PDA

View Full Version : Weather avoidance--China

AA717driver
18th Sep 2005, 22:46
I've only been to China once and had good weather. With the airways in the Eastern part of the country being bordered by restricted airspace, how do they handle thunderstorm avoidance?

Thanks in advance.TC

NoseGear
19th Sep 2005, 00:46
In a word, they don't, you do! As you said, most of the airspace is designated for the military and they will quite happily refuse you permission to deviate to avoid wx. The best way is to ask for left or right if that is an option, and let them figure out which way works for them. If you have to, TELL them you ARE deviating. They might try and deny you, but just do it anyway. You may even notice if there is a bit of traffic around and everyone is trying to deviate, that it goes very quiet on the mic! Its like a CB pops, everyone requesting and the guy on the ground just shuts up! Its almost like quiet acknowledgement of you do what you like, but I can't/won't say anything, so I can't get in trouble.

If your up around Beijing, its surrounded by military installations, so you'll find it more difficult, but on the airways, it is generally not too bad.

Nosey

AA717driver
19th Sep 2005, 01:11
Thanks, nosey. You never know when they will get testy and decide to trigger an international incident. ;) TC

typhoonpilot
19th Sep 2005, 12:18
Hey TC:

I've never had any trouble deviating around weather in southern China. We fly one route across the south of China from northern Myanmar over Kunming and then across Hong Kong. I have deviated a few times and it wasn't met with any resistance from ATC.

TP

AA717driver
19th Sep 2005, 19:42
Thanks, Typhoon. I'll let you know how it went. If you'll be in HKG on the 27-28th PM me. I'll buy.TC

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
20th Sep 2005, 02:04
Hi,

No real probs deviating from track except on the airways dotmi to shanghai where due to taiwan when heading north you only get about 5nm right so its better to head to the left.

Due to poor ATC it is usually advisable to carry extra fuel as orbits and very early descents are the order of the day.

When entering on easterly tracks into Kunming you usualy have your hands full with Kolkata 120.10 /. Dhaka 125.7 and Yangoon 126.75.. plus some HF work.

Have fun its a great place.

Wooblah.

Dan Winterland
20th Sep 2005, 15:02
The edge of the airway from Dotmi to Shanghai is only 10km from the centreline to the east as opposed to 20km to the west. Taiwan owns some of the islands immediately off the coast and they have missile batteries on them!

I rarely find wx avoidance a problem in China.

hart744
21st Sep 2005, 00:31
I have operated to Beijing a few times and I have not experienced any deviation due to CB. I have experienced a go-around in a sand storm. It is worse than flying in the snow. The pollution is so bad in Beijing. Finding the runway is always fun.