PDA

View Full Version : How long to command

Hachiouji-shi
16th Sep 2005, 02:32
How long on average does it take to get to command at various airlines in Australiasia?

There are too many to name but if this post is read and you know the duration for any airline, do fill us in, thanks.

Chilli Tarts
16th Sep 2005, 23:31
How long is a piece of string?

Fair.Pilot
19th Sep 2005, 04:33
Please don't post any unneccessary reply if u don't know the answer! Typical aussie...

Kaptin M
19th Sep 2005, 05:25
On which type?
What is your current experience (hours and types)?
Are you talking about small operators (eg. single pilot ops) that call themselves airlines, or are you referring to operators of multi-crew aircraft?
Do you already have a command rating on the type of aircraft operated by the company you had in mind?

For the mainstream, multi-crew operators, it might be as short as 6 months - and it could also be 12 years +

How long is a piece of string?

(A typical Aussie :ok: )

swh
19th Sep 2005, 08:29
Is the question from when ones leave school, obtains a CPL, or from starting at a particular airline ? How long is a piece of string?

For something like a DHC8, might take you 3-5 years to get the experience to qualify to apply, then another 5 years due to seniority based system to get command.

Qantas on current rates, could be 20 years, maybe sooner if they merge with SQ.

Virgin, guessing 5-10 years

Rex - 3-5

National Jet 5-10 of a jet, shorter on the dash 8

Sunstate & Eastern - 4-7 years

Jetstar - Depends on expansion

But it might take you 3 years ontop of that to earn enough to get a CPL.

So .. How long is a piece of string?

(Another typical Aussie :ok: )

BlueEagle
19th Sep 2005, 12:43
Fair.Pilot

If you were to start as a cadet with a major flag carrier then you could reasonably expect thirteen to eighteen years to Command of a wide-body aircraft from the date they issue you with a number. An exception is SIA when local cadets can expect command after about ten years but this is unusual.

For a command on a wide body jet, from date of first qualifying to line in a multi crew environment, not likely to be less than ten years but nearer thirteen to fifteen would not be unreasonable.

In rapidly expanding airlines these numbers can be drastically reduced from time to time, but, rest assured, when it is your turn there will be an ample supply of suitably qualified chaps!;)

Hachiouji-shi
20th Sep 2005, 12:18
Thanks to all.

Ok how about this. From an S/O or F/O to CMD in

1) Qantas
2) VB
3) EVA
4) China Airlines
5) Japan Airlines
6) Malaysian
7) Singapore Airlines
8) Emirates

Ok, there are more but I will stop here before it gets too exhaustive.

typhoonpilot
20th Sep 2005, 12:53
The problem with any answer given here is that it could very easily change. When you ask the question of a recuiter they will generally give you an answer based on what is happening at the time the question is asked, i.e. at the current time, upgrade at Emirates is three years ( that is for people hired three years ago ), it will not be the same for someone hired today.

When I was hired by a major in the States they told me five years, because that is what is was at the moment. It is now 16 years later and I am no closer to a command at that airline than I was then :ugh:

What you need to do is get the profile of all pilots on the seniority list and of the airline's current expansion plans. Based on retirement dates and growth of the airline you could calculate time to upgrade. Of course that is all based on nothing changing between the time you make the calculation and the time in the future that you predict you will upgrade. It never works that way because we work in a rapidly changing environment.

The bottom line is that it is best to get on with either a rapidly expanding, profitable airline or one with a large number of retiring pilots in the near future.

Typhoonpilot

CAT IIIB
20th Sep 2005, 14:02
Dear Hachiouji-shi,Konbanwa..,

1)Malaysia Airlines-from S/O to Command Narrowbody ,it will take forever!At the current situtation now, you'll be lucky to get your Lefthand Seat on the Widebody before you retire!

2)Etihad Airways-from F/O to Captain on the A330-18 months!(I'm not joking).

SuperRanger
21st Sep 2005, 03:45
2)Etihad Airways-from F/O to Captain on the A330-18 months!(I'm not joking).
but i think they had about 6-8years of experience with their previous airline, no?

CAT IIIB
23rd Sep 2005, 02:38
Yes,but more to because they are the early birds.