View Full Version : I know something you don't

Onan the Clumsy
15th Sep 2005, 15:38
Not only is the pound or hash sign # called the Octothorpe, but apparently, the forward slash / is called the solidus

:8 :8 :8 :8 :8 :8

rhythm method
15th Sep 2005, 15:40
I thought everyone knew that, it's just we don't go around bragging about it!!


15th Sep 2005, 15:47
Which of course makes the backward slash \ the reverse solidus.

Darth Nigel
15th Sep 2005, 15:49
Thought the / was called the virgule.

And # is not a pound sign --- £ is a pound sign.
:8 :8

15th Sep 2005, 15:52
Bet you don't know what ¬ is called?

15th Sep 2005, 15:52
Here in France, a virgule, is a comma! :8

Darth Nigel
15th Sep 2005, 15:54
¬ might be a "not" symbol, used in symbolic logic.

(what's the over/under number on when Danny steps in and p!sses on this thread too?)

tony draper
15th Sep 2005, 15:54
Bet yers don't know the name of the little groove betwixt yer nose and top lip,
and!!what is the name of the 27th letter of the alphabet?huh huh, go on then go on!! worrisit.

15th Sep 2005, 16:00
Isn't virgule the pilot of Thunderbird 2 ??... Philtral Columns ??

15th Sep 2005, 16:00
HA! It's called the Philtrum!


15th Sep 2005, 16:09
Phew , is that all, though you were going to tell me my ex boyfriend is really married and all along I've been having an affair with a married man!!! ;)


tall and tasty
15th Sep 2005, 16:10
And # is not a pound sign --- £ is a pound sign.
I am sure we have been here with this before. I am using another US key board with no £ sign shown just the # sign and have to remember where all the alt keys are to change them.

Keeps me on my toes thought, but could not tell you what they are called

TnT :p :O

15th Sep 2005, 16:12
Re 27th letter of the alphabet, are you refering to the 'thorn' Mr Draper?

Thorn (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2922077)

Originates from the Runic alphabet know as the 'Fuporc' I understand.

The 27th letter of the Afghan alphabet is known as the 'Meem'.

Ain't Google wonderful!

Capn Notarious
15th Sep 2005, 16:12
You are all being very silly, either that or the non wearing of hats has allowed damp in your circuits.

Lon More
15th Sep 2005, 16:28
Amazing what you can learn here. I always thought that a "FuŽorc" was what a hobbit with a bad cold called an annoying orc.

and that # was called the hash sign

15th Sep 2005, 16:36
Exactly! Onan, Darth and Tall! Why in Hell do people call this "#" a "pound" sign? And on that topic, do they mean pound Sterling or pound avoirdupois? And do they know the difference?

15th Sep 2005, 16:49
I thought '#' came in kilos not pounds?


As I See It
15th Sep 2005, 17:05
'Avoirdupois', weight a minute, I think I know this one!

15th Sep 2005, 17:29
Just being franco-common-market-friendly. But still, Why?

tony draper
15th Sep 2005, 17:37
The Ampersand "&" was concidered the 27th letter of the alphabet.
So there.

Onan the Clumsy
15th Sep 2005, 17:41
except THIS is the ampersand ===> &

:} :} :}

15th Sep 2005, 18:01
... and its optional names are "ampassyand", "ampussyand", and "ampusand", for the old way of naming the character "&", meaning "and -- per se -- and", i.e., "& by itself = and"; so the Shorter Oxford would have us believe. Not many people, I think, know that. Onan may now be one of the few in Texas.

Now that I know this I may bring it up in conversation, but I may favour the ampussyand variant. I am willing to share.

tony draper
15th Sep 2005, 18:07
You are of course correct Mr Onan, one did not realise one had a Ampersand on one's keyboard, one has now rectified the error.
One is still suprised that apparently there is no name for the 1/8th segment of a sphere.

15th Sep 2005, 19:01
One is still suprised that apparently there is no name for the 1/8th segment of a sphere. Is this not an octant? :confused:

captain cumulonimbus
15th Sep 2005, 19:05
No No No DARTH NIGEL ,the VIRGULE is french for the comma (,).Interesting Thread here:ok: It appeals to my inner geek.:ok: :cool:

tony draper
15th Sep 2005, 19:18
Don't think so Mr Wind,we had a long thread on the subject a while back,one expressed suprise at a specise like us talking monkeys who have thunk up posh names for everything(generaly in some dead foreign lingo) had not come up with a latin or greek one for yer the quarter hemisphere.

15th Sep 2005, 19:27
Okay smart @rses, who knows what dwile flonking is? :suspect:

15th Sep 2005, 19:33
A good excuse for getting drunk and celebrating Christmas in August?

Dwile flonking (http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/going_out/pubs/2003/09/dwile_flonking/introduction.shtml)

Onan the Clumsy
15th Sep 2005, 19:47
do they mean pound Sterling or pound avoirdupois? No, they use it to mean weight. :p

15th Sep 2005, 19:57
A thread to be sure provoking flaring of the nares and restless shifting of the nates. . . . .

. . . . . . and no, my dearest Virginia, both astronomically and anatomically, the diameter of Uranus is not the same as Mars.

15th Sep 2005, 20:01
A bit late to this thread, and everyone else seems to have gone to bed (?), but I know what this :- is called, and who named it so... :- :8

Gordon Fraser
15th Sep 2005, 22:37
Amos Thirkle says that I am dull-witted enough to start the Flonk so here goes

Here y'go t'gither

So now I'm the jobanow.

Eat your heart out, Onan!!

15th Sep 2005, 22:41
Onan, wake up! Old chap. As I See It gave us that one hours ago.

tony draper
15th Sep 2005, 22:44
For some reason armpits are called oxters round here, although in truth one has not heard them addressed thusly for many years, vests are were called simmets in the Jockistani manner in times past as well, tiz a funny old world.

Onan the Clumsy
16th Sep 2005, 01:07
I figured out why they called your local shops The Messages ;)

17th Sep 2005, 00:25
Octant, Flemish/Walloon for eighty?

17th Sep 2005, 04:27
Where might you be if you noticed that your baggywrinkles were slipping, or worse, that your futtock shrouds were loose? Would a judicious c*nt splice fix any of this?

17th Sep 2005, 07:26
For some reason armpits are called oxters round here,

I prefer to reverse the logic, Drapes: for some reason uneducated people call oxters armpits. Oxters is a much better word.

Oxter pumping is the process of imitating a fart by putting your hand into your oxter and pumping your arm up and down.

17th Sep 2005, 08:29
Just to stir the pot a little.

I found out that in the medical world # means fracture!

:) :) :)

17th Sep 2005, 08:39
I know that women were banned by royal decree from using hotel swimming pools in Saudi Arabia in 1979.

Now you know that too. ;)

tony draper
17th Sep 2005, 08:42
In England we call Braces braces, sensibly enough,but the cousins call braces suspenders,whereas we call suspenders suspenders,but in the N/E braces are known as Galluses?for some reason, one is not sure of the spelling.
Personelly one wears a belt,and even the cousins call a belt a belt.

17th Sep 2005, 09:21
Once upon a time I was playing Pictionary with some friends from the US. I had to draw the word 'suspenders'. Not realising the vocabulary change across the Atlantic, I drew what I know as suspenders - no one guessed the word for some reason, and much doubt was cast upon the cleanliness of my mind.