PDA

View Full Version : Ophelia to hit UK?

colmac747
16th Sep 2005, 20:51
Albeit a weakened hurricane..Even so! (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/150109.shtml?5day) :eek:

Farrell
16th Sep 2005, 21:14
It appears that it might hit the Republic of Ireland maybe.....and then if it has enough steam it might get across to the UK.

tony draper
16th Sep 2005, 21:18
Can't we sue somebody for this? after all this is a American hurricane int it?
:rolleyes:

Confabulous
16th Sep 2005, 22:01
We won't notice - Ireland's under a permanent hurricane as it is:{

Surely it's not possible for a hurricane to travel all the way across the Atlantic and still have enough puff to do damage?

SASless
16th Sep 2005, 23:07
Oh, you think so? Hang on bubba....one tore up the UK not so long ago....high winds...flooding...and still no preparedness plans in effect as apathy seems the norm. Posted an article in the Katrina thread that showed that to be the case. Some UK based study showed despite the flooding, nothing had been done to prepare for another event as happened before.:{

pzu
16th Sep 2005, 23:37
EQUINOX

Gentlemen

It's about the time of the Autumnal Equinox, 3 if not 4 years out of 5 we (here in the UK) experience High Winds/Storms which tend to originate from the West shortly after NE US/Canada experience Hurricane activity

PZULBA - Out of Africa

flapsforty
17th Sep 2005, 00:00
Yes it's possible Confab. We had one hit Norway this week. Caused mudlsides and flooding in the city of Bergen, people dead and wounded.
No joke and yes they do travel. :(

Onan the Clumsy
17th Sep 2005, 00:07
Surely it's not possible for a hurricane to travel all the way across the Atlantic and still have enough puff to do damage? It'd have to be a real puffy one...

...but then it's be called something likke Nigel or Quentin.

Irish Steve
17th Sep 2005, 01:07
Surely it's not possible for a hurricane to travel all the way across the Atlantic and still have enough puff to do damage?

Fraid it is, I'm not sure of the exact details, but just before we moved over here in 1989, there was some serious damage done to several areas of South Dublin as a result of very heavy rainfall that came out of the remnants of a hurricane. On the banks of the river that passes through Rathfarnham, there was plastic and other debris caught in the branches of the trees some 15 Ft above normal water level.

That was 15 or so years ago, with the massive increase in development that's happened since then, too much of it on flood plains, and with the appalling lack of clear and joined up thinking within local authority planning departments, the potential for serious damage if another hurricane passes over, or even very close, is not a pleasant thought.

Another incident that is worth mentioning is the famous ( or infamous) It's not a hurricane according to Michael Fish, and then it got it's act together as it came in from the Bay of Biscay, and knocked over thousands of trees, and many other things in the south of England. I flew over some of that area shortly after, and it was scary to see just how many trees had been uprooted by that incident.

With the way the weather patterns have changed in recent years, I suspect it's only a matter of time before Ireland and the UK get hit by weather that's a lot more violent and damaging than we've been used to in the past

planepsycho
17th Sep 2005, 02:58
You can have our leftover hurricanes, we don't mind!:ouch:

WhatsaLizad?
17th Sep 2005, 04:12
Me thinks you boys get more adverse weather in the winter from the North Atlantic than our left over blow events from the colonies.

On a more somber note, a few years ago Hurricane Mitch started out as a tropical wave off Africa on October 9. It ended up over the UK on November 10.

A good read is "The Ship and the Storm", about the loss of the Fantome, a Windjammer cruise lines sailing ship from hurricane Mitch. As an airline pilot, it is a somewhat sobering read in that no matter how much satellite and communications one may have, fate may put you in a position no better than a 16th century vessel may have faced.

One relevant note was that the remnants of Mitch interuptted the UK memorial service for the crew.

Helli-Gurl
17th Sep 2005, 06:49
It'd have to be a real puffy one...

In that case, they should have called it after my ex, I wonder if it'll bring some of my clothes back if it does make it this far!

;)

allan907
17th Sep 2005, 08:13
Our season is during the N Hemisphere late winter/early spring. We get some mighty cyclones but fortunately they mostly happen 'oop north where there aren't many people. However, occasionally they strike centres of population; Cyclone Tracy -Darwin 1974; Cyclone Vance - Exmouth March 1999

http://www.bom.gov.au/announcements/sevwx/vance.shtml

Farrell
17th Sep 2005, 09:19
Yes indeedy it can!

The worst damage and the worst weather I have ever seen was in the eighties and was done by the remnants of "Hurricane Charlie"

We had no idea it was coming and weren't in the least bit prepared - and it cost us a fortune!

http://www.science.ie/content/content.asp?section_id=606&language_id=1&publication_id=1829

B Fraser
17th Sep 2005, 09:43
Back in '87,we got clobbered when the remnants of a hurricane swung north up the east coast of the States and tracked across the Atlantic as a deep low. On October 15th, yours truly was a meteorologist although I hasten to point out I was on a training course at the time....honest guv.... i was somewhere else.....it wasn't me :D

That evening, the low intensified with the central pressure falling to around 940mb however our chums across the channel were on strike and we had no access to the observations from their stations that were close to the action.

The following day, Sevenoaks was renamed Oneoak as the other six had been uprooted :uhoh:

The question is not "can it happen again" but "when will it happen next".

Jordan D
17th Sep 2005, 09:45
As a geographer, its very possible for the reminance of a hurricane to come across the Atlantic and hit Europe ... its happened before and will happen again.

Jordan

colmac747
17th Sep 2005, 11:36
Would appear the track has taken a more northerly direction. Heading straight for the Faeroes now - might even blow them away:=

Confabulous
17th Sep 2005, 18:21
Now predicted to veer to the north, but computer models being as they are it could still hit us.

Hope it doesn't though.