post?

Navajo8686
20th Sep 2005, 07:23
Anyway I said that I was rebelling against Devo and their 'Wear Jeans' message. The police officer said 'You're nicked for indecency'.

And that m'Lord is the case for the defence

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Sep 2005, 07:26
Jeans?:yuk: Uncomfortable trendy rubbish...:* :mad:

Rugby shorts for comfort and a pair of old loose fitting khakis if a gun is held to one's head and GF gets nasty about being seen with something barefoot and in rugby shorts.:ok:

henry crun
20th Sep 2005, 08:01
Commonsense at last, thank you Solid Rust Twotter.

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Sep 2005, 08:32
You is a good man, brother....

tony draper
20th Sep 2005, 08:58
Never liked jeans one does not wear em,ok if yer got ditches to dig or summat.
:rolleyes: