PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive 'pay as you go'?

terryJones
18th Sep 2005, 12:48
5 or 6 weeks ago, if you recall, I posted re my mobile phone, and unlocking same. It was with '3' , but I was in an area not served with all of their services, plus I already had a mobile phone on Vodaphone.
Anyway, the final straw yesterday afternoon. I had made a purchase via Ebay, and was wending my way round the wilds of North Peterborough to pick up my swag. I took the sellers number with me and rang, (correction, TRIED to ring) on my new phone.
You need to top up, it said. Well, the phone came with 50 mins of voice calls anytime, and only having used it 5 times from new I wondered how. Mrs J was with me fortunately, so the call was made on her mobile.
This morning I looked for a 'phone number for '3' to query the missing minutes.
It seems that with '3' you only have 30 days to use your credit, unlike my Vodaphone one, which was last topped up last Christmas. A mobile phone to me is an emergency tool, not for texting, picture taking, or playing silly games. I have a computer for that.
The long and the short of it, Whittlesey Sunday Market, and for the princely sum of 10 I now have my remaining Vodaphone credit, and no hassle with '3'
Be warned, if you want a pay as you go service, DO NOT get '3'

frostbite
18th Sep 2005, 14:46
That is outrageous! I would be inclined to complain to Ofcom - it might be legal but a moan might bring results (don't think 3 are on their favourites list).

My PAYG on T-mobile requires a chargeable use every 180 days, don't mind that.

corky83
18th Sep 2005, 16:51
I've seen this before with our telecom provider over here. Their PAYG mobiles have to be topped up every so many days (I think you get three months), or the number will be frozen (except for 112/999 calls), even if you have credit left. However, you don't lose the credit and you get the top-up amount plus the residual credit from before to use once you have topped up. A lot of people got caught by this when they first introduced PAYG to our little rock, and were all very mad because they thought that they'd lost their money.

The simple answer is to use your phone a little more often. Maybe just call your home phone for a few seconds or send someone a text every now and then to keep your phone active. I understand the argument that you shouldn't have to do it, but at the end of the day they are providing the service for you and they want some payment for it - not unreasonable in my view.

jayteeto
18th Sep 2005, 18:42
I have a contract 3 phone and an O2 PAYG for emergencies. I didnt buy a 3 PAYG because of the one month rule. Thing is..... they made the rule very clear in their paperwork so I went elsewhere. Why did you get it in the first place if you didnt like the tariff??????????

spekesoftly
18th Sep 2005, 19:21
but at the end of the day they are providing the service for you and they want some payment for it

But surely with an 'in credit' PAYG phone you have paid for the service, and in advance!

terryJones
18th Sep 2005, 20:11
Corky.
Not to keep it active, I have to do that with my Vodaphone. ALL your credit dissapears in 30 days, used or not.

Jayteeto
'Twas a gift, so I had no say in the matter.

1DC
18th Sep 2005, 21:49
I bought a phone and have a deal where i only pay if i use the phone, no line rental.Just got the phone bill and i owe thirty pence this month..

BahrainLad
18th Sep 2005, 22:15
Again, the phone operators are attempting to recoup the cost of subsidising the handset, and therefore put limits on how long PAYG credit is valid for in order to make people buy a minimum amount of credit over a time period to go someway towards doing this...

Here in the US, once you top up with a certain amount of credit (i.e. break through a threshold) then the validity extends to a year rather than 30 days - so it may make sense to buy a big (50 worth for example) wodge now to get 365-day validity, rather than having to keep buying 10 to extend month-by-month

eal401
19th Sep 2005, 07:16
It seems that with '3' you only have 30 days to use your credit
Which is made very clear in advance! Credit validity included.

It was one of the reasons I didn't buy a 3 phone! (The other two being that the phones and service have a reputation for being shite!)

BRL
19th Sep 2005, 08:04
I am on contract and made a call from the Isle of Wight last year. Got the bill through and had it down as an international call.

It couldn't be, I hadn't been abroad that month so I phoned them and they said the IOW is classed as an international call. :confused:

Echo Zulu Yankee
19th Sep 2005, 09:23
Back in the day when PAYG was first released ALL the networks had credit validity, once it caught on they scrapped the system.

So it looks like its used when a company is just starting (say first 3 years) its PAYG service, perhaps for customer retention? To avoid people buying phones and not using them ;)