PDA

View Full Version : Ag-pilots ACE Rating.

Lowlevldevl
19th Sep 2005, 13:03
Well people, thanks for your responses. I thought they were well thought out and considered. Unfortunately I've been asked to remove my post as it apparently breaches board confidentiality. Comes as a bit of a surprise as this idea was being openly discussed at the last national convention. I personally think we need to look at a multi levelled attack on our insurance problems. I'd like to see more of a focus on Initial training, then Industry safety courses and finally the safety culture which is what this ACE proposal appears to be trying to address. Thanks for your thoughts. Sorry I had to pull my original post. Fly Safe, Don Blanch

Turboman
19th Sep 2005, 21:43
Just tried it on myself LLD. At an index of 20 I'm out. I know that statistics show that experience does seem to matter too much in accidents but I would argue that in some cases it does, especially drift incidents.

I'm an example against the statistics. In the first 5 years, 2 wires, 2 drifts, 1 landing. In the second 5 years nothing, yet.

I think this is a path we should go down AFTER we've got a good, on going program of compulsory safety courses. The ACE system puts the onus on the pilot alone. The operators/industry need to equip the pilots properly first.

catseye
20th Sep 2005, 01:05
Devil,

I believe you need to rate the company that sits behind the last line of defence as well. Some things to consider are

- does the company employ staff or only contract. Influences the culture of the place
- what's it's financial position? is it on the bones of it's @rse
- type of ops super or night cotton
- support equipment. still loading with the oily blitz and fuelling from recycled drums or got a signed off tank on the acco?
- common discussion/pilots meeting at the start of the season?
-who is running the show?
- is it part of a larger operation vis do they sell super and apply it or just provide the service?
- is it run from a fixed base with some facilities or the back of the chief pilot's ute.
- ops manual or learning by osmosis??

Another organisation are working on a model looking at similar inputs to determine who needs watching and who doesn't

Know someone who can discuss further offline if you want.

Cheers

The Eye.

catseye
21st Sep 2005, 01:45
devl,

check your email

the Eye