PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair and Fat People

Saintsman
18th Sep 2005, 20:56
My wife has booked a girlie weekend to Barcelona. One of her party is rather large. Will Ryanair make a fuss and insist she books two seats or will they allow her to squeeze into one? Obviously it'll be cheaper to buy now rather than on the day, plus they don't want any embarrassment at the airport.

As it is my wife doesn't want to sit next to her. At least with no seat allocations she will have a chance to get her own seat!

rotated
18th Sep 2005, 23:38
As it is my wife doesn't want to sit next to her.
Errrm, then what makes you think anyone else would either??? Sorry, but I see this as a matter of personal decency for your wife's fat friend (lovely though she may be); if she is large enough to be a discomfort to the peole she knows, then she will certainly p!ss off anyone else too. If she can't fit one seat she needs to pay for two. It boils down to courtesy and safety, and others should not be penalized for her "handicap".

Sorry if I appear to be ranting; I have been parked next to too many porkers in the sky who made it obvious that their size, and in some cases smell, was a burden they fully expected to be borne by all those around them. :{ :yuk: :hmm:

brain fade
19th Sep 2005, 00:39
Check the ****** in as 'Freight'.
Deny her Pies.

There\'s few worse things than a shorthaul flight next to a huge sweaty, fat , large lump-o-lard pax. Except perhaps a longhaul fight.

My advice?

Eat a bit less food, for a few decades. You\'ll feel better.

NO CHARGE.

Howard Hughes
19th Sep 2005, 01:39
Fly with an airline that has business class, even better first, if you're gonna pay double, you might as well get some value for money....:ok:

Jerricho
19th Sep 2005, 04:56
Eat a bit less food, for a few decades. You\'ll feel better.

Wow. I hope you never develop a glandular problem.

HedgePig
19th Sep 2005, 06:54
Methinks it izznt glandular...

Just landed from France, La Rochelle more specifically, where there are no fat folk, not even one...so much so that everyone in our party was commenting frequently on it...

Now go to Miami, clearly humans with a whole different set of 'glands'...

SUPERSIZE ME!!

HP...

eal401
19th Sep 2005, 06:55
Gosh, what wonderfully tolerant people there are in the aviation industry!!

(And no I am not fat!!)

Jerricho
19th Sep 2005, 06:57
...........just big boned.

http://zitoune.free.fr/ImagesSouthPark/cartman.gif

The Otter's Pocket
19th Sep 2005, 10:18
Funnily enough I have just returned from the Alps and we commented that the larger people all spoke suprisingly good English.
I had the same discussion with my girlfriend regarding the glandular thing, I must admit that I had not heard of the arguements that she has put forward.
I have never seen a fat hungry person, you don't see malnurished fat people. I am bored by peoples excuses and justifications.
I am open to other peoples suggestions, if anybody has a link to a website that could allow me to gain a greater understanding of the problem I would be most greatful.

Prehaps over a certain, Body Mass Index, or size/build to weight ratio then the people could be charged for "Excess Baggage".
Within several catagories, eg, spare tyre, extra keg or a one pack.

I don't disagree that it is a very sad problem for some individuals, however a large proportion are simply fat and are making excuses, it is almost a mental disorder.

"I am not fat...I am just big boned".
"Well you have got a big bone in your Fat Ass".

Telstar
19th Sep 2005, 10:25
I heard a story about one of the low costs that a Fat Pax was tld at check in that due to their size they woud have to buy another seat. When the pax got on the plane the seat they had bought was ten rows back!:p :p

Another on the lst of excuses is Water retention. More like Cake retention!

Parapunter
19th Sep 2005, 10:29
Remember, it's yer hands, not yer glands.:rolleyes:

Gouabafla
19th Sep 2005, 10:30
This has to be a record. A thread with Ryanair in the title, and it isn't the airline that is getting insulted!

eal401
19th Sep 2005, 11:28
it isn't the airline that is getting insulted
No, but at least we know who the school bullies were.

brain fade
19th Sep 2005, 12:46
The CAA has this to say about 'weight'.

"Eat less food"

Kind of hard to argue with.:rolleyes:

Stockpicker
19th Sep 2005, 12:49
Hmmm - in my own case "drink less booze" would be more apt - caesar salad with a large glass of white wine anyone? Dread to think what life would be like without the gym.

:{

lexxity
19th Sep 2005, 12:50
Glandular problem is just an excuse! I should know! I've got one and I'm not overweight.

I heard a story about one of the low costs that a Fat Pax was tld at check in that due to their size they woud have to buy another seat.

Southwest I bet.

CWL2YOW
19th Sep 2005, 17:22
Yes - Southwest. I think it was the show "Airport" where Southwest groundstaff asked a 'passenger of size' to demonstrate that they could fit in a single seat else he'd have to purchase another.

Farrell
19th Sep 2005, 17:40
......sigh!..:rolleyes:

con-pilot
19th Sep 2005, 18:02
Yes it is Southwest Airlines. And thank god. I sincerely hope other airlines will follow their example. I am big boned, 6í 5Ē and 220 lbs. But I donít have a bunch of fat spilling over into the seats next to me.

If a person chooses to be fat I have no problem with that, but donít act surprised if other people do not want you spilling over from your seat into theirs.

planepsycho
19th Sep 2005, 18:06
I'm impressed with the frankness here.....in the politically correct world...one can't call anyone "fat" these days without being offensive, they're "obese" or "overweight"...... but geez, if someone has to turn sideways to walk through a doorway, and they need one chair for each butt cheek, they obviously aren't anorexic.:hmm:

Farrell
19th Sep 2005, 18:26
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/quartermilefinal/weebl4.jpg

Shiny Side Up
19th Sep 2005, 19:04
Reminds me of a flight from NY to LA some time back. The pax next to me was so large, I was practically sitting on his right arse cheek - it was oozing under the arm rest onto my seat. Thanks to the CC I didnt have to put up with it for too long though. Agree with whats been said, fatties should cough up for an extra seat for everyones sake including theirs. No exit rows either.

Shiny.

LJ.543
19th Sep 2005, 19:07
As my poor grey haired mother used to say. "You will only get fat if your cakehole is bigger than your a*sehole"

HOGE
19th Sep 2005, 19:32
Speaking as someone who has just had to buy 36" waist jeans, (having been 32" waist since about 1985 and then kidding myself with elasticated waistbands)), I have realised it's time to get on my bike and lose it. (Helped by the recent petrol rises!)
How do some people go past 16-17-18-19-20 stone and not think... hmm, maybe time for no sugar in my coffee and only 3 donuts for breakfast?)

Maybe it is glandular.........:hmm:

Shiny Side Up
19th Sep 2005, 20:16
nah, nothing to do with glands. People here in the states have this strange obsession with food. Watch them at a restaurant ramming food down, its hilarious. You would think they were all starved as children. What really gets me is the fat parents who feed their kids all sorts of crap and dont seem to mind how obese their child is. Sad to see it...

Shiny

RaraAvis
19th Sep 2005, 23:19
Yup, what has always amazed me is the enormous size of portions in most restaurants in the States, and I don't mean fast-food or similar c:mad: p

It's really quite simple, if you eat 5000 calories three times a day, you will get fat...:hmm:

flowman
20th Sep 2005, 00:43
Its hardly penalising to buy two seats when they only cost one cent each!

Why don't they charge excess baggage rates, for example allowance for Pax + baggage = 100kgs. Any extra means you pay. Now that would make sense.

I get a bit peed off when my 7 stone daughter has to pay excess baggage for being 4 kg over with her luggage, but the twenty stone [email protected] with the 10kg bag gets away with it.

XXTSGR
20th Sep 2005, 06:36
I have overheard people claiming that their obesity was "genetic" because their parents were also "large" (i.e. FAT), as they stuffed mountains of processed, fried food down their children's throats.

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Of course, they've tried to lose weight - they've tried absolutely EVERYTHING (except diet and exercise). In the meantime, not content with jeopardising their own heart, they're trying their hardest to kill their own children slowly, in a way that will take many, many years of breathlessness and discomfort.

Yes, I AM overweight. But I am not obese. And I eat sensibly, and take exercise. So there.

HedgePig
20th Sep 2005, 06:49
Despite being a controversial procedure, how is it that the gastric bypass surgery (cutting out a large portion of the stomach) has a 100% success rate if the patient survives the procedure? (85% failure rate)

If there is less food going into the tummy (smaller tummy) the person loses weight! Why not just start by putting less nosh in the tummy to start? The procedure is bold evidence of this.

Why must it take an OP? They don't remove any glands!

HP!

Thats meant to read an 85% success rate in procedure. Risky stuff.

LGB
20th Sep 2005, 10:57
Gaining weight is not a fault of the body, it is a property which allows us to store energy when times are good with food in abundance, so that we can endure a crisis of scarce food.

But this was all before refrigerators, supermarkets and deep fried food.

When food is never scarce, then this property of the body makes most people fat - unless they are eating in a way to prevent this from happening.

My philosophy is eat maximum two times a day, like breakfast/dinner or lunch/dinner. That way the body will have to use the energy taken instead of putting it in storage. If I start eating three times a day, I start gaining weight quite quickly.

Nutrition experts say you have to eat many (small) meals instead of a few large ones. Based on swags or scientific evidence? If the lie is repeated over and over to a sufficient level, it becomes "true". 'It's important to keep up digestion, to keep burning calories", yeah, but if you keep shoveling food in all day long, there's more to burn!

'You have to eat breakfast, it is not healthy to start the day without energy'. Really? I have often taken a 1Ĺ hour swim in the morning before breakfast, to clean out what would otherwise go 'into storage'. So where did that energy come from?

Then all this atkinson krap! Energy is in fat and carbonhydrate, eat an unhealthy diet and loose weight, yeeeah right, you can also smoke, do coke or take other poisons to loose weight.

Sorry, did I get to serious in this forum?

newswatcher
20th Sep 2005, 11:33
Did you know there was an organisation in the States called National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance(NAAFA)?

They published an article on charging fat people for extra seats 3 years ago here (http://www.naafa.org/Convention2002/airlines.html)

Among the questions put to Southwest and American, I particularly liked - "If two fat passengers fly together, can they buy three seats between them?"
;)

Oh, and the answer was "No"!

Rushton
20th Sep 2005, 11:47
Easy to lose weight - do as i do - get some sort of food poisoning (easy as i cook for myself), then, hurrah, 7 days later 1 stone disappeared.