PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow very low flying!

andyhelo
15th Sep 2005, 20:31
Ive just witnessed a search and rescue helicopter, in red and white, (looked like a S61, but most likely a Sea King.) flying down the Clyde at approx. 200 feet with its search light on. It few past, below the hight of the Glasgow Collage Of Nautical Studies, then at the next bridge, descended to around 50 feet. Anyone with more info, or anyone who could tell me if this is a frequent occurence, please reply. Im sure they were looking for a person who may have fallen/jumped in, but would like to know more.

Cheers, Andyhelo

zorab64
15th Sep 2005, 23:13
In that neck of the woods, its most likely to have been a Royal Navy Seaking from Prestwick. Used to be 819 Sqn although I have a feeling they're part of 771 now - I stand to be corrected.

I think you'll find that, if it's the Navy, and therefore a Seaking, it will have been grey & red - the white & red tend to be Coastguard / Bristows SAR S61s.

Flying from 200' to a 50' hover at night, over the water, is well within the capabilities of this greatest of submarine-chasing helicopters, now admirably still serving in the SAR role.:ok:

andyhelo
16th Sep 2005, 15:15
Thanks for that, it just amazed me that in was in the centre of glasgow!

Cheers, andyhelo

Freebird17
16th Sep 2005, 16:20
Is there not a heliport on the Clyde near that part of the city?

Taffer
16th Sep 2005, 16:23
The Sea Kings from the SAR flight at Gannet (from 771 squadron based at, um, Culdrose) are a fairly common sight over Glasgow - though not usually at low level.

They sometimes make hospital/organ flights, and I have seen a Sea King or two in the car park of the SECC - too big to fit into the adjacent heliport!

With it being back to school/college time, it might have been doing a display for folks at the Nautical College. Maybe there's a PPRuNer here at Gannet who can provide more info.?

Here's their RN mini-site:

HMS Gannet (http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/2865.html)

serf
16th Sep 2005, 16:57
they were helping to look for a young man who jumped from one of the bridges - his body has since been found by police divers

kpiko3
17th Sep 2005, 13:34
If it was the RN Seaking from PIK it wouldnt of been white and red, as Zorab64 said probably grey and red.

kpiko3