PDA

View Full Version : Russian woman delivers baby on plane

747FOCAL
15th Sep 2005, 19:13
Russian woman delivers baby on plane
Associated Press Newswires 09/15/05
Copyright 2005. The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

MOSCOW (AP) -- A Russian woman traveling on an Aeroflot flight from Moscow to Los Angeles gave birth on the plane, the carrier said Thursday.

Lyudmila Yalinus delivered her baby boy with the help of several flight attendants after two doctors who were on board refused to help for unspecified reasons, said Viktor Sokolov, an Aeroflot spokesman.

The delivery went well and Yalinus was able to leave the plane on her own carrying the baby and was greeted by the infant's father, Sokolov told The Associated Press. "It is amazing that she was able to get off the plane herself. That speaks to the strength of women's bodies," Sokolov said.

Yalinus started having contractions seven hours into the 12-hour flight.

The pilot requested a landing at the nearest military airport in Canada but was told the runway was too short for the Boeing 767 and continued on to Los Angeles, Sokolov said.

Like U.S. carriers, Aeroflot requires medical consent for a pregnant woman to fly if she is traveling within four weeks of her due date.

TightSlot
15th Sep 2005, 20:00
Congratulations to Ms Yalinus and also to those who helped (it's a baby! Everybody loves a baby)

Question: No other diversion airfield available for 767? On an ETOPS track, can this be correct?

Technical folk please advise

groundbum
15th Sep 2005, 21:02
my understanding is that if the baby was born in/"over" America then it's American. And now petition for it's mother to stay him/her permanently in the US. Mexican ladies near birth used to dash over the border so their little one would be born in America..

Simon

whattimedoweland
15th Sep 2005, 21:25
Will the baby get free flights for life on Aeroflot:O .

Well done to the crew for their help:ok:

WTDWL.

747FOCAL
16th Sep 2005, 04:46
Yes I know why the doctors refused to help, but I can guarantee you that they would have needed enough medical attention to force a landing by not helping my pregnant wife deliver a baby. :mad:

eal401
16th Sep 2005, 06:49
Yes I know why the doctors refused to help
Could you elaborate?

I was under the impression that doctors could not "refuse," it's against that oath they take? Hypocratic or something? Someone else probably knows what I am on about!!

hoofie
16th Sep 2005, 07:49
I presume the doctor's don't want to get involved in case anything goes wrong with the delivery and they get sued.

It's a sad day when they do this. Some countries have a 'Good Samaritan' Law - I wonder if the doctors could be prosecuted under such a law for NOT providing assistance ?

Leftit2L8
16th Sep 2005, 11:09
People masquerade as Dr's when checking in the hope of an up-grade. Once heard about a guy who said he was a Dr and when his services were needed, transpired he was a Dr of philosophy !

NZLeardriver
16th Sep 2005, 12:36
I'm pretty sure that the baby will still be Russian, as the flight is Russian until landing. Also if the baby is born on American soil it is a citizen. The parents cannot claim anything from that relationship until the child is 21.

BleriotXI
16th Sep 2005, 13:29
Wow that's one the crew will remember for the rest of their lives. Those doctors were probably dentists :}

WHBM
16th Sep 2005, 15:50
Yalinus started having contractions seven hours into the 12-hour flight.

The pilot requested a landing at the nearest military airport in Canada but was told the runway was too short for the Boeing 767 and continued on to Los Angeles, Sokolov said.
This just seems wrong. Would put them up by Yellowknife NWT, later come Edmonton and Calgary, even before the US border. Can NONE of these handle/be bothered to handle a 767 medical diversion ?

cwatters
16th Sep 2005, 18:18
This just seems wrong

What does? Is it compulsory to have your baby in a hospital in the USA now :-)

PAXboy
17th Sep 2005, 00:56
People masquerade as Dr's when checking in the hope of an up-grade. Once heard about a guy who said he was a Dr and when his services were needed, transpired he was a Dr of philosophy! Sure a Phd friend of mine is often asked on flights if she is a medic and they always accept her explanation. She says that, on occasions, she thinks it has contributed to her recieving an upgrade but that was ten years ago - it does not happen now.

sikeano
17th Sep 2005, 11:33
quote:

"it is amazing that she was able to get off the plane herself ,that speaks to the strength of the womens bodies " sokolov said

really truly amazing even i am amazed when i get off aeroflot :cool: