PDA

View Full Version : Backward Step at Goodwood Revival

EESDL
19th Sep 2005, 10:26
The heli-arrangements at Goodwood Revival were the most in-efficient, inconvenient and inadequate that I've seen anywhere!

IMHO, a giant backwards step has been made with the organisation and control. From what I witnessed on the three days, numbers of visiting helis were down by quite a margin but slots landing slots were harder to come by - go figure!

Charges increased - service deminished

Letter's in the post.

Three Blades
19th Sep 2005, 11:39
...numbers of visiting helis were down by quite a margin ....

Perhaps the change in price for 4 up in a single from £15 to £140 (4x £35) had some effect !
Charging per person is fine if all you want is a series of corporate shuttle types but it hardly encourages all the lesser mortals to come and join the party.
It certainly was part of the reason I did not bother to go this year.

Out of interest, what were the 'diminished services' ?

EESDL
19th Sep 2005, 11:41
despite numerous calls, waiting over an hour for transport from the park for one - and no they weren't busy.

uncle ian
19th Sep 2005, 12:55
Never having been before , I called in to drop off a couple of passengers on friday evening.

Air traffic and groung handlers couldn't have been more helpful. There was an old jag waiting as a courtesy car for my pax which I thought was a great touch for such an event.

Air traffic had the sense to let me depart non-standard rather than wait in line with the departing fixed wing traffic.

Well done Goodwood!

Three Blades
19th Sep 2005, 13:03
So the extra cash goes to provide a car from a/c to the show. That must be about 300 meters !

goose boy
19th Sep 2005, 17:03
What happened to the champagne reception as told

EESDL
19th Sep 2005, 17:32
I'm not suggesting that everyone had a bad experience - just a shame that the necessary consistancy wasn't there - gives a v amateurish appearance to pax.

I was told that someone at the Belgrano said that there was to be no ground movements during display flying. ie, no taxis to/from park, despite being crowd side and well away from display line. This is an old nut that's been cracked before and I thought had been put to bed in the 90s.
CAAs concern was the distraction of the display pilots!
All display pilots I have spoken too laughed at the thought of having the capacity to let a car driving crowd side distract them - it is quite apparent that the CAA are trying to instigate rulings without reason - never, surely not?
Heaven's know how pilots cope at larger displays...............

Maninknow
8th Oct 2005, 17:03
The Jag Broke Down 3 times. The Hillman twice, my passengers waited 15 minutes for transport and were then put in the Airfield Fire Land Rover and ferried the 300 odd metre, would have been 20 rtimes quicker to walk but were not allowed too.

Anybody else see the S76 held in the Hover waiting for the Marshaller to do his job, he appeared to take one look at the size of the 76 and promptly turned and did a runner (literally) 76 pilot was held in the hover for a good 5 minutes and then had to find his own space and park. Strange One.

Thats just a bit of what I saw.

SASless
8th Oct 2005, 17:17
CAAs concern was the distraction of the display pilots! :uhoh:

One should not throw stones at Glass Houses......