PDA

View Full Version : Additional Forums

MBJ
25th Jan 2001, 21:57
Just been lurking through messages. I think "Stikker" (Who he? - Ed) is bonkers to want operator's forums - not enough of us. If you're in a big outfit chat to your pals in the crewroom.

However, in view of all the tedious banging on about Robinsons (Which I do fly from time time to time - and I don't despise them as some old hacks pretend to do)there is an argument for a "RW Training" forum which should scoop up the Wannabes and those with an axe to grind about R22's and would leave the main forum for steely-eyed, lantern jawed, Jet A1 sniffers and their (our?) Shock Horror Giant 'Copter Death Plunge scandal-mongering.

helidrvr
25th Jan 2001, 23:34
IMHO, casting out the "wannabees" would be just about the most stupid thing an old timer like me could do! These are the folks who ask all the questions which, together with their answers, are buried in some long forgotten recess of my cranial computer. God knows what trouble I could get into if it wasn't for these eager pups.

An insurance underwriter once told me that (statistically) the most accident prone pilots are the 500 hour wonders and the 5000 hour pro's. The former because they think that they will be able to do just about anything with a helicopter and the latter because they know that they have.

To all you newbies and PPL's:

Stick around and fire away with your questions. More than once have you reminded me of something I should never have forgotten in the first place. You may have saved my life and for that you have my humble gratitude.

Cheers http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

------------------
You are welcome to visit HELIDRVR here (http://www.helidrvr.homestead.com)

MBJ
25th Jan 2001, 23:40
Oh all right, then

Out of Balance
25th Jan 2001, 23:41
Good idea. I'd like to open up an interesting sounding thread and not find myself groaning when discovering the usual suspects waxing lyrical on POF and the R22. There is a place for this type discussion however, and perhaps it is a 'rotary training' forum.

Out of Balance
26th Jan 2001, 00:12
Democracy in action MBJ!

Earpiece
26th Jan 2001, 01:58
Mark(BJ) That is what I had in mind all along - a Robinson Forum (((moderated by Lu Zuckerman????!!!)))

"Hiding both ears near the ground"

MBJ
26th Jan 2001, 03:27
Yes, Good solution!!!

I read someone saying if you don't like it don't read it BUT there is a hideous fascination about the concept of 4 pages on coriolis effect and lemming-like you tip into it! I am on the AOL free 50 hours offer at the moment so I feel better about the compulsion to open up the thread.

Whirlybird
26th Jan 2001, 03:31
Point of information folks:

Lu Zuckerman started most of the R22 threads. Lu is not a wannabe. Most of the people who posted to them were not wannabes. Most of the wannabes who read this forum keep quiet most of the time (OK, so I'm an exception, but I don't post very often, and almost never on R22s).

So what exactly is this all about?

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

Pac Rotors
28th Jan 2001, 12:39
For my two cents worth I think its great having just the one forum. That way everyone can have their input on all topics as they are right there in front of them.

I think this forum should become the main one for the rotary wing industry. The only comment I would make is that it needs to include more threads relating to US, Canada and Downunder. Not knocking Europe etc but there is a lot more to the helo world out there.

MBJ
28th Jan 2001, 14:09
Fair enough Pacrotor, but the threads only happen when someone starts one. So get writing already!

I will hop to your 407 post with interest.

Pac Rotors
28th Jan 2001, 16:31
More than happy to start some and hopefully we can get the industry to come and visit. Will send an email to all those I have in my address book to come visit if it looks promising.

nomdeplume
29th Jan 2001, 02:29
Whirlybird
If you want to know what much of this is about, look at the "Military Training Wrong ....?" thread, skim through the contributions, and then read Hoverman's post which says it all.

PS: You even get a mention, a compliment even, but not by name!

[This message has been edited by nomdeplume (edited 28 January 2001).]

Whirlybird
29th Jan 2001, 13:47
Thanks nomdeplume. I hadn't been following that thread. I've now remedied that, all four pages, phew!

As far as Lu Zuckerman is concerned, Hoverman has summarised the general feelings of people here better than I could. But the point I was making was that it was rarely PPLs or wannabes who were responding to him. This thread seemed to be calling for a separation of professional pilots and others. On the basis of the R22 threads etc, I think that's uncalled for. That's all.

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

helimutt
29th Jan 2001, 14:03
When I started/asked the question on Coriolis effect and static droop, I didn't think it would go on for so long or thread out the way it has. I have to admit I don't even look at it anymore as my question was answered long ago. I am about to post another very simple question to do with robinson R22's but I wonder why everyone (nearly) knocks them. It's easy for all the high time Turbine pilots who don't know what flying is all about. I suppose it's likening a rolls royce (109 power) to a go kart (R22).
As I have to pay for my flying when I can't get instructing work, what is the alternative I wonder?
Carry on.............!