PDA

View Full Version : Coriolis flannel

MBJ
26th Jan 2001, 12:04
OK I've been away from Prune for a while and haven't had the time (or frankly, the inclination) to read all Lu Zuckerman's posts. However, if anyone out there thinks Coriolis effect has anything to do with the 'conservation of angular momentum' they have been reading the wrong books. Lu seems to imply that they are the same thing, thus undermining any other authoratitive-sounding statement that he makes.

There seems to be a lot of navel gazing going on about P of F here that may deserve an airing for those who are gripped by it, but why not in a "Training" forum?

Incidently I feel that piloting anything, but particularly helicopters, is as much an art form as a science. Learn/ teach to fly by flying - not Half Rho V squared flannel.

I'll get back into my bunker now..

[This message has been edited by MBJ (edited 26 January 2001).]

Attila
26th Jan 2001, 19:32
MBJ, I'm on your side. Are you going to Howards' next house-warming???

Obviously you have opened a can of worms here, but I feel that most of our American cousins are somewhat verbose when it comes to commenting on any aviation subject, almost as if they invented it. That is just my humble opinion, however.

One merely has to look at the number of posts made by the various members of the PPrune network to form ones own opinion.

[This message has been edited by Attila (edited 26 January 2001).]

MBJ
26th Jan 2001, 22:50
Far too narrow a definition Mr Zuckerman, but I shan't fall into the trap of arguing about it here. Suggest you read up on it somewhere other than the Rotorcraft Manual.

Attilla: Yes I am, Al Hamdhu Lillah. C U there? Not that I'll know who you are! No doubt all will be revealed?

Attila
27th Jan 2001, 07:05
It would appear that you have an uncanny knack of getting up peoples' noses, Mr Z. Perhaps that is an American failing, but you were born with that, so we won't penalise you too much. As you so rightly say, "people disagreeing with people", but you must agree with me, that you are more verbose than most, after all, look at the number of your own postings. I would even go as far as saying that you are too outspoken on most subjects, and you seem to revel in your own opinions, whether right or wrong.

MBJ: insh'allah I shall attend, and all Will be revealed!! In the meantime.........

offshoreigor
27th Jan 2001, 07:41
Lu:

You said:

"but the Brits have a really neat way of irritating Americans in that they make a positive statement and then ask you if their point of view is correct. The Americans find this off-putting and if the American disagrees with what the Brit said, an argument ensues."

You have to understand that the "Brits" as you refer to my commonwealth brothers, have something that 99% of you "Yanks" will never have, a sense of humour.

I think if you read they're threads more carefully, you will find that there is a genuine knowledge of the subject at hand, balanced with a keen wit which seems to go over your head at about FL350.

All personal attacks aside Lu, you have to learn the concept of restraint when it comes to replying to these posts. You need to realize when you are crossing the line from contributing to a subject or just feeding your own ego. I think this is the common feeling here when you get involved in a post.

Cheers, OffshoreIgor http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

PS. Less is more in this case.

PPS. By the way Lu, I hear they give an extra 30 points on the Immigration Score if you have a sense of humour and subtract 100 points if you don't. Could this be the reason for the long wait? Hmmmm, interesting.

[This message has been edited by offshoreigor (edited 27 January 2001).]

Attila
27th Jan 2001, 08:05
Offshoreigor, You are so right in your comments regarding feeding ones' ego and common feelings.

I applaud your comment of "less is more" and perhaps Mr Z could learn a lesson from this, although I doubt it.

Yet again, to use Mr Z's phrase, we deviate from the original thread - shock, horror!!!

Finally, isn't this what all these forums are about, people disagreeing with people, and perhaps not losing their sense of humour in the long run?????

heedm
27th Jan 2001, 19:34
The direction and magnitude of any Coriolis Force or acceleration can be derived using conservation of angular momentum.

This is from Physics, not from a Rotorcraft handbook.

That does not mean that they are the same, in fact there is much more to conservation of angular momentum than just being able to use it to derive the coriolis force.

If you are interested I will be happy to write out a mathematical proof of this. Shipping charges may apply. ;-)

[This message has been edited by heedm (edited 27 January 2001).]

Dave Jackson
28th Jan 2001, 01:06
Heedm

I have been having a 'discussion' with a gentleman on another forum regarding oscillating Coriolis and the universal [knuckle] joint effect, for over a month now.

Your mathematical proof will be very beneficial. I will pay the postage, but to reduce weight, please keep the type small. :-)

------------------
Dave J Project: SynchroLite.com