PDA

View Full Version : Yet another English test

Bre901
15th Sep 2005, 16:38
here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4246472.stm)

It's easier than the ones that were posted here some time ago, though.

djk
15th Sep 2005, 16:44
I got 19 out of 20, I think it was the 3rd one I got wrong out of all that.

Grainger
15th Sep 2005, 17:16
retired grammar school teacher Janice Owen Well 0/10 Janice for:"I've found my long lost brother," said Jamie comma should be outside the quote marks.

Tsk, tsk.

tart1
15th Sep 2005, 17:30
Should it?? :confused:

Test is a piece of p*ss - too easy. :8

Onan the Clumsy
15th Sep 2005, 17:34
it was the 3rd one I got wrong out of all that that's because you're from the smoke and "Food for though" IS an alliteration where you come from :}

Comma outside the quotes AND full stop inside them :8

djk
15th Sep 2005, 17:35
Onan,

it was the one about the "bee buzzed around the room" I forget which number it was.

Onan the Clumsy
15th Sep 2005, 17:39
I read that at "The tree buzzed around the room" but i still got it correct.

The rest was a humeliashun thoug. Especially the speeling.

:ugh:

djk
15th Sep 2005, 17:41
I just had no idea what an onomatopoeia is/was or whatever

tart1
15th Sep 2005, 18:00
I'm really intrigued.

What is wrong with

"I've found my long lost brother," said Jamie.

.....apart from the lack of a hyphen in long-lost? :confused: :confused:

Perhaps it's a difference between US and UK language.

Send Clowns
15th Sep 2005, 18:00
Word that sounds as it means, it is. Important as a literary device, as well as useful in common speech.

HowlingWind
15th Sep 2005, 18:19
.....apart from the lack of a hyphen in long-lost? Bingo! Hyphen was the correct answer. Step up to collect the prize!:O ;)

18 out of 20 -- blasted similes! And I thought I knew how to spell acomo...accomo...acommo...oh, whatever.

brockenspectre
15th Sep 2005, 18:36
: pats self on back: YAY 20/20 .... actually nearly missed the hyphen heheheh I am so glad that finally I excel at something. Sad though that it is in a questionnaire that I probably would have sailed through age 9!!! :ok:

tart1
15th Sep 2005, 18:40
Sorry, I'm not making myself very clear tonight.

My question was for Grainger who thought that the comma should be outside the quotation marks. (I don't agree BTW!)

:cool: :cool:

Darth Nigel
15th Sep 2005, 20:20
20 out of 20!!!

:ok:

Send Clowns
15th Sep 2005, 20:28
Grainger is correct. there should always be a comma between quotation marks denoting speaking and the description of how they are spoken, or so I was always taught. The author should have written,"I've found my long-lost brother", said Jamie.Impressed how many here know about the hyphenation of compound adjectives, though. One often missed.

Grainger
15th Sep 2005, 20:36
Exactly. The comma is not part of what Jamie said. Unless, of course, he followed it with a subordinate clause:

"I found my long-lost brother, although he didn't recognise me because of his amnesia", said Jamie.

However, in the example given there is no indication that such a clause would be forthcoming.

Send Clowns
15th Sep 2005, 20:50
Are Santa's elves subordinate clauses? If a clause comes to be so long that you forget to finish the original sentence, is that an insubordinate clause?

Sorry.

Check please!

tart1
15th Sep 2005, 21:24
Well, I have never seen it done that way.

I refer you to one of my proofreading bibles, Mind The Stop by G V Carey (page 78) ..........

"I have no idea what you are talking about," he replied.

If the quote were to be interrupted by the 'he replied' bit then it would indeed have the comma outside the quotation marks ........

"I have no idea", he replied, "what you are talking about."

I'm still with Janice Owen on this one!

;) ;)

Here's some more:

'If the quotation is a complete sentence in itself, the punctuation must fall within the marks. If, on the other hand, the quoted material is part of a larger sentence, the punctuation must fall outside the marks. This is a very simple rule but one which is broken time and time again.'

(Chapterhouse Proofreading course 1991)

radeng
15th Sep 2005, 21:44
I don't think the hyphen is correct, anyway.
It's certainly arguable.

Like so many things in English grammer - see Lynne Truss' book 'Eat shoots and leaves'.

tart1
15th Sep 2005, 21:59
Trust me Radeng .......... it's correct.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fmgc
15th Sep 2005, 22:42
Is long-lost in the dictionary? If not then it shoud be long lost.

Found the answer here. (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=47065&dict=CALD)

Send Clowns
15th Sep 2005, 23:03
radeng - he is neither long nor lost. He is long-lost, as he was previously lost for a long time. The adjective must be compounded to make sense.

However be careful, there are many examples where the same words are hyphenated when used as a compound adjective, but not when they are used for another purpose, such as an adjective and noun.

seacue
16th Sep 2005, 03:07
Yeh ... long-lost ... compund adjective. Drilled into me by our administrative assistant, English language major at uni, WW2 Catalina pilot.

Foss
16th Sep 2005, 22:45
"It's the comma before the quotation marks, full point too," said Fos.
"Although don't forget the other important rule.
"Don't put quotations at the end of paragraphs if you are carrying on the quote," he implored.

Fos
BOUND to be a typo in there

JustaFew
17th Sep 2005, 00:15
Several memos we receive contain the usual mis-spellings and wrong grammar, but someone somehow re-spelt 'original'; it now contains 'anal'!!!? :confused: