PDA

View Full Version : Worst jobs in the world.

Rollingthunder
18th Sep 2005, 22:33
Well, the worst ones you've done.

Had one that often involved unloading boxcars of 100 lb sacks of chemicals by hand , outside in -30 deg weather, on my own.

Another involved grinding scrap plastic into pellets - permanent midnight shift.

Baldrick did a show on worst jobs - he reckoned the worst was tanning hides, I think.

Foodbomber
18th Sep 2005, 23:51
Got in one tuesday after a bank holiday, to be met by a familar smell in a corridor. One of our 18cuft Freezers had broken down and all the contents had defrosted. Ergo lots of bags of homogenised faecal material had to be yellow bagged for incineration.
Unfortunately the Company who handled our clinical waste didnt arrive and some bags split open, so we had to remove and triple bag everything.
Then ended up having to hosepipe out the 3cubic meter bins. The effluent of this was last seen heading down to Kensington High Street, whence we quickly decided to make ourselves scarce!
Im sure the local council was glad when we finally moved!

Onan the Clumsy
19th Sep 2005, 00:13
Ergo lots of bags of homogenised faecal material had to be yellow bagged for incineration. I didn't know McDonalds closed over Bank Holidays :confused:

As I See It
19th Sep 2005, 00:46
Nevre ceases to amaze me what people will stuff down an aircraft bog, especially supersonic Airbus dunny's.

I have this saying 'I don't do bogs' however I am more than happy to certify the work of a contractor tasked with such duties.

Whatever is put down the fwd toilet on an A320 at some stage has to make contact with a right angle in the pipe where it goes over the wing box, this area as a result gets impacted with waste and has a tendancy for blockage. this one particular time we had an aircraft that reportedly had a stong smell of urine during the flight. this went on for a week or so and the aircraft was finally brought into the shed for rectification.

Well the pipe, midway between the fwd bog and the wingbox, had separated with the result that any and all waste made its way into the sidewall and belly of the a/c, what a stench. Contractors duly assigned with the task of gaining acces and replacing damaged insulation and to find out why the pipe had separated.

The reason for the separation was a blockage at the afforementioned right angle in the pipe. Various technique were used to removed the blockage and finally a strong welding wire contraption was commissioned and the blockage freed, a pair of very large shitty Y fronts, some dirty pi$$ed up punter has sh!t himself and disposed of them down the bog.

So whilst not 'soiling' my hands directly, I did have to sign it off, does that count?

pigboat
19th Sep 2005, 01:22
Stacking salt cod fish in the aft hold of a banks schooner. Me and my friend were about 10 or 12 at the time, and were scrawny enough we could work in a place too small for an adult. The child labour inspector would have a sh!t hemorrhage nowadays.

RT, remember the old Nordair gate in Montreal, Gate 6?? One sunny morning one of the dunny police was servicing a QB BAC1-11 next door when a Nordair 737 pulled in. He thought he'd connected up the hose to the honey cart properly, but what with eyeing the brand new 737 and all...The connection must have been loose because when he pulled the lever to empty the holding tank, all the fluid and the frammis rained down on his head. :ooh:

Onan the Clumsy
19th Sep 2005, 01:29
This is what I was looking for (http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/W/worstjobs/)

Rollingthunder
19th Sep 2005, 05:34
Yep, lots of showers due to slight mis-connections. Then lots of showers to follow. Had one idiot roll a honey-wagon once coming around a corner. Very difficult thing to do as they are very low COG.

Flyrr100
8th Oct 2005, 18:18
I was in between jobs in the early 80s. A friend got me a part time gig at British Aerospace in Weybridge. I had to go to the resturants and collect the bins of swill. We'd load the large bins, filled with lunch, desert, tea, pop, and whatever else the large population of the plant didn't eat, into an old Transit and deliver it to a farm a few miles away.
Then return and collect all the trash from the offices and deliver that to the dump. I have some great old pictures and blueprints of Concorde that I liberated from the incinirator.
Fun job for a week or two.

handysnaks
8th Oct 2005, 18:51
Worked in Derby Area Health Authority Laundry in the 70's.
8 hrs a day of loading sheets and operating gowns into a big hopper, with the added bonus of blood, s**t, scalpels and various other items found in your average hospital.:yuk:

Wholigan
8th Oct 2005, 19:26
According to derek and Clive:
the worst job I ever had was picking lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield's --------------

redsnail
8th Oct 2005, 20:43
A couple of jobs spring to mind.

When saving up the cash for this flying lark I was a high school cleaner. Lucky me scored the Junior high dunnies. Gees.. totally gross. The smell, the soggy old ciggy butts... Need I say more?

Another job I did whilst earning the cash to fly was an attitude adjuster aka bouncer. Occassionally you'd get spew duties. Oh gees... :yuk: Otherwise it was a good job.

My full time job prior to being a pilot was a lab tech at uni. The grossest job I ever had to do was to collect deceased cats and dogs from the oound and take them to work to turn them into skeletons.

There were a few of us on the roof of the science block working away at the said cats and dogs. Every now and then one of us would go a darker shade of green/grey and sprint to the dunnies to :yuk: our guts up. That was the absolute pits.

As an aspiring commercial pilot flooging around in the Kimberley we'd fly tourists. The turbulence took some getting used to. We were because we flew several hours a day but our poor passengers didn't have that luxury. Some folks could get it all in the bag, some couldn't. Guess who had to clean out the aircraft.... Yup... us....

flugholm
8th Oct 2005, 21:23
So no-one's mentioned http://www.bad-aviationjobs.com yet?

The worst one I've done: The very very first paid job in my life! As a schoolkid. Loading a huge Dutch truck with used truck tires at the local barracks, entirely by hand, two days, twelve hours each, at minus 15 degrees centigrade. Then having the Dutch truck drivers tell me that they unfortunately had no money with them and that this was some oversight of their company and that I should write a letter to their company. Then having to fight for my money -- some money at least ! -- for over half a year... :yuk:

Well, this was a great start into my working life! (And working with the Dutch...) :E

G-CPTN
9th Oct 2005, 00:00
As a student, I sought a vacation job. A friend promised me an introduction to a large reservoir construction site (where he worked). The site manager 'interviewed' me asking what I was prepared to do, and like a fool I said 'anything'. "OK, take this sickle and cut the heads off the thistles on those topsoil heaps to prevent them seeding."
There was maybe 100 acres of soil-heaps . . .
Single-handed . . .
Starting at 6am . . .
In cold Northern, wet and windy weather . . .
I was not impressed.
(After three days I got a reprieve when the soil-shear-test assistant was sacked and I inherited a job driving an ancient Land Rover along a 100ft high clay-core dam dodging giant earth movers and scrapers - much better! - I even got to share potcheen with the Paddies.)

Sammie_nl
9th Oct 2005, 08:09
I've been a cold caller :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Its bad for the nerves and self respect

TheFlyingSquirrel
9th Oct 2005, 08:19
Hey As I see it - was his name stiched in them ?

Evening Star
9th Oct 2005, 08:44
Called in to discover the reason for a strong toilet stench in a new NBC proofed ops room at an RAF base. Tracked down to a blocked breather pipe from a sewage holding tank, but not after having to make close personal acquaintance with aforesaid, partially full of RAF waste, tank. :ugh: :yuk: x 10n+1

Applied for a job at the University soon after that. Even the most personally unhygenic student cannot beat that (altough a few give it their best try...). :ugh:

+'ve ROC
9th Oct 2005, 11:02
One summer from Uni I worked at for the local park rangers - lawncutting, pruning strimming etc.

Have you ever strimmed through dog sh1t on a hot day?

:yuk:

A mate of mine worked for a bird sanctuary doing the same thing....strimmed through a nest full of chicks :(

Strimming is not a good job!

Ultralights
10th Oct 2005, 10:51
i sadly remember spending a day sanding shite from the INSIDE of a 747 toilet tank to repair a leak..

no apprentices in that day :(

Onan the Clumsy
10th Oct 2005, 12:25
I think being a mod and having to read something like "The Hampster Wheel" has to qualify :( :{