View Full Version : Grits Recipe

SASless
16th Sep 2005, 07:52
1. Buy Box of dry Grits.
2. Boil Water.
3. Add Grits to taste.

tony draper
16th Sep 2005, 08:28
Grit is something we spread on the roads here in winter Mr S.
:rolleyes:

patdavies
16th Sep 2005, 08:54
I have tasted the cousin's version. 'tis the same thing:p

SASless
16th Sep 2005, 09:27
Ever try Cheese Grits with Fried Dove....Corn on the Cob, Frosty cold beer?

tall and tasty
16th Sep 2005, 09:30
Grits.............. Never tried them can you get them over here??(UK) if so does anyone know where?

Are they like couscous or is that something totally different.

I am game to try anything new to get the taste buds tantalised

TnT :p

OpenCirrus619
16th Sep 2005, 09:43
Take a bowl of porridge and throw in some sand to taste - you'll get the idea.

Farrell
16th Sep 2005, 10:07
Had grits once for breakfast at the Airport Tiki at Fort Pierce in Florida on the recommendation of Niki...........

........never, ever again!

SLFguy
16th Sep 2005, 10:22
bit like wet polenta...

:yuk:

SASless
16th Sep 2005, 10:47
TnT....

Grits are an acquired taste that only the more refined can appreciate. There are as many ways of doing up Grits as you can imagine. It does in fact take imagination to do them well. Those that find them dull and boring must not be able to make the transition from mere eating to dining.

Some prefer them with salt and pepper...maybe a dash of Tabasco...or with sugar and milk or honey and cream...or each with a touch of good old fashioned salt butter.

The secret to good Grits is to have an open mind and being able to accept that a step out of the rut one usually runs in is a good thing. Mind you....there are many that only try to taste a single grit or two and thus announce their lack of culinary enlightenment to the service staff or their host.

One must also recall that Grits are a "Southern Thang" and thus the nuance of cuisine enters into play which gets hard to appreciate with an up-turned nose. A fuller enjoyment of the Southern delicacy known as Grits involves the inclusion of the olfactory senses as well as the taste buds.

:E

Subtle hints don't work on me... Obviously!

TheFlyingSquirrel
16th Sep 2005, 11:39
( Remember SASless has got a beard everyone !! ):E

Huron Topp
16th Sep 2005, 12:00
I've always found Grits (Girls Raised In The South) to be very tasty.:E

As for the other version of Grits being a Southern thing...not so. Us North of 49ers simply call them them what they are...corn meal mush. Make 'em the same as porridge, top with a bit of milk and maple syrup. mmmmmmm...

Then again, maybe that would work as well with the first type too.:ok:

Charlie Foxtrot India
16th Sep 2005, 14:07
Sounds just like the stuff my West Virginian rellies call "Greeeeeeyuts"

Rels reckoned it was fair that we should be forced to eat greeeeeeyuts when visiting them, if they were forced to eat my Mum's English cooking when they visited us!

:yuk:

And what's the story with the cold tea?
:yuk: :yuk:

Foss
16th Sep 2005, 20:28
SAS

That recipe was incomplete.

1. Buy Box of dry Grits.
2. Boil Water.
3. Add Grits to taste.
4. Spit out grits
5. Kick SC born wife in backside.
6. Shout 'That's bloody horrible woman'
7. Start frying bacon.

And yes, cold tea is mad, as is doing

anything whatsoever with chicken feet

pigboat
16th Sep 2005, 21:18
Tall and tasty, grits by any other name would still be cream of wheat. The stuff in the yellow box with the black guy in the chef's hat on it.
Actually like mah grits with Virginia ham and red-eye gravy. :ok:

twilightsglow
16th Sep 2005, 22:52
And yes, cold tea is mad, as is doing anything whatsoever with chicken feet
But chicken feet add flavor :sad:

My grandmother would never make soup without them.

reynoldsno1
17th Sep 2005, 23:08
I think the full name is Hominy Grits. Hominy is corn with the hull and germ removed (i.e industrial food waste). In an attempt ? to give it calcium values it is soaked in wood ash lye. It has gained some favour as an antistrontium absorbent - so probably popular among major chemical and nuclear accident emergency workers.

Hominy can be dried and ground into a coarse flour for baking, cooked as a cereal, or used in any recipe calling for corn. Hominy grits are the broken grains, which can also be used as a substitute for cat litter.

Serves 4. Enjoy

tony draper
17th Sep 2005, 23:13
Throw in some hog jowls and turnip greens, deelish.
:rolleyes:

Hawk
18th Sep 2005, 03:59
2/3 cup Grits (slow cooking)
3/4 tsp Salt 3 1/3 c Boiling water OR 2 1/3 c Water mixed with 1 c Non-dairy cream, brought to boil.

Stir grits slowly into boiling salted water in heavy saucepan. Return to boil; reduce heat and cover.
Cook slowly for 25 to 30 min., stirring occasionally. Serve with butter as side dish for breakfast as an accompaniment to smothered liver. (If served with liver - chicken liver is best), prepare with nondairy cream and water, and use pareve margarine on grits.)

Yum. :ok:

reynoldsno1
18th Sep 2005, 05:02
smothered liver
Does this mean the donor animal was suffocated?:uhoh:

SASless
18th Sep 2005, 08:25
Just how many animals "donate"? Do we give awards for giving one's life for the betterment of society to chickens that wind up at KFC....say an AFC (Avian Food Cross) DFC (Distinguished Fryer Cross)?:E

tony draper
18th Sep 2005, 09:09
I can remember when chicken was a luxury food, we only saw chicken at christmas dinner,true that is,hard to believe now,SWH gets a couple cooked chickens every week,and Drapes gets fish fingers.
:(

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Sep 2005, 11:46
...Pecking order getting you down, Herr D? :E

tony draper
18th Sep 2005, 12:05
Truth to tell,one prefers fish fingers, yer chicken is a tasteless critter now,unless smothered with curry or summat,one suspects its a evolutionary survival ploy by the chicken,each generation become more and more devoid of taste untill their main predator mankind,stop scoffing them.
:cool:

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Sep 2005, 12:21
Always found sticking some coarsely chopped onion and rosemary up it's bum with lossa salt and pepper enhances the flavour somewhat. The battery chooks seem to arrive with batteries not included, as well as flavour not included. One prefers the ones one gets at one's local butchery wot come from his farm. Meaty buggers with plenty flavour, they is. Must be all the spiders they scoff...

SASless
18th Sep 2005, 17:10
Pat them down with flour and Cajun spice....deep fat fry the whole bird (less feathers and miscellaneous other bits)....excellent fare! Basting is done with a cold beer in yer mitt while you watch the oil bubble away. Turkey is even better done that way!

A guy named Cabela's in Sidney, Nebraska has all the kit for doing it right!