PDA

View Full Version : Office2000Pro/XP Office Small Business

BlueEagle
15th Sep 2005, 13:18
Now here's the thing.
I am running XP Pro with XP Pro Small Business edition. I have been given a perfectly legitimate copy of Office2000Pro complete with product key etc. Have tried several times and ways to install, via 'Customise', just Power Point and Access, every time I try it just goes in to full install mode, stuffs up my existing Outlook programme, (haven't even looked at what it does to Word, Excel etc), and won't listen to any thing I say, goes ahead and installs the entire Office2000 programme.

Am I attempting the impossible? Is there a way to separate out the two programmes I want and will they be compatible with OfficeXP Small Business edition?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Buttino
15th Sep 2005, 15:20
Try installing Office 2000 to a different location. I guess it may be trying to upgrade even though you've got a newer version already installed.

BlueEagle
17th Sep 2005, 04:27
Thanks Buttino, I've tried that now but unfortunately that doesn't work either, (I tried putting it on a totally physically separate HDD), sure enough it took over the existing icons on the desk top.

Think I may have to do without Access and Power Point!

Avtrician
17th Sep 2005, 07:54
The package is not realy designed for installing seperate modules, as you dont have the seperate keys. You will need to install the whole lot.

BlueEagle
18th Sep 2005, 10:22
Thanks Avtrician, makes you wonder why they offer the option of "Customized Install" doesn't it!!!?

MS wins again.

Saab Dastard
18th Sep 2005, 11:25
Avtrician,

I have a copy of Office 2000 Pro, and a copy of Office XP Pro. With both, I can elect to install some or all of the components.

I can state categorically that it is possible to install them without Access, Outlook and Frontpage.

Before you ask, this is work-related, building PC images - I didn't buy Office Pro and then not use it!

Blue Eagle - I have no experience of Office SBE, but I suspect that what might be happening is that when you attempt to install Office 2000, it searches the registry, finds the (later) versions you already have installed and believes that, as they are installed, it needs to "update" them. I can't see a way around that, though you might want to try the MS website and search the knowledgebase.

All I can suggest is that you uninstall Office SBE completely, then install O2K with the components you want, then install SBE over the top.

I can't guarantee that it would work, but it might.

SD

BlueEagle
18th Sep 2005, 23:02
Thanks for that Saab, I''l give it a go when I have a bit of spare time!